Samsung Captivate aka Galaxy S at 21K !

They will value it to inr20000

their list of items in current shipment contained 5 phones.. all were within 240-300 range and all were corrected to inr20000 by customs.

im assuming all were SGS :lol:

archat68 said:
Actually I think Customs got suspicious seeing too many phones getting imported. They has the right to assess the value of the imported items at the current market price. The current Indian market price of Galaxy S is something near 500$ - so......... :(
Umm, could be, but the phone box has "Samsung Vibrant" mentioned boldly. Imo, custom officials (Babus) wont be so technologically updated to know that it is the same phone as the Galaxy S sold here, or that it should be valued at the same rate as the SGS sold here. But I could be underestimating their knowledge. :p

they valued even atrix at inr20000

lame sellers... did not ship on time :mad:

phones that arrived on 7th were charged at 1.3%

this one and the next atrix were bought long before that..
goddamnit :mad:

Guys any idea what happens if I order a phone without the original box? Is that a safe thing to do.

Also, how do customs dept. assess the value of the phone if there is no invoice attached to it. From what I read above, they seem to be looking at the price of a new item.

Deepak said:
Guys any idea what happens if I order a phone without the original box? Is that a safe thing to do.

Also, how do customs dept. assess the value of the phone if there is no invoice attached to it. From what I read above, they seem to be looking at the price of a new item.
You are not supposed to import used or refurbished one.

I know that used phones should not be imported. But haven't a lot of folks at TE imported used phones. What happens then?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW, then it means that a phone without the original box is out of the question.

one of the sgs i imported came in normal box but the guy had used sealed air inflatable packaging around the phone and all accessories..it was like living in a bubble without any gravity within the bubble :p

they dont care as long as you do not label them refrurb. (some idiots may send the refurb labeled both they received from manufacturer.)

But the possibility of this happening is very low..As the idea is to sell the lost one and use the refurb one for them.

archat68 said:
^^You start importing too much Atrix and they will soon start to value it correctly :) .
custom duty is supposed to settle down and no more imports until then.

Let me be the only owner of Atrix 4G here for a while :bleh:

archat68 said:
Usually nothing. I've imported a lot of used stuffs - nothing happened so far.
Oh ok.. any idea how customs dept will assess the value of the phone since there is no invoice attached to it.

Also, did you import some phone without the original box?

mine was shipped on 22 Feb..received on 24 Feb in US address. But I received it on 7th Mar as there was delay at both aramex end and couple of days on my side as I well. But luckily I was not charged any customs duty :D It was a LIKE NEW Captivate with 8GB mSDHC card and car charger. Total was 17065 including shipping.

askids said:
mine was shipped on 22 Feb..received on 24 Feb in US address. But I received it on 7th Mar as there was delay at both aramex end and couple of days on my side as I well. But luckily I was not charged any customs duty :D It was a LIKE NEW Captivate with 8GB mSDHC card and car charger. Total was 17065 including shipping.
how much did you play including shipping?

For all of your information:

New rate of custom duty is applicable w.e.f 1.3.2011 (verified from Customs appraiser).

Just today I was charged 1200 Rs. as Customs duty for Vibrant :( .

archat68 said:
For all of your information:

New rate of custom duty is applicable w.e.f 1.3.2011 (verified from Customs appraiser).

Just today I was charged 1200 Rs. as Customs duty for Vibrant :( .

It was only for custom duty or for custom duty and shipment both ?

Back