PC Peripherals Router I should buy ?

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
Requirement is pretty simple.
1) Strong WiFi Signal.
2) Good connectivity options.
3) Can I directly connect a fiber incoming line to it ?
4) Can support gaming and streaming option.
5) WiFi 6 ?

Budget ? I have no idea. it should be worth upgrading and paying for it.

Last edited:
#3 is not possible as per my knowledge. if its possible i am ready to kick airtel crap (using just as modem) out of my home.
#4 is marketing gimmick "terminology".
Budget ? I have no idea. it should be worth upgrading and paying for it.
Budget is the main thing :) along with the coverage area.

If you have a large area check out TP-Link Deco E4 (cost around 8k for 3 unit pack) - i have see it installed in a friends' place all 3 units were wired, and they provides seamless 100+mpbs across his huge home area, multiple people streaming HD/4k simultaneously. downside it wont connect to older devices ( draft-n and earlier).

if quality is your thing-
option-1 you have relative smaller room, check out nighthawk series.
option-2 you really want to kill it check Ubiquiti.

Last edited:
IMO Wifi 6 in still in early stages with most commercial implementations being quite barebones.

if you're the savvy type, you might want to check for openWRT support before you buy. I personally am using an archer C6 as my main router and a flashed archer c20 v1 as an extender + DLNA media server with a HDD connected to the USB port on the router.

covers my fairly large home.

damn that is pricey, 20k or something ?
i don't have any first hand exp with the newest ASUS , had one long back that was rock solid guess it was rtn13. i loved the firmware of asus.. very user friendly.

back to the particular model.. im not able to find any reviews of this model in smallnetbuilder. ( i dont believe in 99.99% review online if isn't backed by real data. youtube reviews are just "feeling" based on someones else condition.

the closes review i was able to find is this - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/review-asus-rt-ax82u.65508/
and with some facts and figures - https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9...n-and-Pricing-Availability-and-Specifications

given you want to invest ~20k in the router check this out - https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/ranking/WiFi5/rev10/391/0 for top rated routers.
I personally wont put that much money in a consumer grade routers.

Last edited:
If you'd like a more hands-on approach AND you're able to run ethernet along the outside of your home, then take any low-cost Mikrotik ethernet router, four Mi wifi routers set up as access points on low power mode, and wire them up in a staggered fashion along two opposing sides of your house. The idea is to create 'pools' of wifi with the same ssid/password that the devices nearest would connect/switchover to. You'd also want a pihole on a raspberry pi to block whatever spying these Mi routers would want to do. This setup should cost around 10k.

I've had this for a few years, and I can pretty much get 80+mbps anywhere, through any number of walls, with about 40 devices on wifi at any given time. That speed limitation is because of the 100mbit ports of these routers. Since the wiring would already be in place, you could upgrade to gigabit models at a later date.

And if you're willing to learn RouterOS, you can do some amazing things. But to be honest, learning RouterOS is the most difficult thing I've ever had to do in my entire life.

Pricing is terrible on Amazon for Mikrotik hardware, MultilinkOnline is much better.

Currently I am in an rented flat so the issue is multiple access point this is not possible as wiring and other is not possible.

MultilinkOnline is much better.
wow, thank you for this site. prices are very reasonable. or example netgear switch which cost 1400 in real is listed there. where as chor amazon asking 3200/- for the same thing.

if you know any more such site please do let me know. im in hunt of buying a hardware router/firewall.

IMO Wifi 6 in still in early stages with most commercial implementations being quite barebones.

if you're the savvy type, you might want to check for openWRT support before you buy. I personally am using an archer C6 as my main router and a flashed archer c20 v1 as an extender + DLNA media server with a HDD connected to the USB port on the router.

covers my fairly large home.
wtf is a commercial implementation of wifi6?

if you have a wifi 6 router you are done..

wow, thank you for this site. prices are very reasonable. or example netgear switch which cost 1400 in real is listed there. where as chor amazon asking 3200/- for the same thing.

if you know any more such site please do let me know. im in hunt of buying a hardware router/firewall.
Ubiquiti has an Indian store too.

FYI- multilink is mentioned in their distributors list. Many of the distributors mentioned on ubiquiti India, also sell other brands. Looks like they sell networking hardware in general. Take a look at them to compare prices and other devices too.

I suggest TP-link Archer series for the best use, Excellent range with no lag in connectivity. But I still recommend you ask your local connection provider for the best. Due to location variations brands are suggested.
local provider gives nothing :p

The list prices are without GST, but it still ends up way cheaper than Amazon. I've a few orders from MultilinkOnline. They don't really have any system for order updates. I place an order, pay online, and receive the package in a few days without any notification. I'm guessing they're focused on B2B instead of sales to consumers.

Another place with good prices is LTOnlineStore, but I haven't purchased anything from them yet.

I switched from a Asus RT-AC68U to a mesh Netgear Orbi RBK50 2 weeks back.

I really liked the Asus one with Merlin firmware. Worked like a champ with my PiHole as well without any client side configuration.

The 3 things I hate about the Orbi are the router doing a DNS relay instead of showing my custom Pihole IP as the DNS server, no USB port to power my PiHole and the inability to create 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with different names.

My laptops connect to the 5 GHz band but reduce the speed from 866 Mbps which is the maximum a dual antenna Wifi 5 GHz card supports.
This is in spite of sitting beside the router .

But the range coverage is awesome.

The fiber optic is connected to a ONT device in my case provided by the ISP(Siti Cable) which then connects to the router WAN port using a standard ethernet cable.

Wifi 6 is not much of a concern at this point if you are not copying 10 GB files from a NAS over wifi. 4k streaming works like a champ over 5 GHz only.

Do not pay extra for the gaming features on routers (cough...cough Asus looking at you) as they provide negligible benefits unless you are a pro gramer competing in tournaments with real money. :p

I switched from a Asus RT-AC68U to a mesh Netgear Orbi RBK50 2 weeks back.

I really liked the Asus one with Merlin firmware. Worked like a champ with my PiHole as well without any client side configuration.

The 3 things I hate about the Orbi are the router doing a DNS relay instead of showing my custom Pihole IP as the DNS server, no USB port to power my PiHole and the inability to create 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with different names.

My laptops connect to the 5 GHz band but reduce the speed from 866 Mbps which is the maximum a dual antenna Wifi 5 GHz card supports.
This is in spite of sitting beside the router .

But the range coverage is awesome.

The fiber optic is connected to a ONT device in my case provided by the ISP(Siti Cable) which then connects to the router WAN port using a standard ethernet cable.

Wifi 6 is not much of a concern at this point if you are not copying 10 GB files from a NAS over wifi. 4k streaming works like a champ over 5 GHz only.

Do not pay extra for the gaming features on routers (cough...cough Asus looking at you) as they provide negligible benefits unless you are a pro gramer competing in tournaments with real money. :p
The issue is that mesh is not an option for me as of now. I personally use the Cisco Linksys router bought in 2016 or so. issue with this router is that weak wifi signal. drops even at 10 feet if we have a wall. mostly my system is connected to lan but all other devices which my family uses is via wifi. so currenly need some thing which is not mesh but does good job !

Back