Review: Asus O! Play Mini

Review: Asus O! Play Mini

After much delay posting this short review.

The player was with me for hardly 20 mins, which i somehow utilized to squeeze out these points. The Pics have been clicked with HTC Incredible S, so something else which might interest you
happy19.gif

Introduction:-

Asus O! Play Mini is a compact media player which is capable of playing most of the video and audio formats apart from the usual picture files. Main attraction is a basic player which promises to deliver while still keeping the pricing to a bare minimum. Sure the player doesnt gives two hoots to future proofing by including the USB 3.0 support, but does provides the goodness of 7.1 surround sound and support for full 1080p. NAS, DLNA and 3.5" HDD support augments the package.

2ekm5jo.jpg

334qiz4.jpg

Package Contents:-

1) Asus O Play Mini

2) Composite Cables

3) Ac Adapter

4) Remote for the player

5) Installation Disc

6) Manual

7) Remote Batteries

Asus has taken out the HDMI cable from the bundle when it was announced.

o926iv.jpg

jqlxsi.jpg

Specifications:-

Dimensions (WxDxH):-

151.85 x 106.7 x 29.03 mm

Weight:-

175 g

Input:-

1 x DC Power In

1 x USB Port(s)

1 x S/PDIF (Optical)

4 -in-1 Card Readers ( SD/ MS/ xD/ MMC)

Output:-

Composite Video

Composite Audio L/R

S/PDIF Out (Optical)

HDMI 1.3

Power:- 12 Vdc, 2 A

Power Consumption:- 10 W

File Systems:-

FAT16/32, NTFS, HFS/HFS+, EXT3

Format Comatibility

Image : JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF

Subtitle : SRT, SUB, SMI, SSA, ASS, IDX, TXT

Audio : MP3, WAV, AAC, OGG, FLAC, AIFF, Dolby Digital AC3, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS 2.0 +Digital out, Tag ID3

Video : MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, RM, RMVB, VC-1, H.264

Video File Extension : TRP, MP4, MOV, Xvid, AVI, ASF, WMV, MKV, RMVB 720p, RMVB 1080p, FLV, TS, MTS, M2TS, DAT, MPG, VOB, ISO, IFO, M1V, M2V, M4V

Set Up:-

Setting up the Player is easy as you would like. Plug in the component cables and the adapter at the back and you are set. The regular jazz.

My testing of this player was carried out on Samsung 32" LCD. Stock Settings. O/p was derived via HDMI cable.

13z01g5.jpg

First thing which comes to the mind is "Boy! This player is really tiny!!"

dmclg0.jpg

Upon firing up the player you are greeted with the set up screen.

You proceed to set the Language and Time.

2eg46jp.jpg

Through with the initial step, you are presented with a basic menu.

Menu comprises of Movie/Songs/Pics/Folder By/Setting options.

Be Warned, If you select the Movie files option.. and you happen to have a large stash of movies on your HDD, then may the force be with you.

Expected action was to scan only the files on the root of the HDD and display the rest folders simply but the player scans every video file, a la bot spiders of Minority Report, and you ll have to wait a decent bit. I had attached a 160GB hdd and i had to wait frustratingly.

Better option is to select the 'Folder By' option and navigate to your desired file.

2hnqqrr.jpg

The player displays the file names on the right side and opens a small display window on the left.

Interestingly, this is not a preview/sampler on your left. The player will go on to play the entire length of the movie file.

Performance:-

As expected, (although i was a bit jittery)

the player proceeded to play every file i threw at it. Be it the 720p or the 1080p file without any hitch.

Was pretty happy and satisfied with the performance. Then just like a sweeping thought, disconnected the HDD and played the same file directly via the LCD's USB

i noticed the details of the movie file via O Play Mini was a shade lesser. Just a spot.

To put it in perspective, the quality of USB playback was 10/10, Asus scored a very decent 9/10

I found the default level of brightness a shade higher. One quick adjustment in the menu to level 23/24 got things as desired. Nothing to crib about, just a heads up.

dxcsqe.jpg

The remote could have been supplied with better buttons. Meatier than usual meant that a bit of a play was there while pressing them. But they still did the job.

Positives:-

Form Factor: Seen lunch boxes bigger than this.

Setup: Simple and Jiffy.

Picture Quality: 9/10.

The cheap price cannot be ignored: ~3550 shipped.

Negatives:-

Noticed lag of 2 sec approx in oprations like stop, start.

Lags a wee bit while browsing through files.

Buttons surely are extra meaty. Tactile response is not tight.

HDMI cable not there in pckg.

The lags as mentioned above are there just for the sake of it.

For the price that they are being offered for, i dont think you can crib about it.

Verdict:-

Looking at the Asus O! Play Mini, and keeping the pricing in mind, the thought which comes to the mind automatically is.. that was it too hard for the stellar companies to come up with a device which did just what a player should and not cost a bomb??

The O play mini does that and doesnt burns a hole in the pocket at the same time.

With the pricing of 3550/- shipped that i got this player for, it really is the best bang for money out there as no other manufacturer has offered anything this cheap.

Whatever the little negatives i observed, they are just minor things which can be easily overlooked in the wake of the value for money deal being offered here.

A sureshot purchase for the needy. 5/5 Product.

Update:-

1) New firmware addresses the lag (during menu scrolling) and other UI issues.

2) Confirmed by users that Dolby True HD is working, but DTS HD MA still not supported

3) Price been jacked up to 3975/- now. The new pricing stings a little bit, as price bracket of ~35xx was sweet psychologically. But, it stil remains a nifty solution in its price range.

@eggman I got a normal HDMI cable and another cable to send the audio to my JVC music system. Unfortunately the sound was coming from both devices (TV and sound system) so I just hit mute for the TV sound and enjoyed a good listening experience with the sound system!

I am about to buy the O play mini can some one answer the below questions

1) Can i connect my WD passport 1TB HDD?

2) Can speakers be connected to the player to by pass the TV speakers ?

3) Any known issues as such ?

#Spacescreamer , #Ethan_Hunt some help here.

1.) Yes you can.

2.) Not sure. But there are composite and HDMI port at the back, so you should be able to do it using a converter I suppose.

3.) Nothing major. For me, it's a complete bang for buck player and has pretty much every feature that I need. Trust me, you'll get your money's worth.

2. Yes. Using the composite stereo cables, it can be done. Or alternately from the TV's stereo output jacks if the player is connected to the display using HDMI out.

@eggman I got a normal HDMI cable and another cable to send the audio to my JVC music system. Unfortunately the sound was coming from both devices (TV and sound system) so I just hit mute for the TV sound and enjoyed a good listening experience with the sound system!

Which cable did you use to connect to JVC music system?

@eggman Ii'm not exactly sure. A friend of mine picked them up for me and I connected them. Basically I'm connecting the red and white plugs to the O Play and the other end of it to my music systems port. Will take a closer look when I get back home!

Am a bit confused whether to buy this player or not.i will play mostly DVD rips(basically vob files) .how is the vob file playback...does it recognize the whole vob rip as a DVD & plays it with menus etc. or do we hv to manually select the vobs in the video_ts folder.

Also does the chapter skip/fast forward etc. work properly during vob or DVD iso playback.

How is the picture quality on an HDTV in comparison with a physical DVD & it's rip played on the asus?

I found that the budget Sony blu ray player BDP s380 (its a bit costly though but i wanted an all in one device)can recognize vob files & is also ntfs hdd compatible.so will that be a better option as it will also play blu rays & DVDs as well .?

Hi guys.

I want to buy this asus mini, but there is one thing that I need to make sure.

I have a home theater Sony (ss380). If i connect the asus in the HT using HDMI cable, the home theater will be able to reproduce HD sounds like DTS HD and TRUE HD?

Thank u very much!

Hi guys.

I want to buy this asus mini, but there is one thing that I need to make sure.

I have a home theater Sony (ss380). If i connect the asus in the HT using HDMI cable, the home theater will be able to reproduce HD sounds like DTS HD and TRUE HD?

Thank u very much!

Your home theater can decode those signals going by the specs listed, so yes.

PS: Did you get this system from India or abroad? Haven't seen this on the Sony Stores around.

Your home theater can decode those signals going by the specs listed, so yes.

PS: Did you get this system from India or abroad? Haven't seen this on the Sony Stores around.

Thank you
<

Actually, I bought it in Brazil, but i bought online and I haven't received yet, as soon I receive I'll let you know when it was made.

Hi, Space screamer,

Nice Review, excellent job..btw when i searched in ebay i could find one more player which does all dese that Aus does but for better bargain..jus chk out http://www.ebay.in/itm/Media-Player...=IN_DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item3cc01060b8.. what do u think of it.? Also did you check out connecting an External hard drive to it..? the speed taken to read from it?..the maximum movie size which it could read?(im asking bcos i got a 12 g.b dark knight movie in my E.h.d) .. please reply

1) My aim with Asus was to stick to a branded player, which did the basic job of extending your LCD's capability which somehow got missed out. Branded h/w was preferred for the sake of peace of mind.

The ubiquitous unbranded players will keep popping up for dime a dozen and one not so fine day will conk off, leaving you in the lurch.

2.1) In the first post itself i have mentioned: "I had attached a 160GB hdd..."

That should be self explanatory.

2.2) Speed was pretty good. No lags/stuttering

2.3) Max movie size i played was 9GB and it was a 1080p mkv file. Again there wasnt any issue playing it.

I am sure 12GB shouldnt be an issue either. I dont have the player with me anymore, but i am sure people who own it will confirm my impression.

Hahaha
happy55.gif

Well, your help was very helpful, I just bought the O!play mini
happy19.gif
Should receive it in 10 days.

That's great. I do not own this player but got a unit for my boss sometime back and tested it extensively with many files and formats before I handed it over to him. It played everything I threw at it, including a ~20GB .mkv blu-ray rip without hiccups. If there is one VFM standalone media player in the market with a brand value, this is it.

Please keep us posted on the impressions once you receive the unit.
happy19.gif

Which firmware you guys using which I received is with 1.1.4 and saw update firmware on website 1.1.5 but they disable the copy and move option why ?

Back