[Review] Picasa v.2

After reviewing nokia 6260, 9500, thought that i could do some software reviews. Here comes the Picasa (version 2) review.
* Google's picasa v. 2
Picasa is a digital photo organizer, on the same lines as the adobe's photo album or Jasc's Paint Shop Photo Album. This is a free program available for download.
I can say that it has the best interface and looks nice too. It does not look too profesional as adobe softwares.
Just the right application that u will need to organize all ur photos/GIF's in your hard disk.
And some good news for dial up users! This is a just a 3 mb file and required a 13mb free space in your HDD, and i downloaded the software in just 5 mins (or even lesser time).

* Getting started
After installing picasa, u will prompted to scan all ur picture files on ur HDD or any other folder alone in particular. This is done in just a few minutes time and you are done! I found some new Gif's which i myself wasn't aware of it's existence!

Now u can use it for organizing, editing, and sharing your digital photos. We all must be having digital photos from various sources:
~ camera mobile
~ Digital camera
~ Camcorder's stills
~ Scanned pictures (from a SLR camera)
~ Some wallpapers/saved Gif's, etc...

* Features:
Picasa 2 had a lots of new features when compared to the earlier version.

screenshot13lz.jpg

Image sourced...from google's picaa website.

## Zoom, upto 450% more than the original picture.
## Red eye removal: remove the red thing from the eyes of the target
## AUTO color/AUTO contrast
## I am felling lucky! (just the best combination, that u may just want, if ur lucky!)
## Fill color
## Import pictures from other external device to ur HDD, using picasa
## You can also save photos to an external drive, burn them to a disc, or upload them to popular photo-sharing Web sites.
##Add keywords to files and search by keywords or album information.
## Slide show
and lots more... :wink:
* Sharing options
What is the use of a digital photos, if u can share it with others?
I agree unlike Adobe Photoshop Album, Picasa doesn't offer tools for transferring photos to handheld devices, cell phones, and digital video recorders directly, u will have to do all this manually and indirectly.
Some sharing options:
-printing the photos
-Emailing them
- upload pics to Google's popular blogging tool, Blogger.
-an other tool called "hello" (available as a aditional plugin).Hello is a free service that works together with Picasa to send dozens of pictures directly to friends who are online. Hello can also be used for to publish pictures to a Blogger Blog.
- Export the picture to a external device, like CD's, DVD's , zip drives, etc...
* Pros
~ Good looking interface
~Light on system resource
~Scans computer for all picture files, and monitors selected folders for new pictures and it's automatic too, so u need not have to scan every time.
~Even novices can work on picasa, unlike adobe or Jasc softwares
~Not cluttered and is well organised.
~Comes with a good price tag, "FREE" :p

* Cons
~just some basic image editing tools
~Picasa doesn't offer dedicated tools for transferring photos to handheld devices, cell phones, and digital video recorders.
~ Limited photo sharing features.
~I dint find any tool to caption or for archiving

MY OPINION:
Hmm, Google has done it again! Picasa's elegant user interface creates a great first impression, and i am a follower of "First impression is the best one"

Ofcource it has not many features when compared to photo album , but i guess u wont need these, if u are a novice or just use for home and personal use.

Moreover it is a freeware and is just 3mb download, go ahead and download it dudes :wink:

------
Doctor Grudge

Back