PC Peripherals Router I should buy ?

Today notice that my lan connection is having high packet loose issue. maybe tje RJ45 port is damage but when using connection on wifi, almost no packet loose. but on wifi max speed on mobile devices is 20 mbps and on system I got 26mbps. now router really needs an update I think :p I am still searching for a good router as in terms of models I have only category but not a specific Item.

Mesh
The 3 things I hate about the Orbi are the router doing a DNS relay instead of showing my custom Pihole IP as the DNS server, no USB port to power my PiHole and the inability to create 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with different names.

I think you should let the pihole do DHCP as well.

I am still losed.
Don't get confused now. Whats the square footage of your apartment?

If you are in the 600-800 sq ft range I would suggest Asus RT-AC68U. Rock solid router that I used for more than 1.5 years. Will cost you around 11-12k.

If you can place the router centrally it will manage a wider coverage of your home but keeping in mind you have a hard wired gaming PC that might not be possible.

If you are not transferring gigabytes of data frequently over wifi then this router is faster than most internet connections you can have.

If you want hassle free wide coverage of your entire home go with Orbi RBK50. Keep in mind each node has 1 less RJ45 and no USB ports for any Pi.

I had to go to Orbi as my router is in my room which is connected via Cat6 to two PCs so I can't place the router in the drawing room. The ISP fibre enters through my window,goes through a concealed wiring channel in the wall and comes out of the switchboard behind my PC desk. Its then connected to a ONT device which then passes on to the router via a standard LAN cable.

Your connection is fiber as well or does your ISP provide connection via LAN cable?

Don't get confused now. Whats the square footage of your apartment?

If you are in the 600-800 sq ft range I would suggest Asus RT-AC68U. Rock solid router that I used for more than 1.5 years. Will cost you around 11-12k.

If you can place the router centrally it will manage a wider coverage of your home but keeping in mind you have a hard wired gaming PC that might not be possible.

If you are not transferring gigabytes of data frequently over wifi then this router is faster than most internet connections you can have.

If you want hassle free wide coverage of your entire home go with Orbi RBK50. Keep in mind each node has 1 less RJ45 and no USB ports for any Pi.

I had to go to Orbi as my router is in my room which is connected via Cat6 to two PCs so I can't place the router in the drawing room. The ISP fibre enters through my window,goes through a concealed wiring channel in the wall and comes out of the switchboard behind my PC desk. Its then connected to a ONT device which then passes on to the router via a standard LAN cable.

Your connection is fiber as well or does your ISP provide connection via LAN cable?
Flat is not more than 800 sqft. ISP have fiber on top of building and from their pan comes in. For 2.5k extra they will give me a fiber and router for that fiber which I think is useless in my case.

also if you have 2 different isp connection ? Do we need a switch or an router will do ! Due to packet loss I am planning to get a backup line from different isp but how to automatically switch is what I am thinking of ! I should have done CCNA thing …

Then get a proper Pi
Got a Pi 4 which is used for downloads. Problem is I have installed TinyRSS manually and piHole webUI installation messes up TinyRSS due to conflicts on the nginx setup.

Furthermore the Pi4 runs on NordVPN continously and pihole didn't work very well on that. Random timeout issues and whatnot.

On another note I went with Pi Zero W as I wanted the Pi to be powered off the router USB port itself.

Nonetheless I have manually configured DNS on all my devices along with static IP and then added the aliases to Pi hosts file for the name resolution.
Its a janky setup but works for now.
Flat is not more than 800 sqft. ISP have fiber on top of building and from their pan comes in. For 2.5k extra they will give me a fiber and router for that fiber which I think is useless in my case.

also if you have 2 different isp connection ? Do we need a switch or an router will do ! Due to packet loss I am planning to get a backup line from different isp but how to automatically switch is what I am thinking of ! I should have done CCNA thing …
You mean to say that the ISP ONT device is on the rooftop and then a Cat6 cable comes down to your apartment?

ISP switchover is not something I have done but I read about it when I was thinking of a similar setup but backed off the idea.

I am not sure if failover will work for a spotty connection though. I guess it will need full failure to switchover to backup ISP.

Got a Pi 4 which is used for downloads. Problem is I have installed TinyRSS manually and piHole webUI installation messes up TinyRSS due to conflicts on the nginx setup.

Furthermore the Pi4 runs on NordVPN continously and pihole didn't work very well on that. Random timeout issues and whatnot.

On another note I went with Pi Zero W as I wanted the Pi to be powered off the router USB port itself.

Nonetheless I have manually configured DNS on all my devices along with static IP and then added the aliases to Pi hosts file for the name resolution.
Its a janky setup but works for now.

You mean to say that the ISP ONT device is on the rooftop and then a Cat6 cable comes down to your apartment?

ISP switchover is not something I have done but I read about it when I was thinking of a similar setup but backed off the idea.

I am not sure if failover will work for a spotty connection though. I guess it will need full failure to switchover to backup ISP.

Manually fix one of them on nginx

You can use the Cisco rv042 (Around 7k) Its multi wan with Failover (One connection remains as the primary and when that fails due to powerloss/ cable cut it automatically switches to the backup connection )and Load balancing option. But the ethernet ports are only 100 Mbps.
If you need gigabit ethernet ports Go with Cisco Rv 340 for around 14k
Both of them Do not have Wi-Fi though.

Have been using the Cisco Rv042 for more than a year now Works flawlessly, Has saved my ass a lot of times...

Last edited:
Afte
You can use the Cisco rv042 (Around 7k) Its multi wan with Failover (One connection remains as the primary and when that fails due to powerloss/ cable cut it automatically switches to the backup connection )and Load balancing option. But the ethernet ports are only 100 Mbps.
If you need gigabit ethernet ports Go with Cisco Rv 340 for around 14k
Both of them Do not have Wi-Fi though.

Have been using the Cisco Rv042 for more than a year now Works flawlessly, Has saved my ass a lot of times..

after paying 14k no WiFi is a bummer for Rv340.

why don't we have fiber support in this expensive routes. I have been told that Rs. 2500 for fiber cable and router installation to my flat. kinda bummer as I could have gone for better router and ask them to only charge for the cable.

why don't we have fiber support in this expensive routes. I have been told that Rs. 2500 for fiber cable and router installation to my flat. kinda bummer as I could have gone for better router and ask them to only charge for the cable.
The only alternative is buying a basic gigabit ONU (Used to cost 750, now costs 1k) and using router of your choice in bridge mode.

I think it stems from the older method fo connection where we used to have a modem and router separately.

I personally thinks it better to split functionalities (i.e. ONT for optical to ethernet conversion and router for home network) as if one node fails you don't need to replace both.

I think it stems from the older method fo connection where we used to have a modem and router separately.

I personally thinks it better to split functionalities (i.e. ONT for optical to ethernet conversion and router for home network) as if one node fails you don't need to replace both.
Quality wala to mile :/

The only alternative is buying a basic gigabit ONU (Used to cost 750, now costs 1k) and using router of your choice in bridge mode.
Can you share the link. was not able to find one.

Can you share the link.
Depending on what OLT your ISP uses,you need to buy either EPON or GPON.
There are various manufacturers. I'm linking the prominent ones that I know of.

Richerlink:

Optilink:

Syrotech:

Depending on what OLT your ISP uses,you need to buy either EPON or GPON.
There are various manufacturers. I'm linking the prominent ones that I know of.

Richerlink:

Optilink:

Syrotech:
Syrotech is what they give. lets see as they have attached the router to my apartment top and from their we get a connection. have asked them to get me cat5 so that they can connect 2 of the wires for power to the router so that I get internet even when I have power cut.

I own the Asus AC68U (Tmobile cellspot version) which I got like back in 2017 or something (don't exactly remember) and it still is working stellar. I got this in US but liked the router so much I decided to not sell and bring with me here to India.

Currently it is main router in my home and covers my 1000.sqft home well.
Infact I have an iBall router too which Is serving as access point but In my bedroom, from where the iBall is nearer and Asus further, I still get strong Asus signal and great speeds.

The iBall is 2 years old almost and myself also checking whether I should buy another replacement router which isn't very costly but has great range especially in Indian flats which have brick walls etc.

Last edited:
Requirement is pretty simple.
1) Strong WiFi Signal.
2) Good connectivity options.
3) Can I directly connect a fiber incoming line to it ?
4) Can support gaming and streaming option.
5) WiFi 6 ?

Budget ? I have no idea. it should be worth upgrading and paying for it.
I have been using TP-Link A2300 for almost 4 years and it still serves the purpose. I also use it for sharing my Plex Server and it does the job of streaming uncompressed 4K movies over my network. However it does not support Fiber line but many routers don't have it either. Instead I piggyback it to my Airtel's Fiber Optic Router with simple LAN cable, so don't need router with fiber optic port.

Back