Samsung s9 FE(30k) vs ipad 10th(33k) gen vs ipad 9th gen (24k)

awestorr

Adept
Hello,
I m looking for a tablet. main usage will be reading/ lightly editing pdf/notes and probably media consumption.
I dont think it will be used for note making from the scrath, however that may change .
Earlier i was thinking to get a s6 lite under 20k, however i have decided to increase my Budget around 30k.
i have heard good things about ipad 10th gen.

S9 FE looks like an ideal tablet for me, however the cpu is a "bit" Underwhelming.
Especially the part where Reviewers say that ipad has 2x perf hurts me the most:p.
its not as i will be doing anything heavy/demanding on the pad But paying almost same for less performance doesnt sit well with me.
I have earlier used ipad pro 10.4 inch model of one on my cousin.
Loved the writing experience ,however didnt like ios since it lacked basic features like searching for the pdf in a fully
fledged file manger, ability to just zip multiple files and then send them .
Or maybe i wasnt able to figure out how to do that.
All in all ios did feel a bit restrictive to me.

would love to hear what are the advan/Disadvantages of one and the other.

FYI s9FE has exynos 1380 which is present in budget phones around 14-15k like m34/f34.
and costs around 30k.
1)s9 comes with 90hz vs 60hz on ipads.
2)samsung has the stylus in box, which i would need to pay extra on ipads.
3)also please lemme know whats the major diff between ipad 9th and 10 gen and is it worth paying 33 % extra, since i m on a budget here.
4)No torrenting on ipad?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you get your hands on a tab S8 for around 35k, then it would be the best of them all. But it will be possible only in some sale. Right now, it's available for 40k.

ios since it lacked basic features like searching for the pdf in a fully
fledged file manger, ability to just zip multiple files and then send them .
It can do all that in it's file manager app called "Files".

My recommendation just get the iPad. The restrictive nature is what get's you the most optimized OS experience. Once you keep it for long term, kinda gets addictive and after that android tablet just feels wrong to even exist.

1)s9 comes with 90hz vs 60hz on ipads.
90hz screen with frame drops much worse than constant locked 60fps 60Hz experience.

also please lemme know whats the major diff between ipad 9th and 10 gen and is it worth paying 33 % extra, since i m on a budget here.
The 9th gen has plenty of life left also it is more closer to your budget.

the most powerful tab under 30k is xiaomi pad6 with sd 870 , but i dont know if its comparable to 7gen+2
7+ Gen 2 is a great SoC, CPU performance is 8 Gen 1 level, so faster than S870 while not having heating issues like 8 Gen 1.

IMO the SoC on S9 FE is a major con vs Xiaomi Pad 6. So my recommendation is Pad 6 even though Samsung has better software.

where is it available for that price
amazon

It was for 48k 2 days back with 8k discount on some cards.

Also, if it is available for 40k on samsung corporate site with unboxed sale (full warranty). see pic below.

1708440893282.png

you can also see from the reviews on amazon, people bought this fir around 38-39k during republic day sale.
If your budget allows this then you can go for it, otherwise S9 FE is very good all-rounder, if you don't need DEX wired support.

Avoid the s9 fe. It has a periodic freezing problem when watching videos. Videos keep playing but touch freezes. It's likely a RAM issue. I haven't had any such problem even on an ipad air2 from five plus years ago. No such problem with an ipad 9

At the 30k mark, there is not even a comparison between the iPad and other options unfortunately unless one is completely tied to the android workflow/way of doing things.

Unfortunately, unlike phones, android tabs are ridiculously overpriced for what they offer all the way from 25-30k to the Top end.

Maybe it’s the lower volumes, maybe it’s something else. But unless buying a secondary tab or something for a very specific use case, it’s really hard to recommend one for general usage- and that’s how it has been for a very long time

At the 30k mark, there is not even a comparison between the iPad and other options unfortunately unless one is completely tied to the android workflow/way of doing things.

Unfortunately, unlike phones, android tabs are ridiculously overpriced for what they offer all the way from 25-30k to the Top end.

Maybe it’s the lower volumes, maybe it’s something else. But unless buying a secondary tab or something for a very specific use case, it’s really hard to recommend one for general usage- and that’s how it has been for a very long time
Before Xiaomi Pad 5, there were no decent tablets under 30k. The only con of Pad 5/6 is lack of 5G IMO. Other tablets offer way too weak SoCs for their price.

IMO tablets had low volume post the hype of 2013-14 after which people realised it is useless, can neither replace phone nor a laptop. Covid did see a surge in demand for tablets but the point remains that it is more useless than a phone or a laptop. My wordings might seem harsh but it is true. I got a Fire Tab 8 from amazon USA 5 years ago or so for my mother who wanted a tablet badly, but she hasn't been using it much after initial hype. She sometimes uses it to browse the web, but the phone is just more convenient for that.

What about Oneplus Pad? Did you consider it?
The price is around 38k on the Oneplus store but can be brought down to 32k with offers.

Before Xiaomi Pad 5, there were no decent tablets under 30k. The only con of Pad 5/6 is lack of 5G IMO. Other tablets offer way too weak SoCs for their price.

IMO tablets had low volume post the hype of 2013-14 after which people realised it is useless, can neither replace phone nor a laptop. Covid did see a surge in demand for tablets but the point remains that it is more useless than a phone or a laptop. My wordings might seem harsh but it is true. I got a Fire Tab 8 from amazon USA 5 years ago or so for my mother who wanted a tablet badly, but she hasn't been using it much after initial hype. She sometimes uses it to browse the web, but the phone is just more convenient for that.
Tablets were never move the kind of volumes phones do- they are not a necessity.
Yet Close to $100Billion worth tablets were sold worldwide in 2023 - and that is far from a small market.

The problem with Android tablets is that most phone manufacturers treat them as an afterthought.
Practically every tablet user will also have a decent phone and barring a few notable exceptions (Galaxy S non FE series, iPads), their tablet would behave/feel noticeably worse in terms of responsiveness/ usability as against their existing phone.
And this becomes the reason why a lot of people stop using them altogether.

My own usage proportion for my computing needs (non work) is around 20:40:40 between phone/tablet / PC - with simple tasks on the phone . moderately complex on tab and complex on PC.

If the tablets I use were sluggish/ felt worse than the phone, that 40% in the middle would have shifted towards the phone.
What you are saying OTOTH is akin to a user with a Ryzen 7 PC complaining that phones are uesless because he/she uses a Helios P35 phone.

Tablets were never move the kind of volumes phones do- they are not a necessity.
Yet Close to $100Billion worth tablets were sold worldwide in 2023 - and that is far from a small market.

The problem with Android tablets is that most phone manufacturers treat them as an afterthought.
Practically every tablet user will also have a decent phone and barring a few notable exceptions (Galaxy S non FE series, iPads), their tablet would behave/feel noticeably worse in terms of responsiveness/ usability as against their existing phone.
And this becomes the reason why a lot of people stop using them altogether.

My own usage proportion for my computing needs (non work) is around 20:40:40 between phone/tablet / PC - with simple tasks on the phone . moderately complex on tab and complex on PC.

If the tablets I use were sluggish/ felt worse than the phone, that 40% in the middle would have shifted towards the phone.
What you are saying OTOTH is akin to a user with a Ryzen 7 PC complaining that phones are uesless because he/she uses a Helios P35 phone.
I have a similar type of use case, my phone is used mostly for calls and WhatsApp while I have most of my things done on my Samsung Tab A8. I use it for Reading docs and content consumption, and it's the best middle ground for me between my PC and my phone. Phones are slowly losing their appeal to me, even if I had the budget to buy an S23, I'd still probably get something powerful enough like the Poco M6 Pro and spend the rest on a tab or a PC upgrade.

@Heisen is there any native ios app for downloading torrents.

where is it available for that price
OP, don't stress too much on the SoC. My A8 has a puny Unisoc SoC, and the only thing that lags for me is split screen or switching apps, both of which I do frequently use unfortunately. But other than that, YT, Stremio, Xodo, and Google work well. I'm thinking of installing some good ROM on it, that would make it even more snappier. But with an Exynos, I don't think you should have any issues. Benchmarks don't tell the whole story, the only reason it would lag is because of Samsungs heavy and bloated UI.

And btw, I have a Xiaomi Pad 5 at home with its stylus used by my family, and feature wise, OneUI is better easily. The biggest difference for me is ease of split screen, you can simply drag an app from the dock and make it work as split screen. I don't think MIUI has this, and it's super handy for me. But it's a carbon copy of iPadOS, I used to have a mini 4 and the similarities are surprising.

Stylus wise, it's good, I've never used an iPad with its pen before so cant comment much on it. Palm rejection works well, lmk if you have any more doubts regarding it.

You could try a Tab-Phone ecosystem as well, I've built something robust and it works well for me. For file transfers, I use ftp and KDEConnect, latter works for media control, clipboard and notification sync as well. For audio sharing, I use AudioRelay, so I don't have to unpair my TWS if I have to swap between devices. If you're familiar with Unix terminals, try Termux as well. It's API has some handy features. I don't use it often, but it's useful if I want to launch an app on my tab from my phone, like say it's in my other room and im walking towards it. Tbh, I think if you dug a bit more, you could have something more powerful than the Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:
Back