Storage Solutions Samsung harddisk ROCKS!!!

if one search internet will find various problems related with samsung HDD specially T1, at nehru place
1 TB samsung cost almost same as 500 GB Segate , but people still prefer latter one.

Lol what a loser :p

I want 10 X 1TB @ 2.5k then.....In fact I am sure you can get 100 orders @ TE at even 2.7k...u can keep the 200 X 100 = 20k profit also. But if u r wrong...u should be str!!ped in public for making a claim which u knew was wrong from start :rofl:

Supra said:
Lol what a loser :p

I want 10 X 1TB @ 2.5k then.....In fact I am sure you can get 100 orders @ TE at even 2.7k...u can keep the 200 X 100 = 20k profit also. But if u r wrong...u should be str!!ped in public for making a claim which u knew was wrong from start :rofl:

:yeah: ...................

arnov said:
In terms of Reliabliltiy and after sales service Seagate HDDs are the best in Indian Market.

Yep, I've never had a prob with seagate in almost 10 yrs now. Until it happens I'm not bothering with anything else.

This thread is wierd because ppl are going on about RMA (!) How bout using something that won't need a RMA.

Now i bet there will be ppl saying they had probs with Seagate. But going from informal chats...it works this way

Seagate > WD > Samsung

They're aiming for bottom of the barrel to save a few bucks and then have the joy of RMA to get a new drive. Ridiculous !

Just one suggestion guys, use a High Quality SMPS for better lasting of Computer Components including HDDs. The moment I've started using A High Quality Power Supply for three years I've not faced any single Hardware Issue.

Seagate was good. Now due to RMAing my 500GB HDD thrice, I will not buy it again. Good RMA service, yes, I got my HDD replaced within a week or 10 days, but as blr_p said, why should we need to RMA in the first place? I paid money so that I can backup my data in peace, not so that I get a brand new product every 3-6 months.

arnov said:
Just one suggestion guys, use a High Quality SMPS for better lasting of Computer Components including HDDs. The moment I've started using A High Quality Power Supply for three years I've not faced any single Hardware Issue.

Not entirely true. With my VX450W, the Seagate 500GB 7200.12 Drive developed bad sectors twice. However, a good SMPS is a must for every system, if one does not want to fry it.

arnov said:

This matters more in a powered system than a low power one. I've used a circa 2001 P3 for my data store and the SMPS blew after a few years, replaced it with a 400W Intex as thats the least powered one I could find.

Oh and my segate drives run at 40-50 degrees C for the last several years now. No probs as the data is all checksumed and accurate to the byte. I do replace my drives every 3-4 years as I run out of space.

This more than anything has prolly saved me from any crashes.

The Samsung 1.5tb hdd that I had bought from itwares arrived doa. I called up the Samsung service center (had a hard time finding which one to call from the website) and they asked to come to their center (somewhere in Basvangudi). I went there and the guy looks at it and says that SES technologies in Jayanagar deals with the replacements (a fact that the guy somehow forgot in the 4-5 phone conversations I had with him asking the way to the place).

The next day I went to the SES Technologies office and the guy said that he didn't have stock of 1.5tb hdds and gave me a receipt. After 3 days I called him up and he said that he has stocks now.

I went back and picked it up - asked him if it was possible to check the hdd in the office so that I wouldn't have to come back again. He said its impossible.

This hdd got detected but the the formatting got stuck at around 70% or so. I tried with acrionis and paragon partition managers and it showed up a lot of bad sectors.

Now I've got to try and get this one replaced :(

I've spent at least Rs 200 on travel alone and wasted about 3 days on this hdd and still haven't got it working. I guess god is punishing me for being too greedy and going for the 20% off offer and on a horrible brand of hdds :(.

NEVER AGAIN.

^.. Seagate's are failing, WD's are failing, Samsungs's are failing... What is next. every one of them now have their fair share of failures...

So what should be now the criteria to buy a HDD....

chiron said:
The Samsung 1.5tb hdd that I had bought from itwares arrived doa. I called up the Samsung service center (had a hard time finding which one to call from the website) and they asked to come to their center (somewhere in Basvangudi). I went there and the guy looks at it and says that SES technologies in Jayanagar deals with the replacements (a fact that the guy somehow forgot in the 4-5 phone conversations I had with him asking the way to the place).

The next day I went to the SES Technologies office and the guy said that he didn't have stock of 1.5tb hdds and gave me a receipt. After 3 days I called him up and he said that he has stocks now.

I went back and picked it up - asked him if it was possible to check the hdd in the office so that I wouldn't have to come back again. He said its impossible.

This hdd got detected but the the formatting got stuck at around 70% or so. I tried with acrionis and paragon partition managers and it showed up a lot of bad sectors.

Now I've got to try and get this one replaced :(

I've spent at least Rs 200 on travel alone and wasted about 3 days on this hdd and still haven't got it working. I guess god is punishing me for being too greedy and going for the 20% off offer and on a horrible brand of hdds :(.

NEVER AGAIN.

would have been better to ask dealer to rma coz it was doa .

Krow said:
Good RMA service, yes, I got my HDD replaced within a week or 10 days, but as blr_p said, why should we need to RMA in the first place? I paid money so that I can backup my data in peace, not so that I get a brand new product every 3-6 months.

HailStonE said:
^.. Seagate's are failing, WD's are failing, Samsungs's are failing... What is next. every one of them now have their fair share of failures...

So what should be now the criteria to buy a HDD....

Sad truth is that HDDs do seem to be failing all over. But as HailStonE has noted, any brand can and are failing. Given that we have no other choices except backing up our data regularly, I'd think the brand with the best warranty policy and better service records should get our loyalty. In that sense, I've always had it good with WD and seagate bar a few hiccups here and there :).

RoBoGhOsT said:
would have been better to ask dealer to rma coz it was doa .

I was even thinking of giving extra cash to get the wd 1.5tb but then figured if it would get replaced here itself then I could at least be sure that the replaced hdd is fine.

Samsung HDD service center @ Chennai

City Service
Address: Old-31, New-77, Kodambakkam High Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai- 600034
Landmark: Near Good Shepherd Marriage Hall
Phone: (044) 28226762 , (044) 28226763

confirmed this with Samsung CC, just for info
nothing has happened to my HDD /touchwood

Samsung HDD are the worst I ever had.

Currently using 1Tb Spinpoint.

Crashed 2-3 times.Although I tried to recover and reformat it earlier (after wasting lot of time)
This time I thought to go for RMA,
Went to there Service Centre in Nehru Place.they told Samsung doesn`t provide warranty of HDD any more (for HDD manufactured after 2007)
Warranty is through distributor.:mad:
I was shocked.Went to a local shop in NP convinced that this had been brought from him and got a new HDD.:)

Planning to dispose it off....:eek:hyeah:

Back