Review - iPod Nano

ah,its an ipod,so u expect me to write pages abt it,praise it...etc.
but i will keep it short and give u the pros and cons of owning a nano,since u will find zillions of articles on the net giving u info on ipods.

pros:
-looks extremely sexy,the 1st time i held it i couldnt believe it was so...well,nano...u get what i mean.
-very easy to use...the click wheel and all.
-great sound quality.
-brilliant display.
-built-in games,photo viewer,calender,notes,stopwatch...and a few such features.
-supplied headphones decent.

cons......(where do i begin):
-no FM.
-iTunes...rather the process of transferring songs to the nano...its extremely irritating.
-the screen and entire body get scratched by virtually anything and everything...making it difficult to read the screen.
-at this price video playback would have been good.
-battery life.....claimed is 14hrs....but i can extract max 8hrs...that too on low volume on the headphones.
-price.....freakishly expensive.....even the accessories cost a bomb.

so what is the bottom line...reading the above u must have guessed.i dont recommend it to anyone :no: except those who want it for its looks and dont mind,or dont have to think twice before paying the high cost(15k-4GB,12k-2GB) for it and be part of the ipod herd.an uncle of mine gifted it to me,but if i were to put my own money,i would probably get a transcend T610(2GB-5.5k),buy better headphones for it and still save 5k.
e'nuff said!

yep .. no video playback is a big drawback .. like gettin a teenagaer to the beer counter and then askin bartender to give him only the neat seat to sit and watch ...

Expensive stuff ... Apple is simply selling the brand...

-iTunes...rather the process of transferring songs to the nano...its extremely irritating.
This really really sucks !!! I lost half of my 20 GB music collection thanks to itunes.... I wish I could express my true feelings abt itunes, but that would get me banned :p ....

iTunes seriously sucks...

i use ml_ipod instead. itunes sux!! and ive got a nano too, and i really like it. dont miss FM, but battery life should have been better. Like you said, it runs for 8 hours only.

Interesting comments against iTunes; considering that many people feel that iTunes (because of the online legal music purchasing) is one of the main reasons why iPod is a big phenomenon...

BTW, I am not a big fan of iTunes either... :) But then, I don't purchase music online.

online sales have become huge thanks to itunes....

But ipod sales have nothing to do with itunes. In fact, I know people who shied away from buying an ipod because of sucky itunes.....

Nikhil said:
online sales have become huge thanks to itunes....

But ipod sales have nothing to do with itunes.

That is exactly what I mean... Online sales have really boomed because of iTunes...

And, iTunes is so integrated with the iPod; they are both like integrated components of Apple's entertainment product family...:) iPod was the only player out there with an application (however sucky it may be ;) ) from which users could legally buy music and transfer it to the player... With the RIAA starting their lawsuit campagin against individual P2P file sharing; and the Apple music store as a very attractive option (just under on dollar - how cheaper can it be?:) ); and iTunes being the public face of the music store; and Apple selling iTunes+iPod as almost a single package (even on their website)...

In fact, I know people who shied away from buying an ipod because of sucky itunes.....

Really? They really thought the iPod cannot be used without the iTunes?

Anyway, how exactly did you lose half of your 20GB collection due to iTunes?

BTW, I don't use iTunes...:)

but they again we cant purchase songs from iTunes online store in India:no:
so there's no real reason to pay a premium and get an ipod.

Forget online sales, for the casual user there's nothing that comes close to iTunes. Put your CD in, click a button to copy your songs to your hard drive, plug your ipod in and two minutes later, all your music is there on your player.

Compare this to the ordeal that I have to go through while using my Creative mp3 player and you realize why ipod is the dominant mp3 player.

I still have my Creative for the FM radio, but for mp3, there is only the ipod.

And did I mention how easy it is to get podcasts on to the ipod?

Here's what you do withyour nano to protect it from scratches.

Leave the film on. Cut the extra part at the bottom(of the film) off with scissors. Put on a one of those thin rubbery cases.

I have a creative zen microphoto 8gb, has everything that the ipod lacks - a little bigger size but is is smaller than a cell phone. got it for 8.5k (from US ), really a steal of a deal

I have one of the MuVo series. Two things that are painful

- Ease of transferring files over. I have to use the Explorer interface, which though powerful involves a lot more steps. For people like me, who aren't very picky about their music and don't want to go through the effort, the ipod is just simpler.

- Navigation: This really sucks. Granted, it is a low end player and I should probably compare the Zen with the nano, but I doubt even that would approach the Nano in ease and simplicity of use

- Podcast: Subscribing to podcasts and getting them onto your ipod is just so simple. One click to subscribe, podcasts downloaded automatically to your computer and ipod. Podcasting took off because of the ipod. No wonder, Apple is going after the podder community:)

Back