Audio Review Of F&d A-520

sabby

ex-Mod
Jun 13, 2009
Bangalore
The other day I was just browsing thru' flipkart audio section. Saw this F&D A-520 speakers got quite good reviews for the price (~2000/-). Can anyone give their impression about these ? Are they really that good ?

gursud

Disciple
Jul 22, 2010
Wow, What a coincidence man. I got my A520 delivered 2 days back.

The woofer box is bigger than i expected. Build quality is excellet for that price. the speakers looks very normal and who cares when the main purpose is SQ.

When i have these connected to my PC i am shocked with the SQ.It is the worst i have heard in my life.I felt cheated and became laughing-stock before my friend. I cursed Flipkart for having those reviews,F&D and the people who has posted the reviews. I can here muddy bass and bad mids. treble is something i could not hear at all. I have tweaked all the settings and ended up with no result. I have immediately called FK and told them i dont want these and want to return them back.They said they will look into this.

After sometime don't know why, i thought of conecting them again. Boy i am so stupid . I didn't put the jack properly:p. Once after putting it correctly i am more than satisfied with the Sound quality for the 1980 Rupees i paid.

Bass is little boomy for my liking which needs to be tweaked with the bass knob on the subwoofer. The woofer is front firing one. The speakers are too loud and 10 percent volume is enough for most of the needs. Vocals are excellent on this one. It reproduced low to mids in an excellent manner. Though treble is not that great, it is not harsh either. I heard so many speakers from croma and in SP road for below 3K and these speakers are competetitive enough to compare with them if not better.

These are highly recommended if you do not want to spend above 2500/-. however if you want to go beyond 3k edifer C2 with eyes closed. BTW i can confirm these are better than creative SBS speakers in all aspects that are priced around 1900.

So consolidating all my opinion on these budget speakers.

Pros:very decent Build quality.

Excellent mids

Decent bass

Easy connection to PC(though i messed initially)

Capable to produce more volume. Can be helpful if you have big rooms.

Total VFM.

Cons:people may laugh at the selection of this brand when the entire universe is filled with creative:p

No Treble knob on the subwoofer.

Bass is not so deep.

Overall, I bet you wont regret this purchase unless you expect SQ to be on par with C2, C3 or Z623 from this.
PS:OP i am from Bangalore and you are always welcome for the audition.Also the opinion mentioned abouve is subjective.Duh
<

techcraze

Disciple
Oct 22, 2009
Pros:very decent Build quality.

Excellent mids

Decent bass

Easy connection to PC(though i messed initially)

Capable to produce more volume. Can be helpful if you have big rooms.

Total VFM.

Cons:people may laugh at the selection of this brand when the entire universe is filled with creative:p

No Treble knob on the subwoofer.

Bass is not so deep.

Comprehensive Review mate...

Also, i would like to know, where does this set stand against Altec Lansing VS2621. The AL vs2621 is similarly priced around at Rs 1800 bucks..

From what I've read, the F&D handles louder volumes better because it has more "wattage" in its sub woofer and satellites.

Which one is better in terms of sound clarity and Thump at room-level loudness...??

It'll be mostly used for playing music.

gursud

Disciple
Jul 22, 2010
Thanks for the review mate
<
Where exactly do you stay ?

I stay in marathahalli.

Comprehensive Review mate...

Also, i would like to know, where does this set stand against Altec Lansing VS2621. The AL vs2621 is similarly priced around at Rs 1800 bucks..??....
I din't hear them. For music A520 can't be bad choice. A 2000 rupees for this won't be a waste for sure.

Kinshuk

Recruit
Jan 24, 2012
Hi to all, I am planning to go for A555U F&D, as i am looking for FM as well USb support, looking for reviews..........
<

jackind

Recruit
Jan 14, 2012
Hi to all, I am planning to go for A555U F&D, as i am looking for FM as well USb support, looking for reviews..........
<

Hi,

yesterday i bought the F&D A555U speakers...for INR 2400/- in the GOLCHA computers, SP Road, bangalore (near AMAR Radios )

These speakers are awesome for the price.. the BASS is loud and deep - esp when u play Black eyed peas
<

The remote is quiet easy to use and handy...the speakers are well built ( not a attactive design though ) and really loud when songs are played from USB and FM option rather than played through a AUX input.. dono why
<

My verdict - Compared to other brands like creative / altec / logitech which i have used personally ( only the entry level 2.1's ) this one is worth to try for its loudness and functions ( i believe there is no other brand in the market that has PC/DVD/USB/FM options in a 2.1 other than A555U )

Note : When u buy from SP road, open the box there itself and ask them to power on and play some songs thru USB or Mobile.. as in my case there was a bump in one of the left satellite speaker cone.. i visited the shop twice to replace the satellite
<

Thanks...

Kinshuk

Recruit
Jan 24, 2012
I bought A555U on 16th Feb through Distributor for 2650/
<
Its awesome, sound quality is far better than the other similar products, as well I feelthe same sound quality through FM/USB/AUX........The only issue I am facing is that when I switch off it, on restart it reset all the settings, Bass 3/Treble 0/Volume 15/FM station I lost Which I saved almost everyday.........Please help me out what to do to save my settings and FM stations, while I tried almost every possible way mentioned in its guide book.

sabby

ex-Mod
Jun 13, 2009
Bangalore
I ordered it the day before yesterday and got it within 24 hrs. I was so excited to unpack it that I cut my left thumb
<

Anyway, so far it seems great for music. But not so great with movies/video files. No media came with the package. Which software should I use to set preset EQs like movies and many others profiles ? The Realtek one is good for nothing.
<

nikhil.varia

Disciple
Dec 5, 2009
hey everyone i just bought the speakers and want to know how to place the woofer

should i put the woofer down on the ground or on the table please help i am really not aware of all these stuff

dk4groups

Recruit
Apr 25, 2012
I got F&DA555U day before yesterday. Purchased it from GolchaIT in bangalore for 2300 + 200 for home delivery. Delivery was very fast, i called them up at 3 in the after noon and at 5:30 this guy was at my place in whitefield. Payment mode was Cash on delivery.

Speakers are good, I mean for the price range.

FM, USB&SD Card Input and remote are all good. FM reception could have been a little better. If you use Aux input then you have to increase volume on the plugged in device as well as on the speaker system.

If you switch off the unit then Bass and treble settings get reset. It does not remember these. Radio stations it remembers though. So no need to re tune.

Remote has all the functions and works from a distance of 12-15 ft.

There is no wire mesh on satellite speakers, which means there is a risk of damaging them during handling, shifting etc.

Unit's looks could have been better.

If you are used to listening music on HiFi systems like Sony etc. then you may not enjoy the music that much, I somehow felt that mid and high range frequency output is not that refined.

Mainly this speaker system is for Bass lovers.....

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
on paper these look nice. 6.5" sub, 52W RMS, 2k price, who says you can't get good stuff cheap any more
<