Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 35 to 40 Lakh

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 40 to 50 Lakh

• > 50 Lakh

• Total voters
You are true in your assessment where in jobs for same/similar profile would be paid significantly different in different cities and yes, Bangalore, as far as I know is where you could get the highest salary.

Also cost of living is a factor but then so is standard of living and both go hand in hand.

Hyderabad is pretty backwards in this regard, very rarely have i seen people cross 10L package in general, unless its the big guns like Google/Amazon/MS

Cost of living is high, but you should also factor the sense of value associated with with your salary, and more than the money itself, its the sense of worth that is a factor for me. If your package is 10L and someone else's is say 20L, even though hes in a different city, the feeling of being worth so much is difficult to replace, not to mention any job changes would give you an even higher pay and also a sense of importance to the potential hirer.

Jumping from 10L to 25 is not as easy as jumping from 20 to 25, and at that level, perks would be pretty much on par everywhere. If you get underpaid then be prepared to be lowballed like anything unless they absolutely need you, I guess thats why its always good if you can make them make the first offer without disclosing your previous ctc. Why one should disclose their CTC is another matter all together, I mean I wont ask them what they were paying the guy who I'll be replacing right :p

I'd be really disappointed if I would make just 15 in 10 years, I guess 50 is what engineers at companies like FK make. Anyways, salary is not everything, at least right now, when most of us here are just starting off.

@booo that's just wrong..

Ah well, bankers, specially private bankers make more.I always thought IT guys make more. I had quit with 6 yrs work ex before I started my own business and I was make more 4 yrs back then what you guys are quoting for 10 yrs experience.
But I had a lot of clients from Bangalore from IT Sector with 6-10 yrs work ex and making a lot lot more.

I guess qualifications play a big role

I'd be really disappointed if I would make just 15 in 10 years, I guess 50 is what engineers at companies like FK make. Anyways, salary is not everything, at least right now, when most of us here are just starting off.
@booo that's just wrong..
Thats the way it is. most of the hr calculate like that. worse, MNCs like wipro etc... pay much less.

Having worked with Indian companies, established as well as start ups, I would say it ranges between 15-25 lacs, based on previous pay +20-40%, further different roles have different variable or incentive structures as well.

I can cite a few people with 6 years experience at 20+ and several people with 8 years experience at 20+ or better. Highest I have seen in an Indian co. at 10 years experience is 54.0

All figures are for individuals with Engineering only, and no MBA.

Bankers: Assistant Manager I level at most private banks is in the 3-5 Lacs range, and AM II are at 5-7 Lacs, Standard MBA only.

I think we also need to say what skill sets we have so that we know from where it all flows the best[DOUBLEPOST=1407769470][/DOUBLEPOST]I think we also need to say what skill sets we have so that we know from where it all flows the best

^^ And what about savings ...?? :rolleyes:
Saving for a rainy day is also very important. especially when you are working in the private sector.

Well, I myself thought the same way you did. Didn't bother too much about salary as long as I was getting enough to cover my plans of expenses and savings and as long as I am not being taken advantage of and the stuff that I worked on is interesting and challenging to me.

Never was too greedy about getting more money. That's the reason why I have only changed Jobs only once and that too was also due to some personal reasons rather than just for better salary and also one of the reasons why I was not so interested in moving to US even though I got the opportunity early on in my career. Most of my class mates and friends who were more ambitious have either job hopped at least 4 or more times or have moved to US during the same time.

I now have a 46 Lac home loan though and the dynamics change. As my flat is under construction, I can't avail any tax exemptions. Have to be earn enough to comfortably pay the EMI and taxes and still save enough for a rainy day which I can do comfortably enough with my salary

Also, being single helps a lot in my present situation. :p I have seen married folk who can't save decently even though both of them earn well.

^^ And what about savings ...?? :rolleyes:
well, isnt paying home loan itself saving? IMO "saving for a rainy day" is a slippery slope.

!dude! wakeup... enjoy life *today* don't wait till you get retired. Seriously, when you are single, why did you commit to a 50L home? I was thinking that I made a big mistake by giving in to my parents' wish for a house. Today, I am not living in it, my parents dont want to live in it. just paying emis and getting some rent.

well, isnt paying home loan itself saving? IMO "saving for a rainy day" is a slippery slope.

!dude! wakeup... enjoy life *today* don't wait till you get retired. Seriously, when you are single, why did you commit to a 50L home? I was thinking that I made a big mistake by giving in to my parents' wish for a house. Today, I am not living in it, my parents dont want to live in it. just paying emis and getting some rent.

LOL... I am not waiting for my retirement to enjoy whatever I want to do. I have no expensive habits nor interested in going out to party or watch movies and the like. Most of the interests centre around technology, gadgets and computing. I do budget and spend for those interests which is why I have a PC that that costs over 2 Lac and using a smartphone that costs 40k.

Rainy day does not mean that its for the time when you become old or something. Its for the time that you need money and it can be any time in your life time. Its for the day when you may lose your job to a cost cutting exercise at your work place, or when you or your loved ones got sick or things like that. Planning for such rainy days is something you involuntarily pick up when you experience something like your dad passing away before you have even graduated from high school and your Mom is not a working woman and the only means of getting by with your education is what your dad saved for a rainy day. In my case, that is the experience that I had.

Just to give another example, A colleague at my former company had very little savings since he married a bit early (at 26 years). When his Mom got sick, the amount he had saved which was around 12 Lac odd got spent in a jiffy at the hospital over two surgeries and other medical expenses. Only a small part of it was covered though insurance. His Mom passed away a little while later. He had so much worry and tension due to his situation that he and wife as well ended up with all sorts of ailments and he was only 33 years at the time.

You all earn well..! (13 years of experience, hardly in the range(s); being quoted here...! LOL.

:)

Should have changed jobs more often. Only changed one job. Wonder why....!

You all earn well..! (13 years of experience, hardly in the range(s); being quoted here...! LOL.
:)
Should have changed jobs more often. Only changed one job. Wonder why....!
Love your work, dont love your company :p

Some people change jobs regularly in order to get better pay, but I think that is also a bad thing. There are at least 4 colleagues who were in the 7 ~10 year experience range and were refused interview opportunities and job offers at some decent companies because they have changed jobs more than 3 times in their career.

People loyal to companies are also bound to get a rude awakening one day or the other and I have seen one too many cases of that. Being with a company for more than 10 years because you are loyal to it does not guarantee the company won't fire you and they will do so in a jiffy if required. More often than not, its such people that get targeted when a clean up activity happens. Having a two digit years of experience at same company does not mean that you are and will remain valuable to the company and even if you are loyal, the company will not be loyal enough to keep you just because you are loyal. You still have to be valuable.

At the same time, staying at same company for long time does not necessarily mean that you are staying because you are loyal to it.

My motto is also loyalty to work than to company. Still my entire career was spent in just two companies and I have also only changed jobs once and that time was also because of certain personal reasons which required me to move to hyderabad. Not changing companies does not directly imply that you are loyal to the company. You can stay at a company because you like the work you are doing there there without being loyal to the company itself.

Similarly being loyal to work does not mean spending 12 or 14 hours each day doing it. Loyalty to work for me means being passionate and responsible about the work and caring about the kind of experience that I am giving to the end user.

In my 10 years of experience, rarely have I put more than the stipulated 9 hours per day and still as far as compensation goes, I started my career at an measly 2.5LPA and it still increased 13 fold without changing jobs more than once and yeah, I didn't get any drastic jump when I changed either.

Back