Linux Rocking with PC Linux OS 2007 :)

zhopudey

Skilled
I can't believe it! Linux is actually working for me :D PCLOS seems to have solved the myriad of problems I had in my earlier attempts :) Here's a list of its amazing capabilities -

1) Installed painlessly on a sata hdd, with 2 other sata hdds connected.
2) Recognised the 3 windows installations I had (one on each hdd :p), and added them to Grub. :hap2:
3) Internet was configured in the Live CD itself, so no need to hunting for the network settings :p
4) NTFS read write support with ntfs-3g
5) All codecs preinstalled :clap: Everything from mp3 to avi to mov to HD works right out of the box! :cool2:
6) Nvidia driver install through synaptic.
7) Beryl up and running :eek:hyeah:
8) Every other software I need available through synaptic. No need to edit any sources.list file, no need to enable any repositories, infact, no need to use the console at all! :tongue:

I only discovered Amarok yesterday, and am already in love with it :cloud9: Amazing functionality! Everything I wanted in foobar is already present. Again, no need for any additions from the users.

I know most of you will say all this can be done in Ubuntu or some other distro. Well, I did try, and it didn't work for me. Inspite of having a 4gb dvd, I still had to download some 40mb of dependencies before installing the nvidia drivers :mad: PCLOS gives me all I need on a CD :clap: And I can always d/l individual software as and when needed.

All in all, 10/10 for PCLOS. Now all I need is Alsa to release 1.0.15, and I would probably shift to linux entirely :eek:hyeah: (well except for my 3D work)

:welcome: Finally to the Open Source world :D Its good it worked . .A nice distros .. Everything it has but never pleased me . As I had already have Ubuntu,open Suse 10.2 and Fedora 7 in Triple boot so this distross didn't stand upto them. Though the community has done a commendable job.. but still I had some stability issues with it :p None the less its a gr8 distros and if they continue they willl reach to gr8 height where Ubuntu and others are..

Few suggestions : Uninstall beryl , compiz and install compiz fusion..What I faced .. Amarok crashes after 3 times I max. the windows. :mad: a bit sucky interface compaerd to open SUSE and Kubuntu KDe,,The PCLOS control Center is just the replica of Mandriva :tongue: That's it :) But if its working for you then its gr8 :) Go ahead its a gr8 distross to start from :thumb:

That's cool news bro. GNU/Linux is getting better and better for a normal Desktop user.

For ur grub problem, open /boot/grub/menu.lst file in a editor and check the partitions names. It would be helpful if you can post ur menu.lst contents and the output of the command "fdisk -l" here.

montylee said:
That's cool news bro. GNU/Linux is getting better and better for a normal Desktop user.

For ur grub problem, open /boot/grub/menu.lst file in a editor and check the partitions names. It would be helpful if you can post ur menu.lst contents and the output of the command "fdisk -l" here.

Is PCLOS a Debian based OS ? :S Don't think so cause all my apt-get command and other failed in Terminal:mad:

Dark Star said:
Is PCLOS a Debian based OS ? :S Don't think so cause all my apt-get command and other failed in Terminal:mad:

Its a fork of mandriva - rpm based so package manager might be different. Maybe you can try yum or urpmi.

zhopudey said:
Wokay, will do that in the evening. Its all working, just that I got the names mixed up :p

So, you mean that ur windows installations are booting up fine, but the names being shown are incorrect.

In that case, just update the menu.lst file (it will show all the names being shown in the grub boot menu).

After changing menu.lst, just reboot and verify the change :)

Well, i have the pclos cd, but currently too happy with Sabayon...(the devil's linux..:devil: ) its dark..and i like it tht way...the unique sabayon theme is cool..:D Everything works out of the box in Sabayon too...i'll be getting a 500 gigger next month...then will try out pc los as well...:D

Whee....I'm doing some l33t haxor stuff! Compiling a software from source! :eek:hyeah:

Trying out this neat sidebar applet -  Kirocker Music Display KDE-Apps.org

Got a bunch of errors, but luckily am able to solve them so far. Problem is just some stuff thats missing. Good ol' synaptic to the rescue :hap2: So far, have downloaded c++ compiler, X libraries, QT libraries and KDE libraries. A faster interent connection would sure have helped :p

Congrats!!!

Ubuntu has some problems while building softwares from source. That's because the default installation doesn't include the source packages (esp. header files) so while compiling you'll get dependency errors.

I encountered numerous errors while building OpenGL 2.1 but finally came through :)

Dark Star said:
Nice sidebar but here what's a nice sidebar :p
Darky is that on Ubuntu ?? Which version ?
That sidebar looks kewl.. :hap2: :hap2:
Please go into details....while i install ubuntu.. :D

Back