Review : Samsung Galaxy R I9103

I was looking for a fast,well capable phone having a large display covering almost every feature a smartphone can have. But i was not willing to spend more thn 20k on a phone.My requirements were atleast 1Ghz Procc, 512MB Ram, 4" display & all other usual things. I was considering Galaxy SL & Neo V(skipped O2x coz of smaller screen & less RAM thn SGR) but then price of Galaxy R dropped to 20k and i bought it.

Design - I love the design of SGR more thn other galaxy phones out there. Its looks so sleek & shiny from both front and backside. Its much slimmer thn i imagined by seeing its picture earlier on the net. It easily fits in my shirt's pocket although its a bit wider.
ws18k.jpg

Package contents - I got main set, 1650mah battery, charger, data cable, an earphone, a leather pouch (I really loved the pouch, need not to purchase other), No Kies CD(although it can be downloaded)

Memory shown - RAM - 724MB, System storage - 1.97GB, USB storage - 3.75GB(although its printed 8GB on the box... lots of space is system reserved), and a microSD card slot
20z3ddy.jpg

Multimedia - It played every audio format it tried. But the stock video player failed to play some 720p video.. I tried flv,avi,mp4 format of different size & resolution. Later i installed Mobo Video Player, MX Video Player, Real player & some codecs with them which almost fulfilled my need. But still searching for a good video player app which can handle every format without any hitch.

Browsing - Browsing is a fun on SGR believe me. I never worried that i'm browsing on a mobile phone. It always felt that i'm on PC having a bit smaller screen. Opening webpages and switching between pages & sites is very convenient. It never lagged, crashed, hanged or whatever till now. (paisa vasool for me bcoz its one of my primary requirement). I tried stock browser as well as Dolphin HD, Opera & Skyfire. Opening multiple webpages doesn't make it operate slow.

Apps & Games - Till now i've installed more than 50 apps on my phone. It handles running multiple apps simultaneously without any lag. I not much into games so hvn't tried any of them yet.

Battery - With medium to heavy usage it easily lasts whole day while on 3G. I have to charge it daily(as in the case of maximum android phones). No complain.

Camera - This 5mp camera is sufficient for all casual needs. but i'm not satisfied with video recorded with it maybe i'm comparing it with my digital camera's video quality thts why.... Although it shoots nice quality pictures. Front camera is the added benefit.

Conclusion - I'm happy with the money i spent. it's totally worth.... Its the best one around 20k.
b7ng5k.jpg

11l7p91.jpg

If the fellow members have any doubt or query regarding this device which they think i can answer thn pls post them here. i'll be happy to help......

- Abhishek

This post has been promoted to an article

Congrats for the purchase and nice review. :)

How is the modding scenario of this device? Is CM7 available on this?

One of my friends have the Galaxy R which he has been using for past three weeks. But unfortunately he didn't put on any screenguard and the screen is full of hairline scratches now. He uses it very carefully with the pouch, still it happened. So i would suggest anyone using this phone to be using it with a screenguard.

BTW is the screen protected by Gorilla Glass? As far as i know, its some scratch resistant glass but not Gorilla Glass..

red dragon said:
Nice review!

Regarding media player,I would suggest you to stay away from MX or mobo player,they mostly use the software decoding,which eats the battery pretty fast.

Only 2 players in the market uses hw decoding

a.dice player

b.BS player lite.

Dice player is not free and I could not purchase it either.

BS player is good too and it is free.

Try them,you will be impressed.

Sent from Galaxy S2

Mx video uses HW decoding ,i use it with my SL,and the player is free.

red dragon said:
Nope, mostly sw decoding.

Sent from Galaxy S2

May be its not compatible with your phone yet,it uses HW decoding,same as the stock player ,and is more customization,only some files which aren't supported by the stock player doesn't use HW decoding i.e uses SW decoding.

fash_1 said:
Does the R have notification LEDs?

No... as far as i know its only available in Galaxy Nexus as of now

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

benryu said:
The amoled display is way much better than a normal LCD one.. i can find so much difference in it..

may be...

but SC-LCD too is decent enough....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

webserver2009 said:
Congtrz dude :D games with tegra 2 butter like smooth :D now just waiting for ICS :p

till now only tried few games.... thy were fine

me too waiting for official ICS

benryu said:
The amoled display is way much better than a normal LCD one.. i can find so much difference in it..

Beg to differ your finding....

THe SLCD provides good RGB layout which gives sharp text and smaller fonts, (Comparing Galaxy S & SL) My friends have both and I prefer more pleasant colors and sharper text than "in face colors" and pixelated small fonts... I can live with small sacrifice in contrast ratio....I'm holding my Note purchase hoping the on/Cheaper version will come with S-LCD or next version with RGB pixel layout...
(bring S II display in picture the opinion changes)

Back