Budget Above 40k Samsung's pricing strategy

dpandey

Adept
I have been in the market for a phone and was looking for a good deal on one of the higher end Samsung models. I was eying the s21-5g. The price had gone down to ~55k during diwali but I decided to wait a little longer hoping it will fall further.

Now that s21 FE has been released, Samsung has removed the s21-5g from its store listings (it is still available though at about 64k).

Considering the FE version will be a stripped down S21-5g, I was wondering if Samsung will ever reduce s21's price.

At this point Apple is starting to look like a reasonable company.

/rant

Last edited:
I hope you know that you should be cycling your phone's battery between 30-80% for battery longevity. Since even I stay at home, I keep it cycling between 50-80%. Keeping it plugged in and fully charged will actually be detrimental to the battery life.
Is the same true for laptops also or can they be left plugged in 24x7?

Is the same true for laptops also or can they be left plugged in 24x7?
It depends. In laptops, they stop using/charging the battery and switch to AC power when the battery is fully charged, so they can be left plugged in. Many of the newer laptops also have this option of limiting the charging to 80% and it switches automatically to AC power once that limit is reached.
Also, if one plans to store li-ion batteries then it is advised to store them at 30% or lower charge. This is how I store my power tool batteries.

It depends. In laptops, they stop using/charging the battery and switch to AC power when the battery is fully charged, so they can be left plugged in. Many of the newer laptops also have this option of limiting the charging to 80% and it switches automatically to AC power once that limit is reached.
Also, if one plans to store li-ion batteries then it is advised to store them at 30% or lower charge. This is how I store my power tool batteries.
How to make sure that a laptop has this option that after fully charging the battery it directly switches to the ac power thus not impacting the battery?

How to make sure that a laptop has this option that after fully charging the battery it directly switches to the ac power thus not impacting the battery?
The taskbar will display "plugged in" but another way to check this is through the battery usage stats which will be empty. Note that the actual battery life becomes horrible if it is plugged in all the time, so you will have to discharge completely once in a while for recalibration.

1642960336058.png

The biggest drawback of S21 and S21 FE is that they don't have external memory slot.

The difference between 21G and FE version is ~8k after CC instant discount.

IMO, S20FE is a better VFM at 32K.

image_2022-01-24_042045.png

Last edited:
I hope you know that you should be cycling your phone's battery between 30-80% for battery longevity. Since even I stay at home, I keep it cycling between 50-80%. Keeping it plugged in and fully charged will actually be detrimental to the battery life.
I have heard this but have never been convinced. If the life of a li-ion battery is measured in charge cycles why would you charge cycle it when you have a choice?

The image below is a AccuBattery screenshot from my 3 year old LG V30 which has been plugged in most of the time. I have nothing to compare it with (installed the app yesterday), but it doesn't look bad to me.

AccuBattery2.jpg

I have always connected it to a 5 volt charger.
Tata Cliq has the S21 5G for 53k and it is possible to get the S21 Plus for 55k through Croma, so probably you didn't check elsewhere as then those prices are lower than the Diwali price you have mentioned.
Unfortunately, I am away from the city right now, so real stores were not an option. I had been checking croma and reliance digital till mid Dec when I moved, but couldn't find any good offers.

get the S21 Plus for 55k through Croma
This looks like a good deal. I really liked the phone. It was priced at ~80k in reliance when I last checked.

rant:
I have never been able to get anything at the chain store sales. Their opaque pricing and high pressure sales tactics are a big turn off. All the displayed prices are marked up and you have to talk to three salesmen to get the real price. I was trying to buy a fridge last Jan. Every time I asked the price, they will take out the calculator, punch in some numbers and shove it in my face. And the price was only valid if I ordered the same day. I finally ended up buying from Amazon.
/rant

Last edited:
The biggest drawback of S21 and S21 FE is that they have external memory slot.

The difference between 21G and FE version is ~8k after CC instant discount.

IMO, S20FE is a better VFM at 32K.
How is having external memory slot a biggest drawback? Enlighten me. I think it's a very useful feature, especially if it's dedicated slot. But I think you have made a typo error.

Edit: all S21 models don't have external memory slot.

Last edited:
I have never been able to get anything at the chain store sales. Their opaque pricing and high pressure sales tactics are a big turn off. All the displayed prices are marked up and you have to talk to three salesmen to get the real price. I was trying to buy a fridge last Jan. Every time I asked the price, they will take out the calculator, punch in some numbers and shove it in my face. And the price was only valid if I ordered the same day. I finally ended up buying from Amazon.
Is this about Samsung refrigerator? Coz I was thinking of getting one. But not with this attitude.

Is this about Samsung refrigerator? Coz I was thinking of getting one. But not with this attitude.
Nah. I was looking for any fridge around 300l. Ended up buying a panasonic from Amazon.

Edit: It might just be me. For big purchases, I like to collect all information including pricing, then sleep over it for 2-3 days before making the purchase. My brain just shuts off when the salesman answers a price query with 'Sir, please select the model and I will give you the best price'.

Last edited:
I have heard this but have never been convinced. If the life of a li-ion battery is measured in charge cycles why would you charge cycle it when you have a choice?

So you use your phone while it is actually plugged in, like one would use a laptop. I thought you keep using it and plugging it back (which is what I do, but don't charge beyond 80%). You say that you use a 5V charger. Have you ever experienced battery dropping while using the phone still connected to the Charger. A laptop shifts to AC power when fully charged. Don't know if it's the same case with phones? Also phone chargers (5V ones) aren't powerful enough to actually provide the full power unlike laptop chargers and using phones while charging has actually caused injuries to some people in the past.
Whether you are convinced about the fact or not, it is actual chemistry. Also when companies mention cycle life for batteries, the cycles are different for deep-discharge use (100%-20%) and moderate use (80%-30%). Even Tesla has this advisory to fully charge the car only when going on long trips and only till 80% for daily usage.

So you use your phone while it is actually plugged in, like one would use a laptop. I thought you keep using it and plugging it back (which is what I do, but don't charge beyond 80%).
I usually take it out if I need to make a call or watch youtube etc. I plug it back in after use.

Have you ever experienced battery dropping while using the phone still connected to the Charger.
Never noticed it. But then I wasn't looking for it.

A laptop shifts to AC power when fully charged. Don't know if it's the same case with phones?
Not sure, but I have always assumed that chargers shifts to trickle at some threshold. When the phone is connected to the charger, the charger is is supplying power to both the phone and the battery.

Whether you are convinced about the fact or not, it is actual chemistry. Also when companies mention cycle life for batteries, the cycles are different for deep-discharge use (100%-20%) and moderate use (80%-30%).
Hmm. From Apple's website:

"You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100 per cent of your battery’s capacity — but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75 per cent of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25 per cent the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100 per cent, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle."

Last edited:
Batteries may not be user replaceable anymore but they aren't very expensive to replace. If you change your phone every 2 years then you probably don't have to worry too much about it.
My Samsung On8 just celebrated its fifth birthday. Battery seems to be ok (was my backup phone, I often used it for youtube/browsing). Going to give it someone who will prob use it for a few more years.

Back