Monitors Samsung 2233SW LCD - 1:1 mapping ?

ashwin_siva

Disciple
1) Can someone please tell me if the Samsung 2233sw supports 1:1 pixel mapping to display gaming consoles in the original aspect ratio?

2) I am planning to buy a Samsung 2233SW LCD monitor to do double duty for my PC as well as Wii. I am planning to connect the Wii to the LCD monitor through a VGA Box. Or should I buy an LCD TV that accepts 480p/480i through component input?

Also I am not sure how Samsung LCDs behave with the Wii. Any suggestions, inputs, experiences on LCD selection, VGA boxes or compatibility are more than welcome!

Cheers :)
Ashwin

IT DOES support 4:3 resollutions.
In fact that was the reason I bought it last week for a friend.
He has ATI 4670 card.

So when he wants to play Crysis at, say, 1024*768 or 800*600, the picture appears in 4:3 format at the center of the monior.
It does not get stretched to whole 16:9 ie 22".

The feature is called 'Image Size' by Samsung

@ashish: Thanks!

So, this 'Imagine Size' feature will resize the images resulting in black bars on the sides?

And presumably can be accessed through the monitor menu?

If it can, you will have done me a solid favor.

Btw ashish, you mentioned buying your friend a 2233sw. How does the monitor fare on non-native resolutions? I might have to do this since I have an old Nvidia Fx5200 GPU.

And what about viewing angles, since I am bound to move around while playing Wii. The samsung India website says 170/160 viewing angles. However, the same 2233sw model on amazon shows 160/160 as the viewing angle. These deceptive tactics are what really bugs me.

Anyways, thanks again for your help!

ashwin_siva said:

Btw ashish, you mentioned buying your friend a 2233sw. How does the monitor fare on non-native resolutions? I might have to do this since I have an old Nvidia Fx5200 GPU.

This thread may have an answer for you.

I would like to throw in one more question for the 2233sw owners. Will the 1:1 mapped 1024X768 game look smaller than it looks on a 17" CRT monitor due to the dense pixels on 2233sw?

ashwin_siva said:

So, this 'Imagine Size' feature will resize the images resulting in black bars on the sides?

And presumably can be accessed through the monitor menu?

If it can, you will have done me a solid favor.

And what about viewing angles, since I am bound to move around while playing Wii. The samsung India website says 170/160 viewing angles. However, the same 2233sw model on amazon shows 160/160 as the viewing angle. These deceptive tactics are what really bugs me.

Anyways, thanks again for your help!

As for the black bars and stuff, nothing like that happens in 2233SW.:cool2:

I have been using the monitor since the first time it came in Bangalore. :p I have played games at 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050 and full HD 1920x1080. As on a 17" LDC, if u play games at 800x600, how the picture looks like, same way it does in this monitor. Crap. U buy any LCD monitor, except the native resolution, all other are okish but not as good as native.

And there are no black bars anywhere. It would have been the corrupt drivers or something but nothing like this exists in 2233SW.

Viewing angles are something u need not worry if u are gonna sit and move left and right or move ur head u and down. It has pretty much good viewing angles as TN panels. If u wanna jump, dance and sing and play, then u should get a IPS panel for 16k.:bleh: Else this is more than sufficient.

As for the card u are gonna run it at, it utter crap. And i don't understand - U are buying a 22" Full HD and u can't spend a little to upgrade the card???

U can't even enjoy the monitor to watch HD movies, which is primarily its best part...

My suggestion, go for the Samsung have peace of mind with after sales service and upgrade ur card atleast to a 9400 before thinking of the monitor. :)

@ ashwin
the picture looks (very) good even at lower resolutions, if you use Image size feature.
I have played GTA3 at 1024*768 using Image Size for few hours with two thick black areas on each side of the picture.

When you use a non native resolution (lower), mostly u are actually activating only those pixels out of whole 22". So it does looks good.

Check the attached JPG file. Hope it gives an idea.

Read read read, he wants 1 : 1 pixel mapping for console gaming. U have 4850 (fill screen mode) and talking abt windows. You sure he wont see black borders w/ 720p console gaming etc ? :S

clown_abhi said:
As for the black bars and stuff, nothing like that happens in 2233SW.

While I appreciate your intent to help abhi the clown, I have to say that HD is merely a marketing gimmick at best for puny desktop monitors. 1920x1080 is a little more of closely packed pixels. HD is not a magic wand that weaves magic on your display, its basically GIGO=garbage in, garbage out.

There is gonna be no or very little noticeable difference when you display HD movies on a small 22" HD display compared to a 22" non-HD display. :tongue: If I want a "real" HD experience, I'd have to buy something bigger in the size of 42" and this is not the time for that.

I don't need a fancy graphics card as of now, since I am gonna play games only on the Wii. I am also gonna be playing mostly DvDrips for movies. Moreover, it does not any make sense upgrading my GPU on a prehistoric single-core AMD athlon @1.67GHz with 512 MB of RAM. :p I have to upgrade my whole system and I am not gonna do that now, since I got a new laptop recently.

Wow Abhi, you are THE MAN and you're indeed a geek. :hap2:

Thank you so much for the pictures. You made my day. :eek:hyeah:

Also, one more small favor, if I may I ask. Does the text appear too small at 1920x1080 resolution on the 21.5" screen of 2233sw?

I just wanna sort out all my concerns before I take the plunge!

baccilus said:
Will the 1:1 mapped 1024X768 game look smaller than it looks on a 17" CRT monitor due to the dense pixels on 2233sw?

Theoretically, yes!

Total pixels for 1920X1080 = 2073600 pixels

Total pixels for 1024X768 = 786432 pixels

Theoretically, 1024X768 resolution will occupy only 37.9% of the 2233sw screen if 1:1 pixel mapping is done, which would most probably be smaller than the display of a 17" CRT.

However, all this is just theoretical speculation. I might very well be wrong on this one!

Guys, another question for Samsung 2233sw users. This is what happens when I do too much of Internet research. I read about overheating issues pertaining to the 2233 on another thread here.

I am gonna use my monitor 24x7 all day, everyday. So, do let me know if I should buy this or get a Dell S2209W?

I was also looking at the the Dell 2209WA (IPS panel) but it is now 20k from dell and other shops. Techshop said that I need to wait for 4-5 weeks and that too the price is 16.5k. Not sure if all that fuss is worth the few degrees of better viewing angle that it offers.

So any overheating issues with samsung 2233sw I should know about? I just don't want to shell out 10k and bang my head against the wall.

SidhuPunjab said:
Read read read, he wants 1 : 1 pixel mapping for console gaming. U have 4850 (fill screen mode) and talking abt windows. You sure he wont see black borders w/ 720p console gaming etc ? :S

I have never used a console with this monitor so no idea mate regarding black borders. :p For ma PC gaming, this rocks at any resolution...:eek:hyeah:

BTW, what is fill screen mode, coz i ain't using anything like that...:huh:

SidhuPunjab said:
No support AFAIK, for console go w/ BenQ E2200HD, has HDMi and 1 : 1 pixel mapping. For 'PC gaming', U can force 1 : 1 in nvidia/ATi control panel.
When did it support 1:1. The last time I checked, I decided not to get it because of its one CON, lack of 1:1 mapping.

Didnt want to hijack the thread but didnt want to start a new one either, since I just wanted to add few things.

I have pretty much no inclination to go 16:9 aspect ratio on my desktop. Sure, for movies and probably games, its good. But then a computer is used for much more and movies/games are the least that I do.

Many people are worried on the current trend of manufacturers going 16:9 and not focusing on other aspect ratios at all. Most flagship products now feature 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200 which was there 1-2 years ago. Many professionals; sound, video, photo, etc, dont like that. In fact, 4:3 is a really good ratio for a lot of productivity work.

@ashwin_siva
Can you give me a clue on what the 1920x1200 resolution display market is like? Say the 24" models?

What the most affordable option for going 16:10 @ 1920x1200?

I have dropped the idea of buying Samsung 2233sw for 4 reasons:

1) looking for a 16:10 monitor for better desktop real estate; at the end of the day, the computer is more than just an entertainment center for me.

2) 1920X1080 on a 21.5" panel is gonna make the text look awfully small. My eyes can't handle that.

3) Eyeing the dell 22009wa IPS panel. Can someone suggest a way of getting for less than 15k (just shooting in the dark).

4) I wouldn't be needing 1:1 mapping for connecting wii since I am going to get a component to VGA box that can do all the scaling and output to whatever resolution I want.

@bikalpapaudel: About 24" displays with 1920 x 1200, I can't really think of anything other than the Dell 2408WFP. If you don't really need one right now, I'd suggest you wait and watch to see if new LCDs sporting 23"-24" eIPS panels come out.

Back