Samsung Wave II / Bada OS - what are the pros & cons?

Srirama

Adept
Hello guys,
I'm contemplating buying this phone,so if there are any users please list your pro's and con's about this phone. :)
Also what is the market price of this phone?
And am planning to sell my nokia 5230 for this.
Also how about this Bada OS?,i heard that it gets loads better with Bada 2.0 update,Any thoughts on that? :huh:

Re: Samsung Wave II

everything's the same as the previous wave model except for the screen...it used to have 3.3inch amoled which has now been replaced by 3.7inch s-lcd screen...so u won't get super contrasts n magnificient colors which the amoled could reproduce!

so u might check out the wave's reviews,the same pro's n con's apply here too....

bada os is the only downside of the wave,n it is being forecasted that things'll change once bada 2.0 is released...

n there are also works going on to root over android to wave...so the day might not be that far that u might be able to enjoy android on this baby!

n it has been reported that video player is a little jittery...

u can expect to get the phone for 15-16k!!

Re: Samsung Wave II

U can get the phone for 13700 from letsbuy after using reliance coupon.
Srirama said:
Hello guys,

I'm contemplating buying this phone,so if there are any users please list your pro's and con's about this phone. :)

Also what is the market price of this phone?

And am planning to sell my nokia 5230 for this.

Also how about this Bada OS?,i heard that it gets loads better with Bada 2.0 update,Any thoughts on that? :huh:

I'm sorry about using non-descriptive thread titles.(will do some from next time :) )

@techpal,what is the reliance coupon?,could you please elaborate

Go to letsbuy.com and use code RCOMLSB to get rs 2000 off.
Srirama said:
I'm sorry about using non-descriptive thread titles.(will do some from next time :) )

@techpal,what is the reliance coupon?,could you please elaborate

I own a Samsung Wave. Wave II also feels a bit bulkier. Bada is relatively new OS .

The Pros of the OS are

* stable OS

* Has many of the features of Android and iOS

* Performance has been significantly improved with 1.2

The cons of OS are

* lack of Apps. Most of the good apps are paid and horribly priced compared to the counterparts.

* lack of Good free Apps

* does not support multitasking

Dont buy the phone if you are heavy App user. Social Networking apps on this phone like facebook and twitter are medicore at the best. It looks like these things have been improved significantly in Bada 2.0. It would be some time before bada 2.0 gets released on Wave 2 phones, considering Samsung wave Bada 1.2 update came to india 6 months after release.

But it does offer a killer configuration at its price point. Great hardware and stable OS. Lack of apps and some OS features like multitasking are its only weak points.

I would suggest you wait till June if you can ,when samsung is expected to release new models with bada 2.0 on them.

The only reason to buy a Samsung Wave was the super amoled screen at dirt cheap prices. But now that the Super amoled display has been replaced with Super LCD, I would stay away from wave.

Don't get me wrong, its one of the best phones to have come out in recent years and if you are not an app user, by all means get a Wave II with your eyes closed but if you do wanna play with applications, it is better to invest in an android phone.

pauldmps said:
Are you sure about this ?

yup 100%. Its one of the features coming in 2.0. Currently, Local applications (preinstalled) can multitask with one Bada application at a time. So I would say this as multitasking feature.

OK,so in reality what are the apps available,i heard that there are sufficient aps to satisfy an average user.

@sandy,please list the worthwhile apps?

Also any idea bada 2.0 Changelog?

Dude just check mobileburn reviews of both Wave I and II on youtube.

I'd rather get a 2-3 month old wave 1 than spend on wave II.

edit: and regarding bada updates -

1.2 was supposed to be launched in October. Ultimately was rolled out in Feb-Mar and to India on 18th of this month.

bada 2.0 is scheduled for a July launch in India. Just an fyi.

Secondly, 512 MB RAM debate has been well documented. Some ppl say its 256 for apps and the rest 256 for OS etc etc. Bottomline - Not enough resources issue is still prevelant. Browsing becomes a pain and even google mobile will not open after some heavy surfing.
Large PDF files can be a pain to load/read as no Text reflow is present.

You'll love the music player on this phone specially if you like using album covers/ mp3tagging etc.
But then, sorting has limited options. Shuffle sometimes seem to repeat itself. But that would be nitpicking.

Gesture recognition/Accelerometer/Pinch and tap zoom both.
What I loved was the 720p recording and flash. shots taken at those dingy pubs won't look grainy anymore :)

Got a bit carried away. To quickly wrap up I'd give the samsung wave II - 3.5/5 and wave I - 4.5/5. Choose wisely.

@quixand,
Thanks for your detailed reply :)
I am unable to find Wave 1 in any of the stores here.
I also think that wave 1 will most likely not get the bada 2.0 update.
Personally,am not into 2nd hand phones either.
So wave 2 is slow on the browser front?,could you be a bit more detailed? :p

ok dont flame me :ashamed:

But,out of memory on running how many applications?

Or opening how many tabs?

Or just plainly loading a website like engadget.

But,out of memory on running how many applications?

Typically I used to run 3-4 widgets like a clock, weather widget and a memo. native social n/w widgets are meh! and hog memory and screen space.

Or opening how many tabs?

I could never open Techradar, Cricinfo, Badaforums, Techenclave. Even if the page would load, I was unable to zoom in as "Page content too large too display" message would come up.

Some days I'd open google news and 2-3 links would not load.

As said, "Out of Memory" errors are common on this phone while browsing.

Not just limited to browsing. Too many mails, messages seem to trigger it too.

And yeah the Wave I went out of production long time back and was replaced by the Wave II so no chance of finding it in stores. And both Wave 1 and Wave2 will get 2.0 update.

Samsung wave was the best phone under 20K One year ago. I was eagerly waiting for the bada 2.0 update but only on Wave 1. I don't like Wave II. I'll try an android phone this time.

In case you want more info on bada OS click here Bada Forums

or goto their forum.

Back