[Review/Unboxing]The all new ASUS M5A78L-M LE AM3+ Motherboard

Still waiting for the proccy to come(X6 1055T) Then will hit the bios and see how it overclocks and performs :) Till then see these pictures :p

02102011160.jpg

02102011161.jpg

02102011162.jpg

02102011165.jpg

02102011166.jpg

02102011167.jpg

02102011168.jpg

02102011169.jpg

02102011170.jpg

02102011171g.jpg

02102011172.jpg

02102011174.jpg

02102011175.jpg

02102011177.jpg

02102011178.jpg

why on earth would you buy a 1055T when bulldozer is around the corner? AMD has said they will release on 12th Oct. and it will cost around $250. why did you pay sooo much for a 1055!!!

the x6 offers almost 1/2 the performance of a bulldozer.
i bought a henom quad LAST YEAR and I AM repenting why i didnt wait around till this year!

Excellent, mate. Just one q, damages for proccy and mobo and where did you get them from?

de.das.dude said:
why on earth would you buy a 1055T when bulldozer is around the corner? AMD has said they will release on 12th Oct. and it will cost around $250. why did you pay sooo much for a 1055!!!

the x6 offers almost 1/2 the performance of a bulldozer.

i bought a henom quad LAST YEAR and I AM repenting why i didnt wait around till this year!

Well, some of us need a desktop computer, we cannot keep waiting for BD. Also this board being AM3+ compatible, will support BD. So i guess he plans to upgrade later on.

Its for a frnd actually and He blew up his Athlon X2 dude to heavy OC and now he has sem exams a week from now and he seriously needs a PC. His dad said take wat u want now... don ask for more money later so he said I will buy X6 it self. And he only plays GTA and NFS. And has a 9400GT so do the math! It will last him more than 2 years!

If you have any monies left then try buying a good cpu cooler as the 1055T is a hot processor and the stock cooler sucks. Put a good cooler like the Hyper 212+ and you should be sitting on 4Ghz quite easily.

HaCk3r said:
Its for a frnd actually and He blew up his Athlon X2 dude to heavy OC and now he has sem exams a week from now and he seriously needs a PC. His dad said take wat u want now... don ask for more money later so he said I will buy X6 it self. And he only plays GTA and NFS. And has a 9400GT so do the math! It will last him more than 2 years!
how does he play GTA 4 on a 9400. imo you could have bought an athlon x3, unlocked to a x4. that would have still been bottlenecked by the 9400. but you could have sold the 9400 and gotten something like 6770 or a 6790.

Well, some of us need a desktop computer, we cannot keep waiting for BD. Also this board being AM3+ compatible, will support BD. So i guess he plans to upgrade later on.

Problem is all these boards will support CPUs till 95W only...so BD support for the initial models at least will be difficult . If at all it supports OC will be no go . Still for 2750 bucks we cant ask much :)

As far as I know AMD chips don't shut off after reaching a certain thermal limit like Intel ones do. I don't know if this is the case with current processors though.

RD274 said:
As far as I know AMD chips don't shut off after reaching a certain thermal limit like Intel ones do. I don't know if this is the case with current processors though.

This statement has no basis. It does on reaching a threshold, but it can be adjusted via BIOS or even turned off (Not at all advised). Its the first and last primary measure to prevent proccy damage when we venture into OCing. It should'nt be turned off at any cost.

But even if turned off, ive seen AMD proccys shutting down instantly making some strange BIOS beep codes on overheating, and safely turning on after that. Was logging the temps, hence found it was cpu temps which caused it. So hard to believe he burned up an X2 proccy on ocing to 3.2 Ghz.

As i said it was done on a stock cooler and his room has that weird HEAT! u know wat i mean... and it was a 65nm 7750 BE and he had given +100mV in the voltage settings.... so yea it can fry the proccy! The PSU is fine... its a VIP450 more than enough for an old gen X2 Now getting a CX400 or so a few weeks later :)

dOm1naTOr said:
This statement has no basis. It does on reaching a threshold, but it can be adjusted via BIOS or even turned off (Not at all advised). Its the first and last primary measure to prevent proccy damage when we venture into OCing. It should'nt be turned off at any cost.

But even if turned off, ive seen AMD proccys shutting down instantly making some strange BIOS beep codes on overheating, and safely turning on after that. Was logging the temps, hence found it was cpu temps which caused it. So hard to believe he burned up an X2 proccy on ocing to 3.2 Ghz.

this is true. my AMD 945 (c3 revision) can go till 71C after that theres a BSOD and it shuts off. turns back on like nothing happened. i tried this last week :p

Actually the M2N68-AM series mobo is notorious for pumping unwanted extra voltage to proccy and can never be called an overclocking mobo. In fact, the overvoltage on vcore causes heating of CPU. The mobo's CPU voltage setings are all crap. Setting any values doesnt change the actual vcore, which will be like 10~12% higher than the value in BIOS settings. Have tried to OC on a couple of M2N68, but after seeing this, i decided not to try again as it might burn up the proccy sooner or later.

HaCk3r said:
Actually he OCed to 3.2 from 2.7 on an ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 on a stock cooler...

HaCk3r said:
Actually he OCed to 3.2 from 2.7 on an ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 on a stock cooler...

So did I, and went till 3.3Ghz, however this was done only for a day so that not much damage was ensured. But the machine was superb, infact felt that when i went back to stocks, wanted to keep it OCed. And yeah, had to increase the voltage, but this was done around 1.5 yrs ago, so even i do not remember the specs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dOm1naTOr said:
Actually the M2N68-AM series mobo is notorious for pumping unwanted extra voltage to proccy and can never be called an overclocking mobo. In fact, the overvoltage on vcore causes heating of CPU. The mobo's CPU voltage setings are all crap. Setting any values doesnt change the actual vcore, which will be like 10~12% higher than the value in BIOS settings. Have tried to OC on a couple of M2N68, but after seeing this, i decided not to try again as it might burn up the proccy sooner or later.

Yeah, its true, when i checked my votage levels against that available on the net, there was a small extra voltage of 50~100mV or so for the CPU.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And i did all this on a 300W VIP! LOLz!

Back