PC Peripherals Running computer on generator backup?

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
Hi,

My brother has a computer he needs running even during power cuts. Currently hes using an APC Back UPS500 which obviously cant run >15 min. :hap5:

He has a huge genset at his place (dont know exact power...but it runs into a couple of kVAs) The kind that supports a couple of ACs n stuff.... :eek:hyeah:

So how do i get his computer running longer?

Is it ok to run the UPS off the genset? I think the relay on the UPS starts oscillating in ON-OFF mode types continuously. :huh:

What other options do I have to survive power cuts for say a couple of hours? (say...5-6hrs continuous....)

All suggestions appreciated :)

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
no problems running it off the genset :) we once used a genset to run a LAN party for a college festival. no problems at all. but wait for the genset voltage to stabilize before connecting it to the PC and turning it on. And just to be safe , connect a UPS in between :)

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
techie_007 said:
I think the relay on the UPS starts oscillating in ON-OFF mode types continuously. :huh:

That would depend on the UPS. Some UPS are sensitive to the voltage fluctuations and would keep clicking. You obviously cant use them. Connecting directly would be risky.

So try out a UPS which isnt all that sensitive.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
your genset should have a stable output first. only after that should it be loaded , and that too gradually. i guess your brother should know this :D

Ratna333

Disciple
Feb 10, 2007
What other options do I have to survive power cuts for say a couple of hours? (say...5-6hrs continuous....)
You can get a good quality inverter solely for the comp .... that may serve your purpose. :)

foxxen

Recruit
Aug 10, 2007
There are 2 great websites which can help you with this.

The first is Index. This site helps you work out what size and type of generator you need.

generatorguru.com is also a useful site when I was buying my generator. It has an interactive advice centre. But you need sound to hear it. Great site tho!

I would def check them out. It got my head around it.

Foxxen

1st one is whatgenerator.com

Sorry keeps saying index. The other was generatorguru.com

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
hmmm...thanks for the help guys.

He already has a huge generator so doubt the sites are gonna help....it cost him a lotta money n hes not gonna change it :D

Will tell him to try running on generator (with UPS in between of course) :)

janitha

Adept
Jul 31, 2007
I think you should ensure two things about the generator output. One is frequency which should be 50 hertz and the voltage 220-230 V. Further, I have seen advertisements of generator compatible UPSs. You may enquire about them also.

pcstore

Disciple
Jun 21, 2007
www.pcstore.co.in
I guess you can check out with local electrical shop(experience in building transformer/ups) they can guide you whats the output of your generator and what needed to modify it for the UPS.

I didnt know all these before. i went straight for a 10kVA ups and 8hrs backup :)

Lozil

Disciple
Feb 11, 2006
Bangalore
lozil.blogspot.com
Generators Produce voltage same as what we get from the Power Lines so U can safely connect ur generator to Comp With UPS in Between and As everyone was telling above Wait for a some 20-40 sec to voltage to get stabilized, And Running other Appliences with gen while running PC may overload the gen and bring down the voltage.

pcstore

Disciple
Jun 21, 2007
www.pcstore.co.in
unless there is a purpose for big UPS .. its not worth compare to generator.

It cost me around 2.3 lakh with 3yrs warranty. UPS may sound costly compare to generator but it has other benefit over generator as well.