Samsung Captivate aka Galaxy S at 21K !

Finally I was unable to SIM unlock. All the tools and apps failed to unlock. Then I tried reverting back to stock, but that was also not successful. Then finally reverted to stock JF2 using odin and manually selecting pit and firmware files. Then again all tools and apps failed to unlock phone.

Then I tried the manual edit of nv_data.bin file as given in xda forum. There also adb shell was not getting su permission though the phone was rooted.

As a final step installed a terminal emulator on phone and then took the nv_data.bin, edited it with hex editor and then put it back to phone and set the permission using term as given in Instructions. The phone was unlocked at next reboot.

Installed Serendipity ROM, yet to evaluate it. BTW, at first glance I liked the AXURA ROM the phone came with, would have stayed with it for some time if I hadn't faced unlocking problems.

Edit: Found that this may be the reason for my problems in unlocking: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8472272&postcount=30

Had a talk with Anuradha regarding custom duty.Custom duty on phone is calculated on Custom Accessed Value while custom duty on other electronic good are calculated using invoice value.

This is how Custom Accesses value of a phone.

Say a phone costs 9000 bucks and its shipped price is 10k.

CAV=Shipped Price + 21% of shipped price

In our example 10k + 2.1k=12.1k(This is CAV)

Now they add duty on this value so

Custom Duty Becomes=12.1k X 5%=618 bucks

One would have to pay 618 bucks for a phone costing 10k shipped.

d@rK nEmEsIs said:
Had a talk with Anuradha regarding custom duty.Custom duty on phone is calculated on Custom Accessed Value while custom duty on other electronic good are calculated using invoice value.

This is how Custom Accesses value of a phone.

Say a phone costs 9000 bucks and its shipped price is 10k.

CAV=Shipped Price + 21% of shipped price

In our example 10k + 2.1k=12.1k(This is CAV)

Now they add duty on this value so

Custom Duty Becomes=12.1k X 5%=618 bucks

One would have to pay 618 bucks for a phone costing 10k shipped.
I really doubt if that is this the case. AFAIK The basic Custom duty (BCD) on Cellphone is nil.

For any item that comes from abroad 1% of its shipped price is it's landing cost and is added to it's assessable value. Some times the officer valuing the item may take CVD (countervailing duty) if he think this item is meant for sale.

So for cellphone assessable value = Shipped cost plus 1%. Duty = BCD (Nil) + CVD (4 or 5%, some times nil if officer is convinced that it is for personal use) plus Education cess of 3% on the Duty amount.

bigbyte said:
Finally I was unable to SIM unlock. All the tools and apps failed to unlock. Then I tried reverting back to stock, but that was also not successful. Then finally reverted to stock JF2 using odin and manually selecting pit and firmware files. Then again all tools and apps failed to unlock phone.

Then I tried the manual edit of nv_data.bin file as given in xda forum. There also adb shell was not getting su permission though the phone was rooted.

As a final step installed a terminal emulator on phone and then took the nv_data.bin, edited it with hex editor and then put it back to phone and set the permission using term as given in Instructions. The phone was unlocked at next reboot.

Installed Serendipity ROM, yet to evaluate it. BTW, at first glance I liked the AXURA ROM the phone came with, would have stayed with it for some time if I hadn't faced unlocking problems.

Edit: Found that this may be the reason for my problems in unlocking: xda-developers - View Single Post - JH7 update removes unlock code
Could you please elaborate a bit more on that terminal emulator? Or maybe a link to where the whole procedure is given? I have the same issue with the used Vibrant. It was upgraded to 2.2 by the seller. No unlocking method is working on it for me. I am going to downgrade it to stock 2.1 rom and try again. If it still doesnt work, I'll be bugging you a bit more. :p

Was able to unlock the Sealed Vibrant (still on eclair). :p

^^ Just flash the phone with stock firmware using ODIN. You will be able to unlock. Go through the following if you want to do it manually:

Step 2. - Retrieve nv_data.bin file

use "adb shell" or a terminal emulator to get a terminal prompt and run the following commands

Code:

su

cat /efs/nv_data.bin >> /sdcard/nv_data.bin

Step 3. - Edit nv_data.bin file

mount the internal SD Card on your computer

make a backup copy of the nv_data.bin file on your computer

using your favorite HEX editor open the nv_data.bin on the sdcard

jump to address 0x181468

you should see a string like this

ff 01 00 00 00 00 46 46

there are 5 different types of locks in 5 different bytes

the FF byte should be left alone

the first byte after the FF is the network lock

the next byte is the network subset lock

the next byte is the sp lock

the next byte is the cp lock

the last byte appears to be a data lock.

the 46 46 should be left alone

Change any 0x01 to 0x00 (or 0x00 to 0x01 to lock for warranty)

save and close file

unmount SD Card

Step 4. - Replace nv_data.bin file

I want to say it again so no one misses it MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR NV_DATA.BIN FILE BEFORE YOU CONTINUE!!!!!

use "adb shell" or a terminal emulator to get a terminal prompt and run the following commands

Code:

su

rm /efs/nv_data.bin

rm /efs/nv_data.bin.md5

cat /sdcard/nv_data.bin >> /efs/nv_data.bin

chmod 755 /efs/nv_data.bin

chown radio.radio /efs/nv_data.bin || chown 1001.1001 /efs/nv_data.bin

reboot

your phone is now unlocked... enjoy

memnom said:
u do know thats only for the phone and charger right? no accessories at all? Try finding something else if u can.
I know, and I also shot en email to seller about it, still awaiting response...

archat68 said:
Not a good deal @280$. There are much better deals at lower price. Price for this one should be around 250$.

Yeah, but all the bids are going upward of 300$ at the end. This particular deal looks tempting to me - see the attached pics - it's in mint condition. Anyway, I have asked couple of questions, but no response yet.

On a side note, how long can I hold this piece, before making the payment?

^^ One important point to remember when dealing with international ebay sites"

If the seller does not answer your queries - run away from that seller - how lucrative the deal may be. And also complete all the query before you place the final bid. If you don't receive the answer before the end time of bid - don't place a bid.

These are some things that I follow.

Hey guys. Will it be a problem to pass the phone through customs if the seller does not have the Original box of the phone. There are a couple of phones on ebay without their original box and just wondering if its safe to order them.

Cheers

BTW: I got the money back for the transaction ebay cancelled. Pity really, it was a really good deal. But all's well when you have the money back :)

I was given this quote when asked about the duty on a $200 device.

"Hello Vidit, the duty is calculated according to the customs assessed value. Ie. 200*46=9200 is the value, now add freight 21.125 % to 9200 , which is 11143 add 1% = 11254, the duty of 1.3 % is calculated on this amount. Hence it will be 146 INT + 100 is the brokerage charges.
Regards
Anuradha
"

The point being, now that I am aware that the duty has changed from 1.3 to 5.x% from March 1, would the above quote given on March 5 still hold?.
IS there a point in arguing about it when they come to collect the money according to the latest changes, or should I just pay according the new duty?

viditkalra said:
I was given this quote when asked about the duty on a $200 device.

"Hello Vidit, the duty is calculated according to the customs assessed value. Ie. 200*46=9200 is the value, now add freight 21.125 % to 9200 , which is 11143 add 1% = 11254, the duty of 1.3 % is calculated on this amount. Hence it will be 146 INT + 100 is the brokerage charges.

Regards

Anuradha
"

The point being, now that I am aware that the duty has changed from 1.3 to 5.x% from March 1, would the above quote given on March 5 still hold?.

IS there a point in arguing about it when they come to collect the money according to the latest changes, or should I just pay according the new duty?

no point arguing as above statement is not an official commitment from either aramex or indian customs department.

^I agree. I argued about the exorbitant custom charges of Rs. 954 on my new Vibrant, but Anuradha asked me to pay whatever charges are mentioned to the delivery boy, and that they will resolve the matter later and reimburse if there is any discrepancy. Anyways, I paid the money, and later on only got a call from Anuradha confirming that the custom charges are correct since the duty has been increased. So, not much can be done about it. :/

Gone are the days of great deals from US. :/

Private Ryan said:
^I agree. I argued about the exorbitant custom charges of Rs. 954 on my new Vibrant, but Anuradha asked me to pay whatever charges are mentioned to the delivery boy, and that they will resolve the matter later and reimburse if there is any discrepancy. Anyways, I paid the money, and later on only got a call from Anuradha confirming that the custom charges are correct since the duty has been increased. So, not much can be done about it. :/

Gone are the days of great deals from US. :/
when did you receive the concerned phone?

The new custom charges are 5.3% and im not sure if they are in affect.

the atrix i received on 7th was charged as per 1.3%

im worried about the next one :S

also i noticed that aramex is being nice enough to undervalue every cell phone to $200

so was done mine on their evaluation. But customs had it listed as inr20000 and was charged with that amount. hope they find a friendly customs officer :p

madnav said:
when did you receive the concerned phone?

The new custom charges are 5.3% and im not sure if they are in affect.

the atrix i received on 7th was charged as per 1.3%

im worried about the next one :S

also i noticed that aramex is being nice enough to undervalue every cell phone to $200

so was done mine on their evaluation. But customs had it listed as inr20000 and was charged with that amount. hope they find a friendly customs officer :p
Mine came on 8th. :s I just spoke to Anuradha again to confirm and she says the new rates are effective from March 1 and not April 1. :( Kya confusion hai,yaar. :dx:

Arreh Maddy please let us know how much they charge you when your next shipment arrives.

Fckin lame.

Vibrant that i had purchased for $265 just arrived.

It was valued by aramex at $500 and customs charged 1440+brokerage.

i mailed anuradha and awaiting response.

will be sending payment receipt from paypal if there is an issue.

madnav said:
Fckin lame.

Vibrant that i had purchased for $265 just arrived.

It was valued by aramex at $500 and customs charged 1440+brokerage.

i mailed anuradha and awaiting response.

will be sending payment receipt from paypal if there is an issue.

:O :O :O *gulp*

Imo, you will get a refund for sure. She had asked me to send the paypal receipt too to confirm the price of the new Vibrant.

But in any case, as per the current calculation, you will have to pay Rs.781~ as customs charges for your phone valued at $265. :no:

Add to that Aramex charges of Rs. 913~ :/

Actually I think Customs got suspicious seeing too many phones getting imported. They has the right to assess the value of the imported items at the current market price. The current Indian market price of Galaxy S is something near 500$ - so......... :(

Back