Sale on .org/.info domains

Godaddy and Valueweb are great services despite what a small % of people say about them.... we've had a lengthy debate on this topic before and outcome was that there are a few 1000 people unhappy with Godaddy (out of millions of subscribers :)). Every service has unhappy customers, the ratio always determines a company's success and Godaddy has been successful to a very large extent.

And Renegade is right, net4domains scuk big time... this is not even debatable lol.

^^

you'll find this small % in big numbers in many hosting forums :p. Godaddy is excellent for people with small use. they are great at overselling. so as long as you"re not making full use of what they give, you'll be happy. i'm pissed off at them mostly coz of hosting reason. i HAD a domain with them, which i moved out within two months.

arya said:
^^

you'll find this small % in big numbers in many hosting forums :p. Godaddy is excellent for people with small use.

Oh you are referring to the laws of marketing and customer satisfaction. A satisfied customer would tell no one or maybe just one. But an unsatisfied customer will tell everyone who brings up the topic (and many others too).

The only prob I have with godaddy is....

^^^Yes, compare that to some 50 million users.... it's a 0.0002% customer dissatisfaction rate ;) That is LOW for an online service.

Anyway, I'd be curious to know why you switched... how did they fail you, did they commit to something and not deliver or were they missing a feature? If it's the latter, you can't really complain other than replace them with a service that has features you need - that's kinda simple :) However, if they published or marketed a feature or solution that they don't provide, then I'd understand why you're upset :)

Renegade said:
Oh you are referring to the laws of marketing and customer satisfaction. A satisfied customer would tell no one or maybe just one. But an unsatisfied customer will tell everyone who brings up the topic (and many others too).

The only prob I have with godaddy is....

domains dont mean much hassles. Its one time serivce and with a good cp you dont even need to monitor it. look out for hosting review for them, you'd know what am talking about. they sell you 15 gigs of space at super cheap price, but wont like the idea of you using it to the max. they say its putting pressure on server. how the hell files put pressure on server :S

i know that godaddy has a whole big lot of satisfied customers coz most people just buy domains. some who buy hosting never use it. rather than prices, features or products i usually look for good support. i like getting a response asap, doesnt matter if i have to pay for it.

three of my clients had to pay 150$ for sql server db backup. i had to wait 72 hours for a domain nameserver change, coz of that i lost a big client. they look good as long as you're using for small stuff. you grow bigger and they'll make sure you stay away from them. same goes with 1&1

No US-based company will backup your data or provide special services for free - $150 for data backup is an awesome price lol. Maybe Indian providers will do it for free but that's because we under value our services a lot - for these big companies, time = money... simple. For that reason alone, nothing comes cheap or free :)

you are mixing domains with hosting.

they sell you 15 gigs of space at super cheap price, but wont like the idea of you using it to the max. they say its putting pressure on server. how the hell files put pressure on server
Depends on what you are running.

RiO said:
No US-based company will backup your data or provide special services for free - $150 for data backup is an awesome price lol. Maybe Indian providers will do it for free but that's because we under value our services a lot - for these big companies, time = money... simple. For that reason alone, nothing comes cheap or free :)

anything around 20-25 is good. most providers have something inbuilt for that purpose. 150 is just too much. no one charges so much to non enterprise users

@renegade : read in earlier post. i got my domain moved out as soon as possible. pissed off with their overall service. space was used to store game videos.links were not out in open and we used that for storing files. i took my own dedicated server after that episode. no more dealing with go daddy :)

Thanks to Darthcoder for pointing me to this topic !

Regarding domain registration prices, please be aware that the Registry charges a basic minimum fee from the registrar/reseller per domain. For the .com/.net TLD, it is US $5.75 - So in case you find an offer (unless the Registry is having a promotional offer, which is rare for .com/.net TLD) from a registrar/reseller that is less than US$ 5.75 per year, there must be something hidden behind it. Most probably they will makeup for the loss by charging a higer renewal price (and might even lock the domain so that you cannot transfer it elsewhere) or maybe they will force you to take up a web hosting plan from them. The same applies for other TLDs as well, for .in it is around Rs.500 set by the .in registry.

Regarding the Godaddy discussion, they do have a very large customer base. When there is a large customer base, support for everyone will get difficult for them to provide and *everyone* may not be satisfied in the end. However, due to their large customer base, loosing a few unsatisfied customers won't dent their business and they would just move on. It is the same with any service provider and with competition hotting up and prices going down, acquiring more customers is their main motive rather than maintaining an existing customer. That doesn't mean they won't support their existing customers, but one might feel they are more interested in marketting, rather than after-sales service. As Arya pointed out earlier, domain registration stuff doesn't require much after sales support (unlike web hosting), and Godaddy just did some good marketting and that is the reason why they are one of the leading domain registrars in the industry now. So bottom line is that, you cannot say Godaddy is bad just because a small percentage of their customer base is not happy, it just happens when you have such a large customer base.

But for web hosting, the story is different. Godaddy oversells a lot and wherever there is overselling, it eventually breaks apart after the initial joy ride. Site5.com which is a very renowned web hosting company is going through a "break down" phase now, thanks to their overselling. When overselling happens in a shared web hosting environment, support and server performance will take a hit since there are too many clients trying to grab a share of the pie ! There is always an "uncertainty" feeling if you opt for web host that does overselling, so Godaddy may not be the best choice for hosting your *mission critical* websites.

Back to the topic... Most Indian registrars will be having the offer for .org/.info till the year end (December 31st, 2006) and is applicable for the 1st year of registration. Normal renewal prices will be applicable from the second year onwards. There is also a promotional offer running for .biz/.us TLD till December 31, 2006.

Small update

Godaddy is also offering a sale on .info domain. Purchased one .info domain yesterday for 2.24 dollars ie 100 rupees :D

Back