Samsug Galaxy Tab launching on Nov 10

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
agantuk said:
Ridiculously priced. But then we are used to such pricing in this country.
What price are you comparing it to, to claim that its ridiculously priced? Given the additional duties in India, it seems to be priced on par with the rest of the world

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
agantuk said:
In the US, this is being launched by Verizon Wireless, at a 'high' rate of $599 without a contract. Conversion brings that amount to 27 K INR. It isn't like Samsung is importing these pieces from the US to incur those heavy duties. Best Buy is to retail this at $499.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab headed to Best Buy: $499 and up, Sprint, Verizon, silver/black, WiFi-only, WiFi + 3G
Samsung doesn't need to import from the US. Duties are applicable to imports from any country unless India has a special trade relationship with them (afaik).
From what I understand, the usual going rate on duty ranges from 20-35%.

I think we are still a few years away from having comparable prices, to that available internationally, in India.. You also have to keep in mind that a tablet is much more of a niche product than a smartphone or notebook computer (sucky as it might seem, thats the truth).

stormer

Disciple
Oct 7, 2006
agantuk said:
In the US, this is being launched by Verizon Wireless, at a 'high' rate of $599 without a contract. Conversion brings that amount to 27 K INR. It isn't like Samsung is importing these pieces from the US to incur those heavy duties. Best Buy is to retail this at $499.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab headed to Best Buy: $499 and up, Sprint, Verizon, silver/black, WiFi-only, WiFi + 3G
1. US Galaxy Tab do not have voice capabilities (Indian version has).

2. They all are carrier locked (Indian version is not. You can use any service).

3. The one in best buy is a WiFi only model (Indian version is WiFi + 3G).

Besides, think of the following points.

4. Only samsung launches products in India on par with the rest of the world (I am talking timing here).

5. Galaxy Tab will have India specific applications like the Reader app will 55 Indian newspapers in English and vernacular languages.

6. It also has the local maps with MapMyIndia subscription.

7. Samsung has also promised more other India specific apps from its app store soon.

Looking all this, the prise of 38k looks justifiable. Also, you can expect the street price to be around 2 to 3k cheaper.

khanvis2009

Disciple
Mar 11, 2010
galaxy tab not worth it .. cause i think its 16gb internal memory + expandable via micro sd card upto 32gb .

now a 32gb micro sd card costs 6000+ so that takes this tablet price to 44k . in the end u get a 48gb tablet .

compare it to ipad where u get 64gb 3g more reliable flash disk based storage at 44-45 . sure ipad has many disadvantages but this comparison is only based on pricce .

the only advantages of the galaxy would be its ability to make calls , the size is good enough, i like it more than the ipad size + camera + india warranty . but still not worth 38 .

if this was priced at 30k it would be the best tablet .. but its a very good product by samsung just not worth 38k

stormer

Disciple
Oct 7, 2006
You get what you pay for. Unfortunately in our country due to heavy taxation and duties all the good gadgets end up looking highly priced. But this is something we have to live with. Besides, as the US Galaxy Tab doesn't have voice capabilities, you have to either buy it at Home or any other European country where it is priced equally high :(

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
Crappy price for the hardware. Even some dual core Tegra 2 based Froyo tablets are cheaper than this. A price closer to Galaxy S would have been more appropriate considering the main difference between the two is 4" 800 x 480 S-AMOLED vs 7" 1024 x 600 TFT.

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
^^ You can tell that just by reading the specs. :p

Personally I think what the premium boils down to is the additional effort they put into customizing certain apps for the tablet format.

rahul21

Disciple
May 20, 2009
galaxy tab and galaxy S share many thing comman just that tab screen is bigger so expect price normalization to 27 k .

vb86

Adept
May 20, 2008
The MRP for the Galaxy S is 32k. The MRP for the Galaxy Tab is 38k. The difference in the MRP is 6k and the main difference between the 2 products is the screen, hence overall size. Let's see how much the Tab retails for after 2 months..