Samsung Galaxy R - i9103 Thread

rad0

Adept
Hey guys,

I guess there is no dedicated thread for the Tegra 2 powered Galaxy R. The recent price drop has got buyers for it. :bleh:

I am aware that some people have issues with the voice/3.5mm jack and couple other issues. Hope sammy releases some fix or fixes the hardware issues(if any).

So, here goes the thread for SGR.

Recently XDA has started a sub forum for the SGR.

LG O2X users please don't start any bash game here.:p

Peace.

Hail SGR

I just ordered one today from Sulekha @ 18989. If all goes well, I'll be a frequent poster in this thread.
PS: What exactly are the issues I need to be wary of?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also, can anyone recommend a good (but not too expensive) screen protector for the SGR? Since no Gorilla Glass and all.

Also, can anyone recommend a good (but not too expensive) screen protector for the SGR? Since no Gorilla Glass and all.

get a good screen protector to get a good touch screen experience .

I have installed a anti fingerprint protector from scratchgard.

You can try the normal one. Comes around 450-500.

Bought this awesome phone just today eve..

Phone is on the way home..
<

Tried the phone yesterday and was flattered by its Lag free Speed, and Screen..
<

Lets start talking about ROMs and applications in this thread guys..

Nothin yet.. Keeping my fingers crossed right now.. Loving my phone very much... Superb phone from Samsung :)

A quick View:

PROS:

1)Superb Screen with great Sunlight Legibility

2)1GB RAM - Run many apps,widgets and have all 7 screens simultaneoulsy without LAG

3)Great Battery Life- Should last 2 -3 Days at the current drain rate

[All I do is about 200 Texts a Day+ 2-3hrs WiFi + 30min to 1Hr of Calls + 10 Snaps+ background Data and Sync On(With WIfi), other time, they are off. R8 now at 69% after 17hrs,which is just awesome!!!+2G ONLY Mode+GPS off]

4) In call Quality is AWESOME!!

5) Yet to test Music player, as I already have my Sansa Clip+ for this
<

6) Samsung apps offers few games and apps for FREE.

7)Good Pair of Earphones Bundled - Almost equivalent to my Creative EP630, except for the Punchy Bass that it provided.

8)Has USB On the Go Support - Havent tried.

CONS:

1)Very Little DEV Support - ONLY one ROM till date, no CM etc. But will get ICS. Kernel for OC and UV available, so Dont care much

2) Only 5MP cam with 720P rec. - I dont care much about the Cam. Cam quality is good for the size, but images tend to get blurred even on slight movement. 720p rec,yet to test

If it had the 8MP cam sensor of the S2, it would have been an Instant Hit!!

3) Cheap Build Quality. - Using a Capadase Knock-off Case. It is serving me well

4) Screen is not Corning Gorilla Glass!! And it tends to get scratched if not used without screen guard. Fortunately, I noticed it with the Demo Piece, and added a Screen Guard before I even started using the phone

5)Slow ICS update., but not slower then LG!! - I mean Officially

6)I felt the Fonts are a Bit too Big!!- Wouldve been better with an 854x480 or 960x540 px screen. But present one will do fine..

7)No HDMI Connection/connector available. MHL to HDMI wont work - Report from other users!!!

is this phone avaiable in the market.. i heard Samsung have discontinued this devide..

need to buy a phone for my sis.. confused btwm this one and Lumia 800

Its very much available.. If it is going to be discontinued, GRAB IT ASAP!!

It is a great device for 20K

GSMArena.com is Preparing a Review for the phone!!

The Unboxing and Preview of phone is here

is this phone avaiable in the market.. i heard Samsung have discontinued this devide..

need to buy a phone for my sis.. confused btwm this one and Lumia 800

The SGR is only a few months old, and is selling quite well now. There is no way Samsung will discontinue it now. It is available at every major, or even small mobile shops. And between this and the Lumia 800, it depends on your sister's preferences (camera, UI, battery life etc...). Get her to try out both phones. If the Lumia 800 is an instant hit for her, go for it. Else, the SGR is a safe bet.

The SGR is only a few months old, and is selling quite well now. There is no way Samsung will discontinue it now. It is available at every major, or even small mobile shops. And between this and the Lumia 800, it depends on your sister's preferences (camera, UI, battery life etc...). Get her to try out both phones. If the Lumia 800 is an instant hit for her, go for it. Else, the SGR is a safe bet.

thanks buddy..

she got herself Galaxy R

A small update.!!

After 2 Days and 7hrs, it still has 31% of juice left..

I have used it for folllowing in mean while:

Calls- 30-40 min

Camera- 20 CLicks

SMS- about 150

WiFi (With BG Data, and SYNC) - 8Hrs

Angry Birds and other Games - about 1Hr

Bluetooth - 30min.

GPS - 35min

No music at all

Overall I am VERY VERY Satisfied with my phone.. Cam is good, Battery Backup is AWESOME, Phone NEVER lagged!!

It could well last 4-5 days with only calls and SMS

Can anyone comment on your gps performance ? My gps seems to take a lifetime to get a fix indoor.. Never got a fix till date

GSMArena Review is here

I was trying for Indoors as my old phone, Asus m10 could get a Fix anywhere!!

Slightly dissapointed in that area, But that said, I rarely use GPS.. So No problem for me

Back