Review : Asus PA246Q - 24" IPS Eye candy

Asus PA246Q

A6Qdal.jpg

Introduction

I still remember the day when I moved from my CRT desktop monitor to my first LCD Screen. It was a TN panel and my impression was of washed out colors compared to the CRT. Later I came across IPS panels and since then I have been fascinated by IPS technology and their color reproduction, though its market penetration has been somewhat limited when compared to the more affordable and easier to produce TN panel. Even today the scenario is more or less the same. There are very few manufactures with a good IPS panels.

Asus can now boasts a 24" IPS panel - The " PA246Q" from their ProArt Series. This LCD panel comes with the usual resolution of 1920*1200. Offers 1.07 billion colors, a 8-bit panel + FRC (10 bit as claimed by Asus)* and covers 98% of adobe RGB. With the following specifications on paper the PA246Q should be able to reproduce colors as real as possible. Does it ? Lets read on.

*For 10 bit color you need to have GPU and application which can support the same

Specification

A7bf1.png

cranky said:
Two questions:

1. Does it have the white 'shimmer' common to all IPS panels? Noticeable when viewing prominently white screen with small type.

2. Is it a proper 10-bit panel or 8bit + compression?

Nice review :)

1. I wouldn't really call it a shimmer. A mere thought of it gets me annoyed here ;). But i did see/read IPS panels having this niggle. Though i didn't get your second part.

2. This is a 8 bit + FRC as mentioned in the review. Just like the Dell's offering.
surya_neo said:
Nice review...How does it compare to Dell U2410..I am thinking of getting Dell One..just wanted to check if this is better than U2410...How about that Spyder Elite..Do all IPS panels have to be calibrated using these..aren't the factory settings good enough for watching movies and games..

My experience with the Dell is very less unlike with the PA246Q. So i will reserve my comments with respect to the same. But from what i researched in the past three weeks, both of these should be similar.

Sorry if this question is a no-brainer :ashamed: but isn't there any LED IPS panel's around?

IF so wouldn't the Black reproduction improve drastically?

All LCD/LED have some amount of back-light bleeding it is just that you notice them in only some kinda pictures usually in

movies with borders.

steel.x3m said:
Sorry if this question is a no-brainer :ashamed: but isn't there any LED IPS panel's around?

IF so wouldn't the Black reproduction improve drastically?

All LCD/LED have some amount of back-light bleeding it is just that you notice them in only some kinda pictures usually in

movies with borders.

The current 27" Apple Cinema Display (or Thunderbolt display as they're calling it now) is an LED IPS panel. However I'm guessing these are edge-lit LED panels, so there's no local dimming to help with blacks.

There's also the HP dreamcolor LP2480zx with direct-lit RGB backlights. Not sure if they've implemented local dimming. Of course, its also 3000 USD :p

Both the above should be available locally.

Outside India, there's the Hazro HZ27WC.

LG also have a couple of LED IPS panels.

Again both of these are most likely edge lit.

Visiting here after recieving mail from Asus.
<

In sort looks good one from them. And nice review.
<

One thing I must mention, providing VGA cable with the monitor is sick. VGA is outdated & they should have provided DVI cable with the monitor. I hope that's the least we can expect from Asus (forgot about HDMI cable).

Back