Screen protectors on Gorilla Glass ?

Guys, don't make it personal. Have a good discussion on the subject. This is what forums are for.

Personally, I never liked screen protectors, and I haven't used one on my Nexus 5. Since it has a corning gorilla glass, I never felt the need for it too. If you have to put a screen protector on a corning gorilla glass for protecting it from scratches, then what's the use? Corning gorilla glass is meant to protect from scratches.

I didn't knew corning gorilla glass can get scratches too, until I read this thread. Can it? I think if it gets scratches, it must be from something which must be done in quite a hard way. In normal usage, like keys and all, I think it will work well to protect the screen from scratches.

Now cases/covers like Spigen are another thing, because these protect from impact, and so getting one is a good thing, specially if you have a costly phone. My mobile has dropped a couple of times but it didn't get scratches or screen broke, but yes, once I dropped in on road, and a crack on the screen was made, but thankfully, it's not on the main screen, but in the side. So yes, while corning gorilla glass is good to protect from scratches.. it won't protect from impacts it cannot handle. So, it makes sense to get a cover/case for such case.

To protect just from scratches, I think that's just overkill and useless... until you handle your phone very rough.

As for my experience among my peers we got phones with almost all variant glasses as people use iphones, xperia, lumia, samsung, moto etc.
Now off these, none of us use any type of scratch guard or tempered glass. But we also make it sure to take utmost care of our phones and occasionally do observe for any minor scratch or any abnormality on the screen. But still none of our phones got a single scratch and yes its that true and that most of the phones are aged more than 18-20 months. Usage is rigid and rough but in pockets and all we dont slide keys with the phone. Some phones fell down from little heights etc but apart from minute dents and some color peel thankfully the displays are intact.

Once a friend did put tempered glass and it literally saved his day as his phone fell from a sufficient height and the tempered glass broke in half but without hurting his original display. So the 200 buck thing did protect his phone from a major accident.
But without a scratch on display.

Still, todays phone displays are resistant to regular wear and tear so none of us ever thought of adding that extra layer to protect but also make sure not to go harsh on our devices.
I however use bumper cover and it really protects my phone even from drops and placements on any surfaces.

So stressing on scratch factor is personal choice. CoZ its advertised as scratch resistant and not scratch proof. And people take it otherwise...

Good point there @nRiTeCh , about scratch resistant and scratch proof. For normal usage, corning gorilla glass will definitely protect from scratches, but if you really handle your phone rough, then it might not protect beyond a point.

Like @nRiTeCh , I too do handle my phone very carefully, and if I have to place my phone somewhere, I place it face down on a safe surface as to avoid anything happening to the screen by accident, like someone putting something over it. I do not put keys or change in the same pocket as my phone. In fact, I keep my phone where I put my handkerchief.

The incident where the phone fell on road happened, because I was driving car, and had to check my phone, and then, I put it between my legs and forgot about it. So, while getting down from the car, it dropped on the road quite hard, which resulted in screen breakage.
But, I have been using my phone since many years now, and it doesn't have a scratch.

Reading the posts, it seems that the major concern of people is screen breakage from impact on fall. Scratches and fall impacts are two different things and should be treated differently.

Corning gorilla glass will definitely protect from scratches, and costly phones will come with a good quality gorilla glass, so, I see no point in putting a screen protector.

Corning gorilla glass can protect from impact too, but, it depends on the version of the gorilla glass, and the force of the impact. Latest versions are more tougher than the earlier versions. But, certainly, having a corning gorilla glass isn't a guarantee. Even having a screen protector is not a guarantee of protecting from screen breakage. Screen protector will lessen the impact, but it's not a guarantee, that the screen won't break. For protection from impacts, cases/covers or armors like Spigen are better options. So, it makes sense to use a cover or an armor for protection from impacts.

The point no one has brought is that tempered glasses dont have anti fingerprint technology and get smudges within a few touches so makes a and viewing experience. The anti fingerprint tech is amazing and makes screen look crisp and clear always which is what one wants when using the phone. No point having a smudgy screen and not use potential of these lovely Amoled screens. am yet to find a screenguard for s7 /majority of phones that is oleophobic.

Back