User Guides Scrypt based Mining PC - Build Log & How To

Hello everyone,

This is a basic how-to guide for Scrypt based cryptocurrencies like LiteCoin, FeatherCoin, Dogecoin or any other AltCoins.

I am going to be building a dedicated mining rig that mines LiteCoins 24/7, Hopefully i can get in deep details so even if you have no prior experience with this sort of thing you can refer to this guide.

I chose to go with Scrypt mining because of the alternatives i could have in case one coin does not do well, i can easily switch between coins, if you wanted to you can mine Litecoin today & FeatherCoin the next or any other coin of your choice.

Please goto altcoins.com to find all the alternative cyptocurrencies you can try.

HardWare
Here is the list of hardware that I would recommend: Off course i made changes to my recommendations when i built mine, mainly because of availability issues.

Motherboard: ASRock 990 Extreme 3
Processor: AMD Sempron 145
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 4GB
PowerSupply: CoolerMaster Silent M2 Pro 1000Watts
GPUs: 3 x ASUS R9 280X 3GB DDR5 DCU II
Optional1: 3 x PCI-E Riser Cable/ Extension
Optional2: Chassis / Cabinet

Motherboard:
The Motherboard basically needs to have enough PCI-E Slots for the number of Cards you are going to use.
My System is the same as the above recommendation except that i was unable to source the motherboard, I found GigaByte 890FXA-UD7 which would be perfect for mining as it has 6 PCI-E Slots which means that all I need to do in future is to purchase more Graphics card.

20140111_131534.jpg

CPU: AMD Sempron 145 - The CPU will usually sit idle so its not worth investing in Quad-Core's, The lowest end cpu's would usually do, Make sure you check CPU Compatibility list before buying a CPU & Motherboard.

RAM: 2GB RAM would be enough if you are going with Linux based Operating System, Like the CPU, RAM does not get utilized except for the OS. I am going to Install Windows 8.1 so I opted for 4GB.

PSU: This part is as important as the GPUs you are buying, DONT skimp on this, You will have to calculate how much power your system will be using and get the appropriate Wattage Power Supply.
The site below will list out all the GPUs and their approximate mining speeds and power consumption, from the list I was able to calculate that my 3 x ASUS R9 280X would consume around 900Watts so I had to go with a 1000 Watts powersupply.
https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

PCI-E Risers:
The riser is not necessary, as right now my 3 GPU's are able to fit on the board itself, with a slot gap in between them, but if i needed to add more GPU's it would not be able to fit all the cards inside this is where the riser cables will come into play. these are usually around 200 - 400 bucks but because there is so much demand for these PrimeABGB gave me a price of Rs. 1600/- for a single riser cable. So don't waste money on these unless you have to.. if you have the basic knowledge on how to solder you can easily create the riser yourself.
UNpowered-Riser-2.jpg

I opted to create my own in Aluminum after look at images on the internet, I found this design to be the simplest and most effective.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuna52S-kAyAo_rn0NLvuJM-pELqWUCIxT8Jeq9xU6Xqcgsg82VQ

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or the Talent to do so, I messed up the size, then had to add a few extra inches to all, After 3 days of working on the frame this is what i was able to come up with. now that i have the exact size I can just give it to a shop and get it made. The material cost me 1000 Rs. cut to the sizes.

IMG-20140114-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20140116-WA0003.jpg

Now that you have everything you need you can now begin to assemble your mining rig, I am sure all of you know how to assemble & Install Windows / Linux OS so i am not going to go through that in detail. You will need to setup on a open test bench, test & benchmark the entire system with single cards as well so you can be sure that there are no issues with any of the components.

BIOS Settings

After you have installed Windows / Linux, We want to ensure that the system only consumes power it has too and not waste on anything else. Go into BIOS & disable components that we don't have any use of. Also ensure (in this case) AMD Cool & Quiet is enabled.

Disable OnBoard Audio, Serial, Firewire, eSata and even USB 3.0, since the system will be running 24/7 i am sure it will add up quickly, so saving a little bit of power will help us a lot.

Change Power states so the system turns itself on after a power failure, this way if you don't have a power switch on your motherboard, you will not have to go and manually turn on the system.

Windows Settings

Disable Sleep
Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Put the computer to sleep = Never > Save Changes
2. Automatic Logon
I use Windows 8 Manager, but it can be easily setup, if you create a user without password & have no other user configured, windows will login to desktop automatically.
3. Install the latest AMD Catalyst Drivers & App SDK
There were some issues caused by the catalyst drivers when mining but they seem to have been fixed, so download the latest from AMD's Website.

Important: Windows will disable the graphics card if a monitor is not plugged in to save power. to prevent this you may have to create dummy plugs and attach them to the GPU's, which will prevent windows from turning them off.
How to create Dummy Plugs

UnderClocking (optional)
This is completely optional, If you have GPUs that are unlocked, like the XFX R9 280X, then this is where we can use MSI Afterburner software to undervolt and underclock the GPU to be as efficient as possible when mining. This will take a lot of time getting it right but the end result will be good mining speeds & low power consumption.

I have not yet experimented on this once i do, I will have more to say.

Remote Control

Since the system will not have any Monitors, Keyboard or Mouse connected you need to setup a remote control software which you can use to remote into and work on if you have to.
The easiest option is to enable Remote Desktop within windows, Right Click My Computers, Properties, Remote Settings, Allow remote Connections to this computer, uncheck Network Level Authentication if you have Windows Vista & earlier on the host computer.
You can also opt for 3rd party softwares there are plenty of options, UltraVNC, tightVNC, Ammyy Admin, Team Viewer, LogMeIn etc.

Now lets get on to the main event.

Where to start:
Well first off, you will have to become a member of a mining pool, as if you do it alone it will not be profitable at first & it will depend on your luck, you can get more than 30 coins a month or no coins at all when you do it alone. so we become a member of a mining pool where the coins found are shared with each of the members that worked on that particular block.

I am a member of WeMineLTC, mainly because of no transaction fees. Once you sign up, the first thing you will need to do is setup your PIN and if you want 2-factor authentication with Google.
Once you have done that you will have to create a Worker for mining. Workers are users that you will need to connect to the mining pool via the mining client.
Their IRC chat is good & the guys are very helpful so you can ask them any questions related to the site & they will respond.

Mining Software
There are a few different options but i am only going to show you 2 of them. CGMiner (recommended), GUIMiner.

CGMiner is DOS based, it will give you the most stable environment for mining.
CGMiner-1.png

GUIMiner is a just that a graphical user interface, but the backend of it is CGMiner.
ScryptGuiMinerPic.png

Download: GUIMiner-Scrypt

To me CGMiner was better and most stable and gave me better speeds than GUIMiner.

Installing CGMiner

Download: http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/3.9/

Download & Extract the zip file for windows (tar for Linux).
Once extracted to a folder goto WeMineLTC and download the .bat file for you worker by clicking on Generate .bat file.
Place the .bat file in the CGMiner folder. you can edit the .bat file according to the setting you find on the Litecoin Mining Hardware Comparison page

e.g. On the page, Asus R9 280X shows the setting as -I 13 -g 2 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 8192, this i placed at the end of my .bat file and thats all we need to do. You can now run it to test the Mining Speed, Temperatures etc

-i < Intensity ranges from 8 - 20
-g < GPU Threads
-w < Worksize usually 256
-thread-concurrency < varies from GPU to GPU, check the Mining hardware comparison page for exact settings for your card.

Configure CGMiner to start Automatically

Since I don't want to login everytime i have restart the rig, we'd want cgminer to start automatically when the system is turned on. The simplest option is to create a shortcut of the .bat file & place it in the Startup folder in, Start Menu> All Programs> Startup.

Optimization

You will have to play with the settings of CGMiner to find what best suits your graphics card, most of these can be done from within CGMiner itself. Keep an eye on the GPU Temps when you are tinkering with the settings, as you do not want to overheat the card & make the system crash.

Build Images:

20140116_164510.jpg

using ziptie to clamp down everything, so it does not move around.

20140116_164528.jpg

20140116_165508.jpg

Back view - you can see there is a slight bend in the motherboard. but that is due to the card being heavy on that side and the other side not yet tighten.
20140116_165448.jpg

Very minimal bend to the board.

20140116_175051.jpg

Finished Product.
20140116_175058.jpg

20140116_175129.jpg

Found a nice way to mount the SSD :)

20140116_175143.jpg

Doing cable management.

20140116_175245.jpg

Top view of that skinny little AMD CPU with heatsink and 3 beast Asus graphics card.

Cooling

The GPU's are going to get quite hot, so you need to do something to maintain the temperature for proper 24/7 if you have the budget I would suggest a full custom Liquid cooling, as that will give you the best overclocking headroom to get higher Hash rates from the cards.

I don't have the budget right now so i am going for a Air Cooled setup. I have added 2 200MM fans on either sides & 2 140 MM fans on top of the cards. There is about a 5 degree difference by adding the top 2 140mm fans.

20140117_133638.jpg

20140117_133717.jpg

20140117_133803.jpg
20140117_133803.jpg

With these fans I am now able to mine 24/7 @ 2.040 Mh/s with temps of 77, 78 & 78 degrees on each of these cards.

Power Consumption
This will be your only major expense each month. You can expect around 2K for each card running 24/7 in electric bill which would equate to around 6 - 7K + Taxes.

My mining rig at full load is consuming around 800Watts.
20140117_130204.jpg

Internet
You don't need high speed internet here. the mining software will get a block from the server & then work on it & send the found shares back to the server, so even a 512 KB connection would be enough.

So lets get down to numbers

Total cost of the components : Rs. 1,11,000 approx
Chassis : Rs. 1000/-

Mining Speed ~ 2 Mh/s (1900 Khash/s)
CGMiner-Temps.png

Approximate LTC / Month based on current difficulty = 15.35 LTC

Current price per USD / LTC = $24

Estimated income after ~5% transaction charges = Rs. 21000/-

Estimated Electricity consumption per hour = 1 KW
Estimated Electricity consumption per day = 24 KW
Estimated Electricity consumption per month = 720 KW
Estimated Electricity Bill per month = Rs. 8000/-

Total Profit per month = 13000/-

Converting Coins to INR

I would suggest you hold on to the coins you make unless its an emergency & you want to widthdraw all or part of it. Once you have enough coins / want to transfer them, You will first need to convert it to BitCoins (as of now its necessary, no exchange give you direct LTC to USD)

To convert ALTCoins to Bitcoin

You need an exchange to convert them. there are a few exchanges you can use I recommend BTC-E
https://btc-e.com/exchange/ltc_usd
Register
Registration.png

Once you register you go into profile & click on Funds and click on the deposit button next to any of the coins you are trying to deposit. This will generate a deposit Address at the bottom, where you can transfer
deposit.png

Once the coins are transfered from your mining pool to the exchange you can give sell order.
BTCe.png

p.s. you can also buy coins if you want to trade.
From here is where it gets a bit complicated.
Now the exchange can itself give you the coins converted to USD but there is a minimum limit of $500. You can then send this amount to Paypal and you know the rest.

if you are unable to reach the $500 requirement you can either wait for it or you can use another source to transfer the amount to you.
The company is called Virwox.
2014_01_18_13_23_37_Withdraw_Funds.png

Like BTC-E Virwox is a exchange but it does not accept any AltCoins so you will have to use BTC-E to convert to BitCoins and then transfer to your Virwox BitCoin Address.

PayPal does not take it lightly to CryptoCurrencies so it does not allow you to convert Bitcoins to USD as Paypal will then ban you and the company from where you got the money from. So Virwox has to convert the Bitcoins to SLL (Linden dollar) and then to USD which you can widthdraw to Paypal.

2014_01_18_13_29_04_Withdraw_Funds.jpg

Once you have balance in you Virwox account you can widthdraw to paypal or Skrill.

Attachments

• mining.jpg
    mining.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 978
Last edited by a moderator:
It could also be poor quality PCIE raisers, which have burnt as they cant take the load of the power required to run the cards. I still think you should run the cards directly off the board and see if they work fine and the lines are not there. I am afraid those raisers will probably end up killing your cards and a burn sign is not what you want on the card as then RMA is out of the question.

Should be getting my 6990 today and am planning to run one of the multipools. Does that make sense? I like wafflepool for now. Or should I stick with LTC?

Also would need help on setting up cgminer, as I have never used this before.

@mav2000

All my cards are fine & they work 100% no issues there... Its my motherboard Asus one that i bought that had issues, it would not post and when it did it was not stable.
The Riser was tested on another powersupply (coolermaster) with the same graphics cards on the same PCI E port and it worked fine, I had ran 30 minutes of Burn in Test on Kombuster.
as soon as i switched the Power supply to seasonic & turned on the system, the same graphic card on the same PCI E slot on the same riser got burnt. So i ended up having 2 burnt risers (both were connected to the seasonic PSU) 2 PCIE slots and gratefully no GPU damage.

if you run Multipools you will get lower hashrate that what you should get. instead i would suggest you do join that pool but manually switch the address/ port when you want to switch. LTC is going down, mining the most profitable coin is the better option.

@mav2000

All my cards are fine & they work 100% no issues there... Its my motherboard Asus one that i bought that had issues, it would not post and when it did it was not stable.
The Riser was tested on another powersupply (coolermaster) with the same graphics cards on the same PCI E port and it worked fine, I had ran 30 minutes of Burn in Test on Kombuster.
as soon as i switched the Power supply to seasonic & turned on the system, the same graphic card on the same PCI E slot on the same riser got burnt. So i ended up having 2 burnt risers (both were connected to the seasonic PSU) 2 PCIE slots and gratefully no GPU damage.

if you run Multipools you will get lower hashrate that what you should get. instead i would suggest you do join that pool but manually switch the address/ port when you want to switch. LTC is going down, mining the most profitable coin is the better option.
Hmmm… funny, but since u are there you are the best judge of what the issue is. Anyway need help setting up the software side of things. I am unable to get cgminer going. Any guide for it?

Hmmm… funny, but since u are there you are the best judge of what the issue is. Anyway need help setting up the software side of things. I am unable to get cgminer going. Any guide for it?

what pool are you using? They will usually have a setup page. For GPU mining cgminer version should be 3.7.2 and below.
The bare minimum requirement is "server name/port", "username" and "password".
check this page to get started.
https://www.wemineltc.com/gettingstarted

A very useful option while testing is "Intensity". Range is 8-20 and while testing, keep it at 13 so that the system is responsive. You can modify the options while cgminer is running, check the readme file for details. Also read the scrypt readme and GPU reamde for finetuning/OC options. The default cgminer display will show temp/fan speed and other relevant details which you will need while finetuning. You can also use 3rd party tools to monitor these. MSI Afterburner is used for modifying voltages.

further reading
http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmin...a_some_scrypt_mining_tips_yes_you_do_need_to/

list of options for various cards and their hashrates. there is only 1 6990 and it uses bfgminer but you can use other cards' settings.
https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

Can I start with 7770 gfx card?

I am a newbie in this
have sign up with 50btc.com but on the mining page it shows Your have no blocks.
@Soyab0007
1. 50btc.com is for BitCoin Mining. Bitcoin mining is not at all profitable with GPU's you will only make -5$ per day burning electricity. We mine AltCoins based on Scrypt, like DogeCoin, LiteCoin, Feathercoin etc. etc.
2. For a 7770 you can expect anywhere from 130 to 200 KHash/s speed if you are using CGminer use the below setting
Code:
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o poolname: port -u workername -p password -I 13 -g 1 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 8000
you can then slowly increase intensity till a point you reach a temperature you are comfortable with.

What tips @pr0ing's gave above applies to you too.

@mav2000 what problems are you facing with CGMiner?[DOUBLEPOST=1391499405][/DOUBLEPOST]
what pool are you using? They will usually have a setup page. For GPU mining cgminer version should be 3.7.2 and below.

CGMiner 3.5.0 works best no need to go any higher than that.

I soo want to mine....But am too scared to make that kind of investment (1L) and the power bills are scary too....
Awesome that you are doing it....

I soo want to mine....But am too scared to make that kind of investment (1L) and the power bills are scary too....
Awesome that you are doing it....

Same here. I can easily make more in my line of business than I would make while mining, but it's the excitement of building a new rig that is tempting me to do this. Basically I am just trying to justify building such an expensive rig to myself.

@mav200, I'm sure you already know this but just fyi, anything above 3.7.2 u cant mine scrypt. And its the smallest setting that would cause the biggest headache, do post a screenshot of the error as it'd help pinpoint the issue easily.

@JMP, Let's say you invest 1.2L [assuming you get atleast 3 280X] then you can bet the farm that you'll take back your investment in 3-4 months at the outside, even after factoring in the power. After that every penny you earn is pure profit. The best thing is if its get overwhelming for you then u can simply sell off the components and incur around 20% loss and say "hey i gave my best", but thats just the worst case scenario.

@aasimenator, By that logic the seasonic should've burned that other risers too when it was working. May be its the shorting of the black and green pins thats causing the issue because according to you it was working properly. The inverse is that the PSU burned your mobo and you missed it, which again defies logic because its just too big to miss out on. So try using the Seasonic as the major PSU and short the pins of coolermaster psu and check it out once.

I've almost finalized my build, ordered a few stuff. Will keep you guys updated on how it progresses.

@memnom
I did a lot of troubleshooting and that's how i came to that conclusion. I would say that i am 100% sure that seasonic PSU was never even working... remember when i first built this new rig i was facing stability issues with windows crashing on me.... randomly freezing, which made me point out to my GPU which infact was running stable on my RM 1000 PSU.

Anyways here is an update. I gave seasonic PSU for RMA along with the ASUS Motherboard, But was told that i should first contact ASUS Support and get them to look into the problem and that they would give me a quicker response than directly sending it for RMA. So i have submitted a technical query on ASUS's Website. with RMA time around 10 - 15 days I didn't want to wait that long so i purchased a new motherboard & Power supply so i could continue mining.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200Watts

Testing and installation in process.
IMG_20140204_WA0000.jpg

Once i get the Seasonic PSU & Asus Motherboard from RMA i will sell them on TE.

Last edited:
Firstly, thank you @aasimenator for this thread. Learnt a lot!

I'm considering upgrading my gaming PC to a gaming/mining rig. Won't be mining full time 24/7 but i'm thinking i'll find some middle ground.
I have a few queries for you guys.

My current rig is -
AMD FX 8350
Seasonic 850W PSU (Bronze)
Nvidia GTX 660 x 2 SLI
NZXT Phantom 630
Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Cuda miner is giving me very low hashrates - about 160-170 kH/s for each card. First thing's first I need to get AMD.

I'm considering upgrading to a R9 280x(x2) or R9 290(x2). My only concern against R9 290 is the heat and possible performance degradation, @aasimenator - How are your R9 290's running?

My other question is regarding income tax. Assuming I actually do make some money is it required to declare this in our income tax? I'm guessing it is, but just wanted to be sure.

@dovakhiin
Welcome!

I would say there is definitely a performance impact on the R9 290's based on the temperature you can maintain it at. at 75 C i can mine on my ASUS R9 290 @ 830 KHash/s but as soon as the temps rise to 85 - 89 C the rate is dropped to around 770 Khash/s

Since i have 3 R9 290's I would suggest you go with a non reference designed GPU Like the one i have "Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X" this has sapphire's own cooler so it maintains the temperature pretty well, and gives me a hash rate of around 850 Khash/s when tweaked correctly, its always around 10 C lower than the reference Asus R9 290, I am pretty sure Asus's R9 290 DCU II are coming soon. but if you can get Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X its the best buy right now.

on the 280x front I only have Asus R9 280x DCU II and all 4 of them have been quite and stable with 24/7 mining so i would not recommend anything else.

Income Tax off course you will have to declare / pay, Anything you earn is taxable unless your total income per year is under 3 lacs i think.

Just found out a curious thing today: If i run cgminer with GPU-z monitoring all the time i get around 720KH/s avg, however if i run cgminer without GPU-z monitoring all the time then it gives 735KH/s. More testing needs to be done.

@memnom never used GPU-z with CGMiner so cannot comment on that..

Update:

After working on the Mining rigs since Saturday evening I finally have a finished setup. It has been stable for over 24 hours now and i will leave it at that for the next 24 hours after which i will begin my tweaking (kala-kandi) to gain more Khash/s

20140205_124630_1.jpg

At stock i am getting a total of 4110 Khash/s right now from all 6. I wan to reach 4500 Khash/s[DOUBLEPOST=1391613952][/DOUBLEPOST]reached 4500 Khash/s

Now i need to add a fan to the one GPU thats touching 90 C

Last edited by a moderator:
@Soyab0007: The Bitcoin / Litecoin Wallet? There are torrent files from verified source, do download them as they download 2-3x the speed then you can just add them in the %appdata%/Bitcoin folder and be done with it.

@Soyab0007 yes i cannot see it on their site either here is the one i have. It uploaded to my site. below is the link
http://www.wackytechtips.com/downloads/cgminer-3.5.0-windows.zip[DOUBLEPOST=1391763129][/DOUBLEPOST]For those looking to build their first Mining rig, and reduce the cost of the system, here is a great deal

http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/intel-g620-gigabyte-h61m-2gbram.156386/

Motherboard: GigaByte H61M can take upto 4 Graphics cards, 1 on 16x risers & 3 on 1x to 16x risers
CPU: Intel G620
Memory: 2GB
Asking Price: 5k
The combo is good enough for Ubuntu / Xubuntu setup.

buy 4 R9 270x and a 800Watts PSU to make a 1500 KHash Mining Rig

Last edited:
@Soyab0007 yes i cannot see it on their site either here is the one i have. It uploaded to my site. below is the link
http://www.wackytechtips.com/downloads/cgminer-3.5.0-windows.zip[DOUBLEPOST=1391763129][/DOUBLEPOST]For those looking to build their first Mining rig, and reduce the cost of the system, here is a great deal

http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/intel-g620-gigabyte-h61m-2gbram.156386/

Motherboard: GigaByte H61M can take upto 4 Graphics cards, 1 on 16x risers & 3 on 1x to 16x risers
CPU: Intel G620
Memory: 2GB
Asking Price: 5k
The combo is good enough for Ubuntu / Xubuntu setup.

buy 4 R9 270x and a 800Watts PSU to make a 1500 KHash Mining Rig

There is only 1 PCI x16 slot
how come 4 gfx card can fit in it?

Back