Budget 10-15K Samsung Vs the rest of the world

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Now that I have your attention a friend needs help buying a new phone. Instead of following the template I'll explain the situation.

His budget was/is 14000.
He asked me what to buy even though he'd already made up his mind about the Galaxy Grand Prime. I stopped him. Why? He's a newbie when it comes to tech. You know the kind who simply buys whatever catches his eyes and that too from showrooms! I doubt that he even knows about reviews. Thekind who likes to blame the phone/company in general when it screws up instead of trying to look into why.
The Grand Prime is not that bad a phone. In fact I think that it has a good battery rated at 2600mah which is really good but on paper. I'm not sure about the actual battery life nor do I trust reviews about battery life out there (I'll leave this for another day). But what made me do it was because of the display. At 5.0" it has only 540*960 res. and pixel density of only 220. I don't know about you guys but I'm very picky when it comes to the pixel density. I don't know to explain but I don't like phones with a large screen and low PPI. If this phone had come in 4.5" and 540*960 and say 250ppi then I would've suggested it.

Next on the list was Moto G (2014). Good specs but battery life is disappointing.

HTC 526G. This phone felt nice to use and has pretty good features. Main con is the 2000mah battery life. Also has mediatek chip set and 230ppi only. I haven't used any phone with Mediatek chipset and i don't know about the newer whole octacore thing but I didnt hear many good things about mediatek chipset so I'm not sure how it will be after a year of use.

LG L Bello. Good battery rated at 2540mah. However comes in 480p at 5.0" and <200ppi. Also mediatek.

Asus Zenfone 6. imb4 3300mah battery on paper. However users have complained about the actual low battery life and RAM memory hog. Also theres a confusion about the 1.6GHz/2GHz speed on some sites. Also size too huge.

LG G3 S/LG G3 Beat. The best of the lot or so I thought. 5.0" 720P 294ppi. Snapdragon 400. Gorilla glass 3. 2450mah battery.
15365rs on Flipkart.

GSMarena says this phone has a pixel density of 294ppi. but an indian site 91mobiles say its 326ppi. There are also other differences like size of 5.0" on GSM and 4.5" on the latter. 2450mah on GSM against 2100mah on 91mobiles etc. Before you ask G3 S and G3 Beat are one and the same according to GSM. I think 91mobiles info is wrong. Funny because the links to online e-com have the correct specs lol.
GSMarena says front cam is 1.3mp but techradar mentions it to be 2.1mp. tech2 also says 1.3mp.

Lumia 730. At only 13600rs its one of the best non-android phones out there.
A phone which has nearly everything I'm looking for. 4.7" 720p 316ppi. Gorilla Glass 3. Carl Zeiss optics woot! (Now we are talking). Not a selfie fan but 5mp front cam is very nice.
Battery life 2200mah is weak on paper but I noticed that Lumia out-performs Android phones when it comes to battery. For eg. the Lumia 525 has a very low battery 1450mah but it lasted longer than my Android 2100mah battery. Also the camera was superior to my P11's. Another friend of mine has the 525 and used it regularly to play 2D MMO and the battery didn't disappoint. Anyway this friend of mine told me that he doesn't mind Lumia so I'm also thinking perhaps should we go with this? But I'm a playstore fanboy. Also Nokia/Lumia online support is great. The best which I've known.

The last phone which I want to mention is the Galaxy S4 i9500. I told my friend to get some more money and buy it. :p too good for 18k only.

So what do you guys think?

Phone will be bought immediately after its decided.

Do not suggest phones like Xiaomi, Yureka etc.

As much as I hate people who just hate Samsung for no reason I would like to say at that budget you should stay away from Samsung.

So some of your choices are indeed good, like the ZenFone 6 (however I don't know whether its released or not) and Moto G v2. Absolutely no comments on those LG, if you think about referring G2 to him for whatever price it is being sold at now then he should consider adding a little more and get the S4 instead. And L730 is another wise choice too, for Windows.

And for God's sake stay away from those MI4 OnePlusOne etc.

all bad choices. Better get a 2nd hand mi3 or get him OPO for 19k,
1+1 was the first phone which I recommended him but i didn't want to risk getting blamed for poor after sales service in case anything bad happens with the phone.
No Xiaomi as already mentioned.

Any possibilities to buy imported LG G2?
Nope. Warranty is a must. And its better not to suggest such thing to people who don't have much knowledge about it.

Whats wrong with the S3 neo for 12500 + party for 1500?
Battery. And I couldn't find any proper review.

As much as I hate people who just hate Samsung for no reason I would like to say at that budget you should stay away from Samsung.

So some of your choices are indeed good, like the ZenFone 6 (however I don't know whether its released or not) and Moto G v2. Absolutely no comments on those LG, if you think about referring G2 to him for whatever price it is being sold at now then he should consider adding a little more and get the S4 instead. And L730 is another wise choice too, for Windows.

And for God's sake stay away from those MI4 OnePlusOne etc.
lol. Zenfone 6 is available now yes. but the screen is too huge.
I wanted to get an opinion on which phone would suit him the best.
The guy is like a Samsung fanboy. he likes everything Samsung.

There is a reason. Samsung makes such crap hardware. Though this year , with s6 they have done a great job. I myself may move from iPhone 6 to s6 when it launches in India.[DOUBLEPOST=1425874675][/DOUBLEPOST]

I feel you, I am in such situations aswell where people who don't have knowledge are either samsung or apple fans. Better suggest him to go for s4 at 18k.

Samsung hardware isn't too crap, but off late the build quality and aesthetics is bad. Their internals , specifications are comparable to same range phones, having said that

Samsung phones Come with certain default goodies which cannot be easily overlooked.

Gorgeous display - unmatched by any other Vendor
Capacitative dedicated properly placed Back button
User Removable battery
Service reach
Micro SD support
Network and call quality - which is always topnotch.
Etc to name the few.

Slightly OT but, Samsung seems to have learnt lessons from S5 sales, their build quality and aesthetic appeal has improved. Newer touchwiz is leaner in bloatware department. Hopefully things will improve from now on.

i wud suggest moto g 2nd gen for 13 k . imo its the best phone in the market for the price and comes close to nexus like experience with no bloatware or samsung, sony, htc shitty touch wiz interfaces on top of it .

i got myself one with the flipkart exchange offer for 10 k , killer deal. phone has no lag , and all smartphones dont last more than a day so battery life no issue at all.

Last edited:
Well hard to deviate a fanboy from his fanboysim.

If ZF6 is too big for him (its normal given ZF5 is pretty big itself, damn bezels) then go the Motorola route, those Moto G 2014 aren't bad in that budget.

Back