Have you provided two pics?
  1. Yes
Remaining Warranty Period
3 Years
Invoice Available?
No
Reason for Sale
Need Cash
Basically brand new in box Ryzen 5 3600 Processor purchased on July 1st of this year from PrimeABGB for an eye watering Rs 15,434.

Opened for testing, original invoice is misplaced but I'll request a duplicate soft copy tomorrow and attach it in another post.

Priced it as low as I can go, seven days testing warranty.

Attachments

• photo_2022-08-17 22.35.37.jpeg
    photo_2022-08-17 22.35.37.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 114
  • photo_2022-08-17 22.35.39.jpeg
    photo_2022-08-17 22.35.39.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 97
  • photo_2022-08-17 22.35.41.jpeg
    photo_2022-08-17 22.35.41.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.42.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.42.06 PM.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 116
sold, thanks everyone
I'm curious as to why didn't you go for the alder lake something like 12100 it stomps the 3600 in single and thread and equals in multi threaded performance as well within the same power limit.

It would have costed you 10k that's literally 5k less than what you paid for this chip

Sorry for OT, OP

I'm curious as to why didn't you go for the alder lake something like 12100 it stomps the 3600 in single and thread and equals in multi threaded performance as well within the same power limit.

It would have costed you 10k that's literally 5k less than what you paid for this chip
When you buy a processor, you need compatible motherboard + RAM for it as well. I don't know the comparison you made is on which motherboard with what RAM etc
But 3600 is a drop-in replacement for any Ryzen processor in any AM4 motherboard. DDR4 is cheap.

Sorry for OT, OP

When you buy a processor, you need compatible motherboard + RAM for it as well. I don't know the comparison you made is on which motherboard with what RAM etc
But 3600 is a drop-in replacement for any Ryzen processor in any AM4 motherboard. DDR4 is cheap.
Well entry level alder lake is also quite cheap a h610 board is pretty cheap starts around 6-7k also it only supports DDR4 that's good enough , yeah no over clocking support though.

Recently have built a couple of budget builds and transistor for transistor I found intel to be cheaper especially at lower end.

AMD has been making a killing as been evident from recent earnings report and sales figures.

intel is loosing money as they are trying to compete with AMD and they are now the budget option trying to sell their products at lower margins to acquire mind share and market share from AMD.

AMD didn't even bother launching anything below 5600x until recently you saw them release some half hearted quad cores to compete with intel.

Competition is really good for consumers can't wait for AMD and intel to go for blood bath with each other in upcoming CPU release

I'm curious as to why didn't you go for the alder lake something like 12100

The intended use for this processor (and accompanying motherboard) was as a virtualization host.

multi threaded performance

A 12100 would have about ~20% less performance than 3600 in multi-threaded workloads. In my experience, virtualization workloads across processors is about as close to synthetic workloads as you can get so this is one area where Passmark scores between processors is a good indicator of performance comparison:

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 12.46.19 PM.png

Again, I should stress that Passmark is really only good for comparative single-threaded and multi-threaded performance between processors on CPU-limited workloads. It completely ignores platform features, performance and maturity. Which is perfectly fine for me since all I care about is raw CPU performance. Passmark shouldn't be relied upon for gaming, editing (not encoding) or productivity workloads.

When you buy a processor, you need compatible motherboard

a h610 board is pretty cheap

For virtualization, AM4 is the sweet spot for entire platform cost.

This is because you do require a full ATX motherboard, because of the minimum of three network connections you'll need when you're using a virtualization environment like Proxmox: one for Corosync, keeping the cluster in sync, one for Migration of VM's between nodes for higher availability if you ever need to power down a node for cleaning/maintenance, and one or two more more for actual virtual machine data. You can theoretically use a single link for all three if you a have a few nodes, but my cluster traffic has grown to the point where I do need all three.

A quad port network card is not a cost effective option in india nor is it easily available, so 4x network cards that cost under 3k would need a motherboard with 4x free expansion slots. Motherboard manufacturers have caught on to the fact that people are using consumer level motherboards in a homelab environment and have been removing expansion card slots with each new launch. There are no 12th gen motherboards with 4x expansion card slots under 12k. It's also difficult to find affordable B550 motherboards with 4x slots, but B450 motherboards are plentiful.

The four extra threads of the 3600 gives it a noticeable edge over the 12100. Both platforms support 128GB of memory, that's about 400 Windows 7 VM's or about 2000 Docker containers. You really do need as many threads as possible at that point.

As for why so many VM's or dockers, I've mentioned on and off in my previous posts but it's basically a grind. There are numerous 'passive income' apps that pay you to use device/vm/system for compute or bandwidth and payout in cryptocurrency. The pay per device/vm is in the single digit rupee range but when you scale up to hundreds or thousands, it becomes profitable though not dependable source of income — which is why I sold this processor, since the earnings aren't matching the emi payments with the current crypto crash.

Recently have built a couple of budget builds and transistor for transistor I found intel to be cheaper especially at lower end.

This is true, for productivity/gaming workloads, Intel is the better option right now.

AMD has been making a killing as been evident from recent earnings report and sales figures.

intel is loosing money as they are trying to compete with AMD and they are now the budget option trying to sell their products at lower margins to acquire mind share and market share from AMD.

AMD didn't even bother launching anything below 5600x until recently you saw them release some half hearted quad cores to compete with intel.

Intel underestimated AMD's rise to popularity and are now paying for it. AMD, once they reacquired the performance crown, acted just as they did the last time they were market leaders — higher prices, higher margin products. Some consumers excuse that since AMD went through many years of little to no profits and they deserve reap in the profits while some consumers, rightfully, disagree.

Competition is really good for consumers can't wait for AMD and intel to go for blood bath with each other in upcoming CPU release

I like both companies but I might like AMD a little bit more than Intel, but it's only a little bit more and both companies have very exciting products coming up.

This is an interesting discussion, it probably would end up being lost here in the marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back