Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 35 to 40 Lakh

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 40 to 50 Lakh

• > 50 Lakh

• Total voters
I worked in a IT co which was pretty open and transparent till the recent past. Right now I'm in another indian biggie, which is more known for its politics, and often compared to a govt institution. Thankfully I'm high up enough here and have a good enough network that the politics and the wheels within the wheels now work for me, so I can't complain ;)
I'll go with @blkrb0t on this one - TCS for sure.

I think many of us understand that not all managers are bad and given the average quality of hirees in a service based organisation, no manager would mean a "Lord of Flies" happening at the company soon. My last manager was a pretty awesome guy (even though he had a tendency to droll for hours) - always around, always helpful, I have been open with him more than with my colleagues, and was pretty involved and backed us in every thing we did (even though he couldn't fathom what we talk technically).
Unfortunately, he was promoted and a new guy was brought in (from a service based company ;) ) - the new guy involvement in most of the tasks is assignment, asking "when it is getting completed" and setting up meetings when we need him to step up (he never backs us in any cross team discussions, just acts as a mute spectator while we try to reason with other team's managers).

My last manager used to get pissed with his guy and threatened to fire him twice. With time he realised the helpless ness of the situation of being able to remove a "manager" and started trying to justify this guy actions. In time, his credo too has fallen within the team which went from 0% attrition to 30% with not even a year with this new guy.

I have worked with 2 captive managers - they are the worst kind. Captives by their structure have pretty routine and easy going jobs. People who want to do more move out, and the remaining cream of the crop (who really can't move any where) become managers. No brains but like to talk big.

Service based managers come in both varieties - some of them want demi god - you "have to" respect them and then there are guys who are really helpful too.

Back