Graphic Cards Sapphire 7970 OC or MSI 7970 Lightning

spitfire7

Disciple
Hello people. I am finally done building my rig. I am posting this from it. Cant decide what to GPU to go for since both are very good. The Sapphire 7970 OC is listed on flipkart for Rs. 34,450/-. The MSI 7970 Lightning available locally (Chennai) for Rs. 36,200/-. I do know that the Lightning is top class and made of high quality materials. Could someone please enlighten me on this. Thank you in advance!

@spitfire7 go for the Sapphire 7970 OC over the MSi 7970 LIGHTNING.

If you prefer over-clocking your card then you can go for the LIGHTNING, else it is the Sapphire card all the way. Cheerio!

Also, look if you can find HIS IceQ Turbo edition cards too? They are much cooler running, silent and more importantly can be over-clocked better than either of the card(s) listed above.

Talk to these guys for the HIS card in question, the HD7950 3GB IceQ Turbo edition looks good to me --> http://www.techenclave.com/techxtreme/his-graphic-cards-131412/#post1641819.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sapphire card has not had very good reviews , see newegg.com for that .

- - - Updated - - -

edit : If spending so much , one or two k wont hurt I guess because after spending 34k you should not feel like you made a compromise

Its got a 4 star rating, what is so bad in that?

Nothing is bad , am just talking from users reviews that it doesnt have the best ratings among the 7970's .
Am talking on a comparative basis and yes I have not read the professional reviews , so cant comment on the stars , if you have researched and found it good then its good , I have not read professional reviews .
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11197-01-40G)
This is the sapphire available for 34k .
VaporX is better I guess .

Iv'e placed my order for the MSI 7970 Lightning. Will probably be purchasing it today. Hey Harry_Houdini, I dont think Vapor-X is available in India or the place i live that is Chennai.

Sapphire has pretty good reputation for making very good gpu's,Very good built quality,Good cooling performance with silence and good overclocker too.So OP can go for Sapphire gpu eyes closed.The VaporX edition is factory overclocked edition by sapphire,It's very good for overclocking.
Nothing is bad , am just talking from users reviews that it doesnt have the best ratings among the 7970's .
Am talking on a comparative basis and yes I have not read the professional reviews , so cant comment on the stars , if you have researched and found it good then its good , I have not read professional reviews .
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11197-01-40G)
This is the sapphire available for 34k .
VaporX is better I guess .

Sapphire has pretty good reputation for making very good gpu's,Very good built quality,Good cooling performance with silence and good overclocker too.So OP can go for Sapphire gpu eyes closed.The VaporX edition is factory overclocked edition by sapphire,It's very good for overclocking.

Thank you for replying Jakob :)

Iv'e placed my order for the MSI 7970 Lightning. Will probably be purchasing it today. Hey Harry_Houdini, I dont think Vapor-X is available in India or the place i live that is Chennai.

Cool , ordered from where and how much ?
Congrats

Thanks for the info , yes sapphire has good reputation but i thought if he is spending so much , might as well go for a custom pcb :)

Thanks buddy , do post a pic once you get it .
If its not personal can you tell why this over the 680 or 670 ? .
Am having similar thoughts hence asking you .

Because of it's Compute power. I work on Autodesk Maya. Also because it has more VRAM which will be helpful for the future.

There's an Asus 7970 for 31k on flipkart. I have the exact same card - reference design and can be flashed to the GHz edition. Mine does 1125 core/1500 voltage without changing voltage. You save 5-6k and get basically the same card as everything else. Plus I trust reference designs over other overclocked designs as I've not had a very good experience with those.

Back