Android Samsung phones- 4 years of security updates

icysmoke

Disciple

This is an amazing step by Samsung. Supporting something as low budget as the M series for 4 years with regular security updates is nothing short of amazing.

I don't think other Android manufacturer comes close.

Perfect example of benefits of a competitive market. Apple took the lead, Samsung went one step further by including phones that cost less than 15k. Hopefully all others will be forced to follow. I really hope that Samsung markets this as much as Apple markets privacy. In the end maybe all oems will be forced to provide better privacy along with regular security updates.

This is amazing. I'm a bit skeptical on this info given it is Samsung but hopefully it is true and they do it as intended. If

If true

1. This will be a very good precedent for other android manufacturers to follow and mostly they will have to do it to compete

2. , this should put an end to all the oh but iphone gives so many updates, I don't care if it makes my phone slow, i just want those updates.

My Honor View 10 also received regular updates for nearly 3 years and I was very pleasantly surprised by that. This was a big achilles heel for android phones and it is a welcome step by samsung. But being a big company with many many models to support, let's see if they can keep their word.

They have mentioned caveat that the list of phones can change at any time and also depending on the market region, so it reeks of a bait and switch waiting to happen

They have mentioned caveat that the list of phones can change at any time and also depending on the market region, so it reeks of a bait and switch waiting to happen
Well yes, they have mentioned that the list can change. No company would ever committ absolutely to avoid legal implications. I still think that because they have decided to go ahead with a press release that has exact names of the devices, it is unlikely that the list will see major removals. A few removals can happen, but major changes would make them look like conmen.

Even the cheapest is on the list....this is some development if it sticks

• Galaxy M01, Galaxy M11, Galaxy M21, Galaxy M31, Galaxy M31s, Galaxy M51, Galaxy M12
Very very excited :D :D

I got my m21 in May last year and recently it was updated to android 11. The security updates are every 3 months unlike S range which is monthly.

I will be quite happy if the security updates last 4 years.
Yeah, for the cheaper devices the updates are once a quarter and the latest Android release is half a year after the flagships which itself takes it to a year after Google's release. Essentially, still not so great.

However, in case of my S5e, I find that Samsung releases an update with the monthly security patch across different regions, so I simply flash the latest firmware along with HOME_CSC to retain data and in effect get a monthly update. Not sure why Samsung cannot release a firmware across all regions.

This is definitely a good move. I hope others also take cue from thus move. I don't think it should be a hugh task given than devices get security latches for up to 3 years under Android One programme.
This should be interesting.

There was a good article today on the limitations of Android updates due to Qualcomm. Basically, Qualcomm makes it impossible for certified updates to be pushed through beyond a few versions due to lack of support which in turn makes it difficult to pass Google's tests using old blobs like custom ROMs.

My Galaxy A50s received update of One UI 3.1 /Android 11

2nd major (Android 10 on very FIRST day of mobile purchase and now Android 11 in March 2021) Update, after I bought handset in October 2020

Hats Off Samsung

Last edited:
Back