Storage Solutions Safest method to erase DVD RW's

Hi Guys

Yesterday i erased my friends sony dvd+rw in my benq 1640.
It want detected later it got erased successfully at 2.4x in like 2mins.

But when i tried the erased DVD+RW in college DVD Writer it was detected.
Lol i was clueless what was going on.

Also now i got myself a Moser Baer DVD+RW so wanted to ask u guys before
i screw up a DVD+RW.

Please guys suggest me what went wrong.
That DVD+RW was not at all detected in my Benq DW1640.

I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition & Benq DW 1640 Firmware is BSHB [thats what i saw in device mgr]
Where can i check my firmware.
Also is a firmware upgrade needed.

quad about erasing, use this program, its freeware, DVDInfoPro
FAST FORMAT
This will quick format a correctly mounted valid media. This option is compatiblewith DVD-RW or DVD+RW only. Any attempt to use CD-RW will result in an error.For DVD+RW it works in conjunction with the ‘compatible close’ option discussed later.
DVD+RW
For this type of media a format type 26h (DVD+RW Basic format) is performed.It works in conjunction with ‘Compatible Close’. When the foreground part of this background format is completed, the program suspends the background format by issuing a ‘close session’ command. The length of time this close takes depends on the setting of the ‘Compatible Close’ setting.

Have u used this personally dip.
Also guys cmon theres no one here who erases a DVD , plz post the softwares u use and have had success also benq 1640 users plz post.

QM - I have the BENQ 1640 and use Moser 4x +RW as well as Sony 4x +RW and I use them often - I use Nero 6 to erase these disks. Never had a problem ............ YET !!

I always run a Quick erase but if ever I run into a problem with a disk not erasing I will run a Full erase on it.

I had a lot of Verbatim and other cheap brands of CDRW's and if I ever had a problem erasing one of the cheap brands I used to run the freeware SuperBlank to erase the disk This program was amazing it would sucessfully erase a disk which could not be recognised by the drive !!! I wonder if SuperBlank works on DVDRWs.

http://www.infinadyne.com/download.shtml#SUPERBLANK

I also use nero itself...... Give it another try dude!!! Dont have a panic attack if once it does not work :p

Try the Full Erase if the Quick erase is giving you problems.

How can i check my current firmware on the benq.

Also is it req to update the firmware , can someone suggest me a proper firmware to update.
And the tool used to update a firmware.

will do a full format on the moser baer dvd+rw.

My Nero Version is 6.3.1.20 Ultra Edt.

Quad Master said:
I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition & Benq DW 1640 Firmware is BSHB [thats what i saw in device mgr]
Where can i check my firmware.
Also is a firmware upgrade needed.

BSHB is a bit old now... Firmware shows up on boot when drives are listed as well as in Nero under Recorder - Choose Recorder

See my post about how to flash BENQ firmware and other misc info also check the messages that follow this one.....

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/331372-post92.html

Do you want to make your drive RPC1 (region free) than get the firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org/

For BENQ firmwares go to

http://support.benq.com/front/BenqM...langu=null&ops=2756&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

the BENQ 1640 BSLB and BSOB are meant to be good the BSMB is buggy. I use BSLB RPC1 verson from the link I have given.

Yes checked in Nero it shows BSHB.

Thanks eazy , so rpc 1 means region free firmware.

Downloaded
BSOB Release Date: 23-Dec-2005
BSLB Release Date: 31-Aug-2005

And ur BSLB RPC1.

Cant we use a software like DVD Idle Pro in background to bypass region checking.

And we can use official BSOB.

Quad Master said:
Cant we use a software like DVD Idle Pro in background to bypass region checking.

You may be right in this ..... BUT .... I have a friend who has a lot of movies from China which is Region 6 and I cannot take a chance on getting my DVD drives getting locked to this region !! :O

I use ANYDVD as well RPC1 firmware - better to be safe than sorry !!!

If you want a freeware region protection software check out DVD Region Killer. I run this on my second setup and it is pretty good.

By-The-Way BSLB firmware is NOT very good with -R media - if you are going to use -R's then use the BSOB firmware - this is the reason why I switched to +R Moser media which burns fine with BSLB RPC1.

Ok thanks a lot Eazy.

I dont get many Movie DVD's and DVD Idle Pro works gr8 at my uncles place as i only had recommended him and even worked gr8 on my old rig.

So will use BSOB with DVD Idle Pro.

Back