prime

Skilled
Nov 22, 2008
Check the previous post.

This app was for S2 not S3.

Oh ok. What to see from screenshot?

34etabt.png

I read on XDA:

If you're check displays VTU00M and 0xf1 then you're vulnerable, regardless of what the app says (it is a test for gs2) so using this app should be to check those 2 details, and its results should be ignored. Hope this clarifies things.

Should I be worried?

Onemufc

Skilled
Apr 16, 2011
Oh ok. What to see from screenshot?

34etabt.png
@mk76

For India the newest update to v4.1.2 is not released yet. And there is no timeline. You can check the latest release status per country on this page.

On SDS - Sudden Death Syndrome
How to check a vulnerable chip ?
Use this app EMMC check to see the EMMC and firmware revision. The faulty one known so far is
eMMC - VTU00M
Revision - 0XF1

PS : This app was originally made for Galaxy S2, so do not do anything else; only note down your eMMC details

What can be done to be safe ?
Stock ( Official Samsung )
The following ROMs include a Kernel and recovery with the Update 7 "Fixes" applied. If you have one of these, officially (Unrooted), consider yourself "Safe"

• XXELKC
  • XXELL1
  • XXELL4
  • XXELL5
  • XXELL6
  • XXELLA (Released on Jan 2) Although there is no official confirmation from Samsung on SDS being fixed.
  • XXELLC ( Newer version, Although released only for Spain yet)
  • Appears like all 4.1.2 based i9300 builds will have the fix.

Custom - Update to a safe Kernel and Recovery combination. So far following kernels and recovery are safe (All available on XDA)
Kernel :

Perseus Alpha31+ (i9300 TW)
Boeffla 2.6 Alpha1 (i9300 TW)
Yank555.lu 3.0a (i9300 TW)
Yank555.lu 1.4 (i9300 AOSP)

Recovery :

PhilZ Touch 4.00-b04 (i9300)

Reference : XDA

Last edited by a moderator:

prime

Skilled
Nov 22, 2008
I am already on 4.1.2. Will changing he kernel will be sufficient?

If yes, please provide the link.

In the meantime, I am downloading:

Omega v37
Based on firmware XXELLC Android 4.1.2 (Date: 22/12/2012)
Kernel Stock XXELLC
Modem XXELLA

Does this look good?

2dv7jg6.png

Pat

Skilled
Oct 11, 2007
Mumbai
www.inspeero.com
I am already on 4.1.2. Will changing he kernel will be sufficient?

If yes, please provide the link.

In the meantime, I am downloading:

Omega v37
Based on firmware XXELLC Android 4.1.2 (Date: 22/12/2012)
Kernel Stock XXELLC
Modem XXELLA

Does this look good?

Apart from the ROM, you will have to install Philz touch recovery to be on a safer side. A sticky in i9300 General Section on XDA explains everything you need to know.

anilthomas

Recruit
May 19, 2012
Just see your eMMC chip number from the App and don't do anything else in it since it is not compatible with SIII.

I have read somewhere in XDA that this app should be used only to check the eMMC details and dont anything else. By mistake, I ran the 'Check Memory' test in the app. It took around 450 seconds and I got the message that Test is successful. Will there be any problem? :( ?.

prime

Skilled
Nov 22, 2008
Apart from the ROM, you will have to install Philz touch recovery to be on a safer side. A sticky in i9300 General Section on XDA explains everything you need to know.

Installed:

1. Omega v37,
Based on firmware XXELLC Android 4.1.2 (Date: 22/12/2012),
Kernel Stock XXELLC
Modem XXELLA

2. PhilZ Touch 4.00-b04 recovery.

Hope I am safe now. :)

mk76

Adept
Dec 4, 2008
I have read somewhere in XDA that this app should be used only to check the eMMC details and dont anything else. By mistake, I ran the 'Check Memory' test in the app. It took around 450 seconds and I got the message that Test is successful. Will there be any problem? :( ?.

Hmm.. Can't say. Hope you did not reboot. If you reboot and and still find it ok, nothing to worry.
But if you haven't reboot since you ran the test, take backup of your stuff to be on safer side. Also if you are rooted and into custom roms, download Ktool from Google play and do backup your EFS.

- - - Updated - - -

Installed:

1. Omega v37,
Based on firmware XXELLC Android 4.1.2 (Date: 22/12/2012),
Kernel Stock XXELLC
Modem XXELLA

2. PhilZ Touch 4.00-b04 recovery.

Hope I am safe now. :)

From what the experts have found so far... yes you should consider yourself safe.

Pat

Skilled
Oct 11, 2007
Mumbai
www.inspeero.com
Thanks.

Should I consider changing modem to some Indian modem?

No. You should not be ideally messing around with modem firmware unless you are having reception issues on your phone. Modem firmware has nothing to do with this SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome) issue on SIII.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there should be any issue since the App would typically not be able to modify anything on SIII. However, as someone mentioned, take a back-up to be on a safer side.

prime

Skilled
Nov 22, 2008
No. You should not be ideally messing around with modem firmware unless you are having reception issues on your phone. Modem firmware has nothing to do with this SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome) issue on SIII.

I know modem has nothing to with SDS. I asked to change it for better reception. :)

Anyways, I am not facing any problem, so no point changing it.

mk76

Adept
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks.

Should I consider changing modem to some Indian modem?

As someone mentioned don't change the modem unless there are reception issues.

It all depends on your location, network signal strength and coverage in your area etc. Alternatively you can try other modems to see if there exists one even better .
However do read before you proceed.
1) Ideally a modem should have a matching RIL (Radio Interface Layer).
2) A good modem and matching RIL impacts the reception and may improve battery life.
3) You can use GetRIL to match modem and RIL
4) BUT DO BACKUP YOUR EFS . This is a must as there is a risk involved. There have been scenarios when the EFS has been corrupted in this process.
5) If EFS gets corrupted, you will loose your IMEI and thus left with non-communicable device. Will be required to be sent to service center.
6) So proceed with caution.

Dec 17, 2010
Kolkata
I am on baseband XXELLA the newest one. So should i also install omega? And i checked on emmc its the same as you guys that means its vulnerable. Im on stock never installed any roms. So is my s3 safe? :(

mk76

Adept
Dec 4, 2008
I am on baseband XXELLA the newest one. So should i also install omega? And i checked on emmc its the same as you guys that means its vulnerable. Im on stock never installed any roms. So is my s3 safe? :(

XXELLA is considered safe. However as mentioned earlier, there is no official statement from Samsung on SDS yet.

rajshah

Skilled
Jun 15, 2006
Mumbai
S3 died on Sunday night. I was checking calendar dates. Kept it aside for a while.
Picked it up 10 minutes later. Dead.
Given at Dadar Service Centre yesterday.

mk76

Adept
Dec 4, 2008
Ouch!

Looks like sudden death. Do you remember putting it on overnight charge ever?

Was it stock or custom?

mk76

Adept
Dec 4, 2008
Yup.

What can I do ?

XXDLK1 is 4.1.1 released in November 2012. And there is no release date yet known for 4.1.2 Indian build.

So besides waiting, the route will be non-official. You can either flash a safe stock rom or a custom rom or simply root + flash safe Kernel + recovery.

anilthomas

Recruit
May 19, 2012
So many updates rolling out but no signs for India yet. Not to sound critic but even Pakistan and Afghanistan got their update almost a week ago. We are a big market, wonder why the fact is ignored. :annoyed:

But no worries now. I am Sotmax, rooted with some mods for productivity; good battery life. And the best part - everything is Official. So if (God forbid) anything happens, there should be no issue of warranty.

Afraid of the SDS issue,I have unrooted my phone and is now running the latest stock firmware. Now I would like to go back to the stock firmware.What is holding me back is the SDS issue.If I am using a custom ROM/Recovery and If I reset the counter and status using TA method, will I be able to claim warranty? coz even after I reset the counter and status using TA method, I will be able to enter the custom recovery. So If my S3 gets affected by the SDS issue and If I give the phone to the Samsung service centre, they will be able to bootinto custom recovery and they can reject my warranty claim right ?