Sai Computers - Western Digital HDD Warranty Scam

Flipkart prices are much higher than what we can get products for in the Metro's. At least Bombay & Delhi.

Unless it's stuff i can't get anywhere else, or stuff where the local prices are not much different... i DONT order from Flipkart. Flipkart's pricing policy has gone for a bit of a moonwalk. Earlier they used to be reasonably consistent and competitive.

Now they just cater to the non metro demand for niche/higher priced produts and that means they price at higher levels than what we can get here locally.

@mach9 : Their price is the cheapest i found when compared with other retailers selling it online.

I am not sure of the local price so can't say anything on that

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ online mabybe :)

but for me I can go to lamington road n buy from any of the dealers there. So for this kind of stuff, Flipkart is usually much more expensive in my experience. I was just not sure why Prime/IT Wares/SMC International are not selling the WD Black on their online portals.

That's why i was asking if any of the mumbai guys here knew any dealer or the local price

^^ I have bought my drive from that link only and got full warranty.

They need to update it as warranty is backed by WD with full 5 years on every black drive.

coincidentally.. anyone here from Mumbai?... was looking to get myself a WD Black 1TB but didn't get anyone of the mumbai based dealers like IT Wares/Prime selling them online.

Any idea how much the 1TB Black WD's are going for and who in Lammy has it?

I myself am from Mumbai. Sai Computers is based in Sunil Shopping centre, andheri (W) near station

Even I had contacted prime , LT road and they did not have Caviar black, 1 tb in stock.

As Nalin suggested best is to buy from flipkart. I am myself regretting and feel i should have bought from flipkart even if i had to wait for the hdd for a few days

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Nalin for the serial number of your hard drive.
Lets hope i get a new drive

Latest Flipkart price is 5800/- odd which i feel is a good price

I had contacted prime by telephone and they said they dont have in stock and have no idea when will they have it

I myself am from Mumbai. Sai Computers is based in Sunil Shopping centre, andheri (W) near station

Even I had contacted prime , LT road and they did not have Caviar black, 1 tb in stock.

As Nalin suggested best is to buy from flipkart. I am myself regretting and feel i should have bought from flipkart even if i had to wait for the hdd for a few days

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Nalin for the serial number of your hard drive.
Lets hope i get a new drive

Latest Flipkart price is 5800/- odd which i feel is a good price

I had contacted prime by telephone and they said they dont have in stock and have no idea when will they have it

ok thanks

^^ I have bought my drive from that link only and got full warranty.

They need to update it as warranty is backed by WD with full 5 years on every black drive.

That's weird for sure, but as we've seen with this thread itself... Flipkart should not make such a mistake unless those drives somehow actually are a batch with 2yrs warranty? -- just thinking aloud here.

Weird. I was checking a week ago & they didn't have either the 500GB or the 1TB Black. Thanks tho!

That's weird for sure, but as we've seen with this thread itself... Flipkart should not make such a mistake unless those drives somehow actually are a batch with 2yrs warranty? -- just thinking aloud here.
Weird. I was checking a week ago & they didn't have either the 500GB or the 1TB Black. Thanks tho!

Yeah it seems like 90% of these online retailers are not aware of this plain fact, even IT Wares has also mentioned 2 years warranty.

These things create a lot of confusions in the buyer's mind at the time of purchasing.

Due to this, shopkeepers like Sai Computers take the advantage and rip off their customers.

Its really shocking to see this and more so since I also do a lot of my IT shopping from Sunil Shopping Centre. Sai and Neotech Computers... depending on who offers better pricing. Is Neotech the same in these matters? Can the guys here recommend any decent hardware stores in Mumbai Western Region who don't indulge in such unfair trade practices?

OP can you give me the model number of the drive.

The model number is WD1002FAEX

- - - Updated - - -

Good news guys

Went today to Sai Computers with printout of Nalin's HDD warranty details.
Showed it to the person i deal with (Kumar bhai aka KAKA). He showed it to someone else and I also added that i know other people who have got 5 year warranty. The other guy immediately called up someone which he claims is the regional manager of WD and asked him what is the warranty period of WD BLACK CAVIAR drives

The answer was 5 years :) I wonder why he could not call up and check when i was arguing with him since almost a week that there should be 5 year warranty. Anyways what was good on Sai Computers side was that they never even tried to give excuses or delay the matter or wash their hands off the incident. KAKA told me the new drive will come by monday evening and i can bring the old drive and take the new one. I added that before accepting it I will check the warranty of that HDD.

Before leaving the other guy told me that 90 percent of customers dont bother so much with warranty period so we also dont check before we sell. Now I am not sure what to think. Did he know that it was refurbished drive or not? Whatever it is I am happy that i did not need to raise my voice. I was mentally ready to argue and actually make a police complaint if nothing worked out

Thanks to all of you and Nalin I could get a brand new drive (will get it by Monday)

I guess from now on Sai compyters will double check if they are selling a refurbished drive or not

Again thanks a lot all of you. Thanks TE

I will request mods to add "RESOLVED" to title thread once the drive is in my hands

- - - Updated - - -

Mods please delete this post as somebody already point out this.

Flipkart also showing 2 years WARRANTY? So whom to blame Distributor or Sellers?

Even though Flipkart shows 2 years warranty when you check the warranty of a CAVIAR BLACK drive purchased from flipkart it will show 5 years.
Where as in my case it showed 22 months

@rikhav : I am glad to know that the problem is solved , just update the status when you get a new drive in your hands.

I am more than happy to help fellow TE members :p

Last edited by a moderator:
rikhav : I am glad to know that the problem is solved , just update the status when you get a new drive in your hands.

I am more than happy to help fellow TE members :p

For sure I will update the status once the drive is in my hands.
I am really thankful to you and other members who helped me out. And ofcourse how can we forget TE

Another update
Received a call from Sai Computers today. They told me that the HDD with 5 year warranty will cost 1000 bucks more. They said they confirmed with WD and there are 2 versions (one with 2 year warranty and one with 5 years)

Now I am very sure that they knew that the drive they are selling me is a refurbished drive. But I did not had the time and patience this time to argue with him to prove that there are no 2 versions of the BLACK CAVIAR HDD. It just carries 5 years warranty.

I for sure am not purchasing anything from them from now on

Another update
Received a call from Sai Computers today. They told me that the HDD with 5 year warranty will cost 1000 bucks more. They said they confirmed with WD and there are 2 versions (one with 2 year warranty and one with 5 years)

Now I am very sure that they knew that the drive they are selling me is a refurbished drive. But I did not had the time and patience this time to argue with him to prove that there are no 2 versions of the BLACK CAVIAR HDD. It just carries 5 years warranty.

I for sure am not purchasing anything from them from now on

do you have the bill. could you please post a pic of it here and also send me a pm with the details.
i can try and help you out.
i need the following
1)pic of the bill
2)screenshot showing the remaining warranty period
3)picture/ serial number of drive.

cheers

Thanks a lot cyberwarfare for your help
I think i will get the HDD tomorrow but if you can please inform WD guys about such malpractices. I think on their part or for that matter any company should have special writing in engraving that shows the product is refurbished so no one goes through all this

The serial number of my HDD is WCATRA625937

Following is the invoice

invoice.jpg

Following is the screenshot of WD page showing warranty

hdd warranty.jpg

Back