Rooting SGS GT i9003 - Help Required

benryu

Adept
I want to root my Samsung Galaxy S GT i9003. All google searches show results for SL i9003 only. I dont know if those can be followed. I tried the software from unlockroot.com but that dint work out.

I recently updated to Gingerbread at the service centre.
Firmware version - 2.3.6
Baseband version - I9003DDKP4
Kernel version - 2.6.35.7-CL882023
dpi@DELL144 #1
Build number - GINGERBREAD.DDKP3

Can someone tell me which root guide to look for? I am confused whether to take the DDKP3 or DDKP4. Whats the difference between baseband version and build number. Which one should i look out for while rooting.

Thanks in advance.

i9003 is Galaxy SL (super LCD), i9000 was galaxy s and i9001 is galaxy s+

rooting is a very simple procedure
download this file (DDKP3-CFROOT-12-02-2012.tar) it's a rooted stock kernel for DDKP3
your firmware is DDKP3, your modem is DDKP4.. you must always select root for the PDA , check *#1234#
download Odin 1.83 (it's a flashing tool) , put your phone in download mode, connect it to the pc, open Odin..
Select the TAR file you downloaded in PDA, leave the rest empty and click start.. you should be rooted within a minute or two and clockwork mod will also be installed

Thanks for the info but my phone ie the GT i9003 is not Super LCD. My friend has the i9000 which is Super LCD. Same specs but internal storage is more on the i9000. It has 16gb compared to the 4gb on mine.

yea i got it just was confused when everyone say SL i9003 but in reality the model name is GT i9003 which the boot screen shows. Do i need to take any backups just in case anything goes wrong?

once rooted, go into recovery (volume up + home + power) and select the option backup and restore, and select full backup.. that's it .. in recovery volume keys are navigation keys and home is enter

^ There are many ROMs you can chose from. CM7, CM9(ICS based), MIUI to name a few. Go through XDA forum of a phone. You'll find them there.

@Giridegr8 do you know any good custom roms to install. i currently have gingerbread 2.3.6

Please visit Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 - xda-developers.

I have used GB ROMS in the past and these will probably give you better battery life than ICS (Android 4.0.4) ROMS. Also, in ICS ROMS, video recording and some other functions are not working. Maximum battery life is 1 day.

However, I am currently on RemICS ROM and loving it. Won't go back to GB. AOKP is also very good and more customizable, I think it had bit better battery life.

Since you are very new to rooting, I suggest you stay on stock ROM for a while, try to install MODS for that version if available. But since most people are moving on to ICS, many MODS may not be available for the latest GB firmware.

In any case, before moving to new ROM, take backup with Titanium Backup (for apps) and use MyBackupRoot for SMS/Contacts/Call logs etc. MyExplorer is also very good for all backups. Usually I take backups with multiple software. Nandroid backup is also must to restore complete ROM.

If you have not installed many apps yet then you better try out different ROMs for few days, just backup/restoer the contacts/sms/call logs and see what suits you.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
@jesrani thanks for all the info. What do you mean by MODS for a stock ROM? I dont get to spend much time at home so cant test every ROM.

@jesrani thanks for all the info. What do you mean by MODS for a stock ROM? I dont get to spend much time at home so cant test every ROM.

Normally stock ROMS (ones released by Samsung) are simple. MODS normally mean modified system files to give more functions like 14 toggle buttons in notification, extended power menu, kernel with overclock (OC) etc. But these may not be available for latest GB as everyone is focussed on ICS.
However if you use custom ROM like CM7 (CynogenMod based on GB) or ICS based CM9 or AOKP or RemICS, you already get some of those functions. But CM7 is still buggy (not all functions work, I think camera does not work). CM9 is more stable except for some functions like video recording etc not working. If you are not particular about video recording, I suggest you try AOKP Build 40 by vurrut, [ROM][4.0.4]GalaxySL[AOKP]Build40[25/06/12] - xda-developers. You can download free themes from market and it looks very nice and many functions. But you have to know how to take backups and flash properly else you may "brick" your phone. Also, take backup of efs folder first ([I9003] Request for EFS backup and Restore - xda-developers). If you don't have much time and don't need many functions, just root your phone, deodex (if possible), remove unnecessary apps, Deodex And Delete Unwanted Apps (updated 03/07/2012) - xda-developers and enjoy the phone. Don't get into complications.

got little time on weekends to try this stuff. Already rooted using odin and created backup using nandroid. Have to install Titanium Backup though. Video recording not required as long as camera works i am fine with it. I will try the AOKP one. Do i need to flash my phone before that? I have many apps now think around 50.

when i was rooting with the above ddkp3 cfroot.my computer suddenly turned off in the middle .
now my android 2.3.6 os in my galaxy sl gt i9003 has been gone like a computer without os
what to do ???????????????????????
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help
it is my fathers mobile
he will kiill me when he comes to know about it
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

- - - Updated - - -

any way galaxy sl suckzzz
galaxy s is the best

when i was rooting with the above ddkp3 cfroot.my computer suddenly turned off in the middle .
now my android 2.3.6 os in my galaxy sl gt i9003 has been gone like a computer without os
what to do ???????????????????????
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help
it is my fathers mobile
he will kiill me when he comes to know about it
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

- - - Updated - - -

any way galaxy sl suckzzz
galaxy s is the best

to start with, calm yourself down..
check if u can put your mobile on download (volume+home+menu). if yes, its not bricked yet and thank yourself for not %^%ing it up completely.
try learning how to flash a custom rom from xda forums and use a laptop to do so (afterall learning from ones own mitake issnt a crime) before further crewing it up.
be patient to read the op carefully and also some pages of the latest posts in the thread before flashing any rom (lack of knowledge is not a mistake but can be termed as a stupidity)
lastly, believe it or not, buying a smartphone doesnt make anyone sso smart, sso sstop complaining about the phone that u have which u cant maintain

Back