[REVIEW] BlackBerry PlayBook (16GB)

BlackBerry PlayBook Review

sgtyjp.jpg

Hi guys,This is my first review so please don't pounce one me if something goes wrong...

Anyways,today i'll be reviewing the Blackberry PlayBook(PB) which has been in the news lately for its price crush.

A little background on my Playbook,My bro got it for me on 21st Dec'2011 from Canada for $170 ~ Rs 8,500

Its a 16GB PB which is probably enough for my needs atleast for now.The day since i received my PB i have been messing with it to checkout the various features it has to offer

Honsetly,I never needed a Tablet as i don't have any use for it,A desktop and a Notebook is all i needed which i already own

So now,I also have a tablet to play with as well :ashamed:

INTRODUCTION :

The Blackberry Playbook Tablet is just like any other tablet you might find out there in the market,its sleek,portable and definately user-friendly.It has a 7" screen which makes it kinda easier to carry around.With the introduction of Playbook RIM has also launched their first tablet OS called "QNX Neutrino"

The Playbook is available in 3 different variant 16GB,32GB,64GB and the price varies accordingly but now it retails at $299 be it any variant so better get your hands on the 64GB Variant

It is announced that BlackBerry Tablet OS(QNX) would be merged with the existing BlackBerry Smartphone OS to produce a new operating system, BBX (later renamed Blackberry 10) that would be used universally across RIM's product line.

Product Release Date : April 19, 2011 (US)

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS :

CPU - Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9

CHIPSET - TI OMAP 4430

GPU - PowerVR SGX540

RAM - 1GB

DISPLAY - 7.0 inches (~170 ppi pixel density) /TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors /1024x600 Resolution

CAMERA - Rear(5 MP, 2592x1944 pixels, autofocus) / Front(3MP)

VIDEO - Records at 1080p@30fps (Both camera's) / Playback at 1080p

INTERFACE - Micro USB and HDMI output

MEMORY - 16GB/32GB/64GB inbuilt (No card slot)

CONNECTIVITY - 802.11 a/b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1

BATTERY - Li-Po 5300 mAh

THE INTERFACE/USABILITY AND OPERATING SYSTEM :

Blackberry Playbook comes with the Tablet OS called "QNX Neutrino" which i found to be really easy to navigate and manage.PB comes with OS 1.0.7.XX pre-installed but when i first started my PB for the initial setup it straight away started updating to 1.0.8.6067 which i didn't mind.

The initial setup includes Language,Wi-Fi,Date and Time,Blackberry Bridge,Blackberry ID sign-in,Tablet Basics and Desktop S/W configurations.

So finally i had my PB setup for its first use and when i got on the desktop/Homescreen i was like WTF !!! Honsetly,at first galance i didn't like the UI as i'm use to seeing Android more often

But,i couldn't complain as this was a gift from my brother and he was sitting in front of me :p (Mind cursing begans here)

Anyhow,I decided to look around and started messing with the Tablet to see what this junk had to offer(First impressions can be deceiving)

The OS1 interface includes a "TAB" layout which organises your apps accordingly,this includes "All"/"Favourites"/Media"/"Games"

This is how my Homescreen looks like -

v3d72w.jpg

After a week of usage i decided to upgrade my Tablet OS to OS2.0(Beta) which has been released for developers

There are lot of expectations with the new OS2.0 that is gonna release on Feb'2012 so decided to try the beta version myself.First Impressions of OS2.0 were better than OS1

Tab layout was removed and a folder system has been added plus you can customize the Icons you want on your quick launch bar

Though many of the offical OS2.0 features are missing from the beta ATM,i would really have OS2.0 in my PB reason being it looks and works great as compared to OS1

Th OS2.0 release will also allow the Playbook users to run android apps which will be available from the Appworld itself(fingers crossed)

Here is my PB running OS2.0(Beta) -

1441ocy.jpg

The QNX interface is really very simple to understand and use,it just requires two swipes to operate

One from the top and one from the bottom,if you wanna minimize a app you are runnin swipe from the bottom and it goes into the background where you can switch between various other apps running in BG and if you want to check out the various options/settings that particular app has to offer then simply do a swipe from the top

Simple enough i guess ??

Once you get use to the interface and the OS it pretty much a walk in the park

Currently,the number of applications that Blackberry Appworld has to offer for the Playbook are very limited and most of the desired apps are paid

But RIM has confirmed that with the introduction of OS2.0 in Feb'2012 a large amount of android apps will be available to its users via the appworld,Hope they don't disappoint its customers.

Personally,The lack of free and useful apps is kinda killing me.When you look at Android or Apple they have a huge list of apps available for use

well,every good thing takes time to arrive :p

SPECIAL PB FEATURES :

There are certain features that the PB offers which i found really amazing,you may not call them features but maybe apart of the usability and apps

One of which is the Video chat that PB offers,you can Video chat with other PB users over Wi-Fi and the experience is totally amazing plus free of cost :p (Every PB users must try it out)

Another one is the Web-browsing experience that the PB gives,it given beats the iPad2 in this section,The PlayBook's browser is every bit a match for the iPad 2 in terms of web surfing ease, withequally intuitive gesture controls and accurate page rendering.Plus the amazing Flash rendering adds to the overall browsing experience.

The Blackberry Bridge is another feature to look forward to,Your Playbook can connect to any Blackberry Smartphone via the BB Bridge over Bluetooth and you can easily use all the Apps in your smartphone from your PB directly and if you want acess to internet on the go then a BB smartphone is a must as PB can acess the web only via Wi-Fi(We need a 4G PB ASAP :p)

The Playbook lacks the native Email,IM,Messaging apps atm but once you bridge your PB to a BB smartphone it gets much better and easier.

OVERALL BUILT/DESIGN :

The overall built quality of the Playbook is pretty promising,solid exteriors and totally smooth overview and a matte black look gives you a sparkling experience when handling the PB(It doesn't slip out of hands)

On the top,you have the Power button(Freaking requires baby hands :mad:),The volume keys and the Play pause button(Pretty useful when you are travelling).Also a 3.5mm Jack is provided where you can connect your heaphones

At the bottom,you have a Micro HDMI port(Can connect to laptops/TV's),A Micro USB port(Yes,you can freaking connect your PD's and External Hardrives) and a Charging Dock Port(Useless if you don't own a charging dock)

It also has two Stereo speakers on both sides of the screen which produce amazing sound quality.Then there is the front(3MP) and the Rear(5MP) camera as well which produce lovely images

So overall,the built and the design for the playbook is pretty decent and satisfying.

Dimensions : 194 x 130 x 10 mm and a weight of 425g

The Box contents of Blackberry Playbook include the following - (Image Below)

wl58xv.jpg

CONCLUSION :

Pros -

• True Multi-tasking instead of App pausing(Beats all other Tablets in this division) and Advance Security
  • Full 1080p HD recording And Playback
  • Browser that integrates Adobe Flash 10.2 for a desktop-style Web experience
  • Really Portable
  • Amazing screen and Touch

Cons -

• 7" screen cramps the powerful browser
  • Start/Wake button on top is sometime hard to push
  • Native Apps only available via BB Bridge to a BB Smartphone
  • No expandable memory(Still neogitable)
  • Lack of Apps

Bottom-line -

If you thought the tablet wars were just between Apple and Google, think again. Research In Motion may be late to the fight, but it is fighting for its life, and the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet demonstrates that the company means business.

Thanks for reading my first Review

Yash

P.S - Ignore Spelling mistakes,if any :ashamed:

Very nicely put. I think this is what I need to replace my laptop as the web browsing device in the house!

BTW, does it have a RDP App?

vivek.krishnan said:
Very nicely put. I think this is what I need to replace my laptop as the web browsing device in the house!

BTW, does it have a RDP App?

Yes,it has an app called RDM+ Remote Desktop but its paid so i haven't tried it,sorry :ashamed:

Is this what you are looking for ? RDM+ for Playbook
red dragon said:
Can it connect to internet using an android phone as 3g hotspot?

Sent from Galaxy S2

Though i haven't tried 3G but it does get connected to internet via GPRS through Portable Hotspot in android

SO i guess,3G will also work :)

ChessMaster said:
gr8 spec for price 15k at flipkart, i wish it could support mobile networks for telephone usage....

Well,there is a speculation of a Playbook 4G getting released by 2012 end or by Q2 of 2013

But those are just rumors so don't hang onto that...

Plus 7" tab + Phone is weird imho,u will always need a handsfree to talk or put it on speaker just the case with the Galaxy Tab phone

Too huge to place on ur ears :ashamed:

Good Review Dude..

In My view, its def worth 14K for 16GB..

It hit the sweet spot.. No compromise in Speed/Memory..

I recommend anyone to get the 16K 32GB version.. 2K extra is def it..

teja92 said:
Good Review Dude..

In My view, its def worth 14K for 16GB..

It hit the sweet spot.. No compromise in Speed/Memory..

I recommend anyone to get the 16K 32GB version.. 2K extra is def it..

Yea,32GB is available for 15.5K locally as well

Pretty sweet deal imho :)
$$lIoNkInG$$ said:
yash - niceeeeeeeee... :)

Thanks dude !! :)

good initiallyto start up though. i see a slight lag in the typing using the onscreen keyboard, i dont know the reason though. really too sensitive. i'm loving it. just got it delivered through FK yesterday.

Nicely done it Yash :) Plus you got a very good deal! :eek:hyeah:

OT- If I'm not wrong, you're bro was "hitler" na? :bleh:

NDragger said:
Nice review bro :hap2:

how is the battery backup ?

After a 100% charge it gives me around 36-40hrs of usage

Plus i don't switch it-off that saves me 1-2% of battery life....
abracadabra said:
good initiallyto start up though. i see a slight lag in the typing using the onscreen keyboard, i dont know the reason though. really too sensitive. i'm loving it. just got it delivered through FK yesterday.

Honestly,I have never experience'd any lag uptill....

Whts ur OS version ??
JuGGa said:
Nicely done it Yash :) Plus you got a very good deal! :eek:hyeah:

OT- If I'm not wrong, you're bro was "hitler" na? :bleh:

Yeah,8.5K for a 16GB model is not bad....

And yup,thats the same brother :p

Nice review, I ll be getting it in my hands soon. There is rhis offer going on in dubai, the 16gb version only for Rs7k. My brother brought it for me and will be here soon.
<

I heard that Android apps would be able to run via emulator on this.

Is it true?

By the way, good review

#[member='comp@ddict'],The new OS 2.0 that RIM released for the playbook on 21st feb 2012 has an android player built-in

So you would be required to load the app file externally and run it on that in-built player....

But as ayanavish said,there is no gaurantee that every android app will work...Plus some of the android apps are now offically available via the blackberry appworld

so just go there and download them...
happy19.gif

I would like to add few points which are not mentioned here and are of utmost importance.

1. Don't buy this if you plan to watch movies on it , MKV Advanced Video Profile and Audio Codec support for AC3 and DTS does not exists in PB.
2. The tablet has weird issue where if the battery drops to 0 you have to do 'stack charging' and sometimes even after doing so it wont start leading to replacement.
3. Buy it if you want to do web browsing , it has the best Flash Support amongst all tablets.
4. The PB forces you to do firmware update when you first buy its a pathetic idea on RIM's part to do so.

Back