Storage Solutions Samsung harddisk ROCKS!!!

Spectre

Skilled
I am so impressed with the new 1.5TB hdd from Samsung. Its an EcoGreen F2 drive running at 5400 rpm, but boy its super fast

This is the first Samsung HDD i am using almost after 7-8 years

7 OS installed on it as fast as 7200.12 drive

Copying from Seagate 7200.12 to Samsung drive (iso images) directly, was @ 95 MBps constant

Copying through esata mode was at 57-60 MBps constant

Copying through USB mode was at 33-35 MBps constant

and what more, on Sunbeamtech casing with Chennai weather, the temps are 29C when the internal Seagate HDD is at 36C :D

This is so impressive for me as the WD Green 1TB i used earlier was much slower compared to these

With 5 years warranty and shipped price of 4592, it was an amazing deal as well.

If only Samsung markets these better in India and ramp up their RMA like WD, they would just smash all competition

Copying files seems to be one of the areas where it seems to perform better than the wd green drives. So its ideal for a data dump :D

The benchmarks show slightly higher temps and load though.

Spectre said:
With 5 years warranty and shipped price of 4592, it was an amazing deal as well.

If only Samsung markets these better in India and ramp up their RMA like WD, they would just smash all competition

First ramping up the RMA will not be a uphill task for them as they already have infra in place.

But I'm sure the moment every thing is on par with other manufacturers, Purchasing Samsung HDD will not be a deal anymore. Distri's will jack up prices for sure.:mad:

Seems fast, and i dont know how fast a WD Green drive is so i cant compare. Anyway post a HD Tach Screenie pls :) If possible post one of the 7200.12 also

iprincepankaj said:
Sadly though ,Samsung drives are always overshadowed by the likes of Seagate,WD.

That's cos outside of the F1's, Samsung performance has always been lousy.

Does anyone have any experience/ knowledge of Samsung warranty/ RMA procedures? Benchmarks show it to be faster than the WD Greens, but I'll need a little more confidence in after sales before I even think of getting a drive. Over-all, drives seem to be failing more and more...

Samsung service centers are actually split up between different products

For eg: one service center in that area will cater to mobiles/hdds/ovens and other may handle say tv/monitor/washing machine/...

And Samsung centers are more than adequate in Chennai, almost every area has one or two of them.

But the actual RMA procedure for HDD is something to be checked out

How long it takes. Does they replace with new or refurbished, is there pickup/drop avbl like WD etc

Is anything-green HDD recommended ?

Don't they have shorter lives on avg because of all the extra spinups & downs (to save energy or somefink).

Samsung RMA is pathetic. Gave my 160 gb hard disk last week for rma. They said it will take atleast 20-25 for replacement since they dont have 160 gb in stock.

damn said:
Actually, the F3s are topping every possible chart. Just google...

Actually I wanted to comment on the performance of Samsung drives before F1 :p. That too lost out because of availability in India. Comparatively, Seagate and WD have been rocking the charts and providing superb service.

madnav said:
where the hell did you get 1.5TB for 4592 shipped ??!! :O

EDITeD:

i suppose you meant 5592

1K off the 5592 using the CITI Bank offer :p

By the way , regarding the Samsung services .I had RMAed a few IDE drives almost 3-4 years back .Service centers were easily accessible .Infact there was a separate service centre for Navi Mumbai and Mumbai unlike Seagate.

They check the drives at the counter for physical damage before accepting and give you a challan .Usually you get a replacement in 7-10 days time.

That was way back in 2005-2006. No idea if the service has improved or deteriorated.

Spectre said:
i meant 4592 :bleh:

Its after 20% Citi coupon on ebay. Its still there. Get hold of a Citibank card and buy it

From our very own dealer ITwares

eBay India: SAMSUNG F2 HD154UI 1.5TB Hard Disk 1.5 TB - 3 Yrs War (item 270554087640 end time 03-Apr-2010 17:28:20 IST)

come to gtalk please :p

FaH33m said:
1K off the 5592 using the CITI Bank offer :p

By the way , regarding the Samsung services .I had RMAed a few IDE drives almost 3-4 years back .Service centers were easily accessible .Infact there was a separate service centre for Navi Mumbai and Mumbai unlike Seagate.

They check the drives at the counter for physical damage before accepting and give you a challan .Usually you get a replacement in 7-10 days time.

That was way back in 2005-2006. No idea if the service has improved or deteriorated.

yes the service center is closer to apna bazaar(vashi).. like a kilometer from my house..

the drives were really of bad quality before back then.. i had to replace mine as well as 2 of my friend's 80GB drives 2-3times in one year before i sold it of.. and thus stopped buying samsung since then, although the new drives seem better..

looking forward to buy a new drive..but also trying to resist the temptation after hearing so many drive failures of 1-1.5TB drives.. the greed for real estate never ends ..:p

HDTune benchmarking - comparing Seagate 1TB 7200.12 and Samsung Ecogreen F2 in a Sunbeamtech Airbox through esata interface

Seagate 1TB 7200.12

93928859.png

Samsung 1.5TB (on casing)

22406050.png

Smasung RMA is still good. I got my replacement drive within 7 days. and the process took only a couple of minutes. :)

Back