Schumacher is back, deal worth 7 Million Euro signed with Mercedes GP

Shripad

ex-Mod
Well well well.
Its finally official and confirmed :D

Fun times will be back next year.
Michael Schumacher has signed a contract to drive for Mercedes GP next season, in a one-year deal worth €7 million.

The much anticipated move will reunite Schumacher, who turns 41 in January, with team principal Ross Brawn, with whom he has secured all seven of his world championships. He will form an all German team with 24-year-old Nico Rosberg, who agreed a deal with Mercedes last month.

German newspaper Bild reported that he signed the deal yesterday at the Mercedes GP headquarters in Brackley, although his spokeswoman Sabine Kehm has refused to comment. Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug recently said that the identity of the team's second driver would not be announced till the new year, but the BBC says the deal will now be announced imminently.

Schumacher, who retired in 2006, was expected to return last year as a replacement for injured Felipe Massa. But his comeback was cancelled after a neck injury sustained in a motorbike test in February turned out to be more serious that previously thought. He has recently undergone extensive medical tests, and earlier this week his manager Willi Webber said he was "superfit".

Schumacher will return to F1 in 2010 | Mercedes | F1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Re: Schumacher is back, deal worth 7Million Euro signed with Mercedes GP

Awesome news,,, will surely increase eyeballs from around the world !!!

His skillz would've gotten a little rusty by now . But still that only gives a chance for the other competitors.

Mercedes GP is Brawn GP right?

The motor-racing legend has signed a one-year contract to drive in 2010 with Mercedes GP, ending three years in retirement.

The announcement comes 11 days ahead of Schumacher's 41st birthday on January 3, easily making him the oldest driver in next year's championship.

Schumacher said: "The motivation is pretty straightforward. I got a call from Ross (Brawn, team principal) at the beginning of November asking me to race again, telling me Mercedes were going to be involved.

"I've never left the race track, and after three years I regained the energy I'm feeling now.

"After playing around on motorbikes, I'm ready for the serious stuff."

Schumacher was poised to make a comeback with Ferrari in the summer to fill in for the injured Felipe Massa, but had to back out because of a neck injury which he now insists is not a problem.

"Before giving the final okay, I had to make sure my neck was okay," he said.

"It wasn't okay in the summer, but it's had the time to heal completely."

great news for f1

he may have needed the money to fund a woods-style lifestyle :p :p :p

I have mixed feelings about this...am happy that Schumi is back and there will be a reason to watch F1 again, but am unhappy that its with Mercedes and not Ferrari...who were probably his greatest rivals at one time. Looks like Ross Brawn has done it for Mercedes

lol, would love to see the reactions of Ferrari fanboys now - that's why this is great news.

Awesome news, Britan vs Germany vs Latin Connection :D

I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of reaction he will get at Monza especially if he beats Alonso/Massa to the podium :D

Really sad to see Schumacher away from ferrari .. :(

But, never the less its like a new career start for him with a new automobile co.

inder.cool said:
Really sad to see Schumacher away from ferrari .. :(

But, never the less its like a new career start for him with a new automobile co.
i agree.. it will be rally hard for die hard Ferrari supporters to see schumi going for mercedes!!

mav2000 said:
I have mixed feelings about this...am happy that Schumi is back and there will be a reason to watch F1 again, but am unhappy that its with Mercedes and not Ferrari...who were probably his greatest rivals at one time. Looks like Ross Brawn has done it for Mercedes
lets see.. its for sure he is going to pass all the technical details he gained from Ferrari and sell it off to mercedes. its like a stab in the back for Ferrari! :-(

^^ Look at it this way.

I will still support Ferrari, but I wont be sad to see Schumi win. It was kinda same this season as well.

As long as Ferrari or Schumi keep the McLaren(in particular Hamilton, the new crybaby) back, its all fine :p

Tejas01 said:
i agree.. it will be rally hard for die hard Ferrari supporters to see schumi going for mercedes!!

lets see.. its for sure he is going to pass all the technical details he gained from Ferrari and sell it off to mercedes. its like a stab in the back for Ferrari! :-(

Why?

Ross brawn is already with Mercedes and he knows hell lot more technically about Ferrari operation than Schumi.

And keep in mind, this is not McLaren Mercedes team, thats now McLaren, and Mercedes have now invested in Ross Brawn's team and its called Mercedes GP.

Shripad said:
^^ Look at it this way.
I will still support Ferrari, but I wont be sad to see Schumi win. It was kinda same this season as well.
As long as Ferrari or Schumi keep the McLaren(in particular Hamilton, the new crybaby) back, its all fine :p

Ya, all schumi fans would love to see him win be it what ride he is riding.. :)

I definetly support drivers and not the teams except for Force India :p

although am not expecting MS to perform any wonders as he used to earlier, but id love to see that whine baby hamilton lose in every race to someone who is twice the age that he is :lol:

It's now official.

I'd switch my TV on to see him race a bicycle, let alone a Mercedes.

I'm not going to underestimate Ross and Norbert - they'll make a killer team with Michael, even if they don't have the fastest car on the grid in Bahrain. Benetton was an ordinary car, but he is an extraordinary driver.

Back