Review : CANON POWERSHOT A95 : A hot home digicam

this review was presented earlier and as i found the request to re direct i am copying here.

the text in this blue color is new and i have added it today. i have many more images now but the bandwidth problem will not allow me to upload now will go on adding them here as and when i get time.

Caution : this thread carries a lot of images so it may be too slow to load on dial ups.

well after a long desired dream i finally purchased my digital camera in navratri.

i thought of a lot of models and lot of features before coming to the decision bying this one : CANON POWERSHOT A95

i was looking for a camera that has:
resolution more than 4 mp
compact
ease of use
light on pocket
battery availability (i mean no proprietory batteries so that if one goes caput you have to wait a lot to get another replacement0
i needed a cam which nicely reproduces the images of CT Scans, X-rays, patient documets in details for my conference presentations.
and on reasonable budget.

after thought process of approximately 3-4 months i came to purchasing this one.
First Impression:

well while i first show my a95 on my hands i could not differentiate it from other hit models like powershot a80. It also looked very compact and not much overweight. The user control buttons were quite easily recognisable and usability was great. The LCD size had been increased from other earlier models on Canon. the Display was Bright and Crisp. In short it took my heart away.........

following photos are resourced from imaging-resource.com
ZTOP.jpg

ZRIGHT.jpg

ZLEFT.jpg

ZFRONT.jpg

ZBOTTOM.jpg

ZBACK.jpg

this is what i got in my package
new008.png

Basic Features
5.0-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as large as 2,592 x 1,944 pixels.
1.8-inch color LCD monitor.
Real-image optical viewfinder.
Glass, 3x 7.8-23.4mm lens (equivalent to 38-114mm zoom on a 35mm camera).
3x digital zoom.
AiAF autofocus, FlexiZone AF, and a manual focus mode.
AF Assist light for low-light focusing.
Full Automatic, Program AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual exposure modes, as well as five preset exposure modes.
Manually adjustable aperture setting ranging from f/2.8 to f/8.0, depending on lens zoom position and shutter speed.
Shutter speed range from 1/2,000 to 15 seconds, depending on aperture.
Built-in flash with five operating modes.
CompactFlash memory storage.
Power supplied by four AA batteries or optional AC adapter.
Special Features

Movie mode (with sound).
Sound caption recording.
Stitch-Assist mode for panoramic shots. this is really cool feature i will add the picture taken with it tomorrow or day after i get time
Continuous Shooting and 10-second Self-Timer modes.
Creative Effects menu. this is also a nice feature
White balance (color) adjustment with seven modes.
ISO adjustment with four ISO equivalents and an Auto setting.
Low Sharpness setting.
Evaluative, Center-Weighted, and Spot metering options.
DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
USB cable for connection to a computer (driver software included).

Package Contents:
Camera
hand strap
one set of disposable AA alkaline batteries
Compact Flash Card 32 MB
Softwares for connectivity to computer and Photo enhancements
USB Cable
AV Cable for direct playback on TV (really usefull if you do not have compatible jpeg playback facility on your home cd player or you do not have immediate access to the computer you can enjoy the pics with your family)

Other Features:
14 modes to shoot the images
NIce Movie recording facility in three different resolutions (640 / 320 / 160) (.mov format) earlier i thought it was .mov format but it is actually mjpg (motion jpeg format) decent quality for a still cam)
excellent colour reproduction
good auto focus
superb macro mode
good night shooting capabilities
good capacity flash

My Opinion on this camera:
I was impressed by its ease of usage, excellent point and shoot function(good for my family members for casual photo shooting), very good colour reproduction, nice night photo taking capability, compact, good battery life, good advanced feature adjustments for photo enthusiasts.
in short fits in to the range of newbies to professional.
I would recommend with this camera:

good rechargeable (minimum 1600 mA) NiMh batteries
good battery charger (for both these things i have used GP, Sony both are good)
if you are a real enthusiast then minimum 256 MB compact flash card as 32 MB card which is supplied together will too less for you (i procured one of 1 GB from states with my friend)
i have taken care to include almost various kinds of settings of this camera except panoramic landscapes as i have not been to good place for long i have not taken such photos so when i will take i will post them.
all these images are resized images and i will upload the real images somewhere and then provide the link here.

Resources for this review:
canon website
Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!
i hope i have served well the purpose of the review and it satisfies the needs of many here.

i have not mentioned the price here any where as i got it from the other channels
the indicative prices :
grey : 18k-19k
real market : add 60% apprx. to the grey price
usa : should be around 325 us$ (not seen the price for long time when launched it was 390 us$0 (source : pricegrabber.com)
the prices mentioned were at the time of purchase appx. 6 months back now it has reduced a lot and it has become one of the hottest home cam around.

Well you all would be getting a lot of pics soon and a nice review of the most afforadable laptop... Acer 3000 based on Sempron 2800+ and is for Rs 29990 only... A friend of mine just bought one and i took it for the review...

@silverstalker :

it has built in 7 different modes for white balancing : auto, daylight, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, fluorescent H or custom.

regarding noise i do not know any built in noise reducing features but it does not produce much noise in iso 100 settings while shooting completely night shots and the flash works well in the night too. i had posted an image in this thread with complete night shot of aarti in navratri festival you can evaluate it for your hands on evaluation.

Last edited by a moderator:
medpal said:
@silverstalker :

it has built in 7 different modes for white balancing : auto, daylight, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, fluorescent H or custom.

regarding noise i do not know any built in noise reducing features but it does not produce much noise in iso 100 settings while shooting completely night shots and the flash works well in the night too. i had posted an image in this thread with complete night shot of aarti in navratri festival you can evaluate it for your hands on evaluation.

Yeah, ISO 100 is the max you can expect to use it without purple fringing and speckling. ISO 200/400 settings are nigh on unusable.

medpal said:
due to request of switch i am updating the thread with pictures of my batteries and charger.

First - GOOD REVIEW !! :clap:

I just saw that on the Eveready NiMH batteries on the packing it is mentioned "manufactured by GPI Hong Kong" I have circled it in RED on the bottom of the image.

Do you think it is this the same as GP you mention ?

These are sold in India and the price is mentioned on the top - pack of 2 batteries. I saw this with a charger and 4 batteries for around Rs.900/-

EvereadyNiMH.jpg

@Eazy :
i am not 100% sure that the GPI you have mentioned and GP i have mentioned are the same or not.

but my batteries costed me 100 for each piece (4 of them) and 500 for charger and when i ordered to one of my professional photographer friend he was not sure of my camera being compatible with 2100 so he took 1600 ones.

so the price of 125 each batteries and 2050 mAh in your case seems ok and how is performance of it.

to me my batteries gives me about 60 photos with mixed operations (like a few photos with lcd on and a few photos with lcd off and in between i always transfer images to pc). thats a pretty good response so i am satisfied you batteries must be lasting a bit longer i think.

medpal said:
i am not 100% sure that the GPI you have mentioned and GP i have mentioned are the same or not.

My feeling is that they are possibly the same... the additional alphabet "I" could be for International :) I doubt a company named GP would allow another company to sell batteries with a brand name GPI. :)

but my batteries costed me 100 for each piece (4 of them) and 500 for charger and when i ordered to one of my professional photographer friend he was not sure of my camera being compatible with 2100 so he took 1600 ones.

to me my batteries gives me about 60 photos with mixed operations (like a few photos with lcd on and a few photos with lcd off and in between i always transfer images to pc). thats a pretty good response so i am satisfied you batteries must be lasting a bit longer i think.
My Canon A400 manual mentions that it can handle 2300mAH batteries - I have 4 Sony 2300's and 4 Eveready 2100's. The Sony's dont last more than 1.5 hours of continous shooting - about 40 picture MAX - some with flash. The Sony batteries charge in the Sony charger in ONE hour and the Eveready batteries charge in the same Sony charger in about 3 hours :(

FYI I used to run a Transparency Film Process Lab for Professional Photgraphers for many years till my health forced me to stop - the Fomaldehyde fumes were terrible <<cough>> <<cough>> :D

Hmm...my mitsubishi 1800mAH, and coolpix 3200 lasted till 120 pics @ 3MP and few vids, till the mem card was full and battery went dead then :p

the coolpix is verrry choosy when it comes to batteries....wont work with either 1.2V Ni-Cad or the normal 1.5V cells :S

SunMysore said:
my mitsubishi 1800mAH, and coolpix 3200 lasted till 120 pics @ 3MP and few vids, till the mem card was full and battery went dead then

OH WOW !!! :O

I get only about 40 per charge with the Sony 2300mAH's :(

I use them on one straight shooting session - you must have done this over days ... right ? I think the Sony batteries will give many more shots if I do a few and then give the batteries a rest.

last time in rangantittu, ~80 pics and 3 mins of vids, still no low battery found ;)

nope...one straight session....

the day of 120 pics, cam was on for about 30 minutes stretches between pics and vids....

EDIT : It was the day when London sydney rally was in mysore...was clicking on Prosches, corollas, mustangs :D, etc...

that was 111 pics exactly...about 30% used flash.....

then came the video session..hehehe...about 12-13 mins of vids @ 640x480 resolution....too bad my mem card was full :(

BTW, hadnt charged the batteries to full...just ran to the spot when i heard it had started :eek:hyeah:

:rofl:

when i got my cam, the dealer told me that the Nikon batteries were crap, so he gave me these mitsubishis.....they're more than a year old now, still gives me lotsa power :)

I am using these Energizer NiMhs. Works well for me with my A70. But can't tell how many snaps they take on a single charge. Never measured it.

@Eazy, the battery memory thing is very dicey. Some say that runnning a full charge- drain cycle about thrice solves the problem. Others say that battery memory is an urban legend. Really donno what is the truth. You can try the charge-drain method.

Attachments

• del 016 (Medium).jpg
    del 016 (Medium).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 201
Count_Down said:
the battery memory thing is very dicey. Some say that runnning a full charge- drain cycle about thrice solves the problem. Others say that battery memory is an urban legend. Really donno what is the truth. You can try the charge-drain method.

Hey COUNT !!! Where u been ??

Yup I think I will have to do the charge/discharge thingy.... I have this problem only with the Sony batteries - they came defective ... the Eveready's seem to work fine - I got about 100 shots with flash on first use today.

@Eazy
Been slightly busy lately. Saw some nice pics taken by you in another thread. Keep them coming!

Please also let us know what you did with your batteries.

@Medpal... I got the same charger as yours but for rs 600 and got Sanyo Ni-MH 2500 for 600(4 Pcs)... hope its a good buy...

charger for 600 is a good buy and 2500 batteries 150 per piece is a steal.

hope it gives you good perfoemance.

your battery performance will increase gradually through first few charge - discharge cycles.

Back