Storage Solutions Seagate 7200.14 , WD Caviar Black or WD caviar Blue, which one to use as system disk?

lokeshv

Disciple
Hello all,

dropped SSD plan and looking for new system HDD, have select three options after reading different post on this wonderful forum.

so which one i should buy ?

for me relaiablity is must other things comes later (speed,size etc), will prefer 1 TB one is possible.

so please post your opinions..

Thanks in advance.

Go for a Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4800/-; Seagate has updated its limited warranty cover to 2 years since date of purchase (register the product). If this is not available then the Western Digital Blue edition 1TB ~5000/- is what you should aim for; the Black edition just doesn't justify its price premium in today's SSD infested world.

Why did you drop the idea of an SSD?

Go for a Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4800/-; Seagate has updated its limited warranty cover to 2 years since date of purchase (register the product). If this is not available then the Western Digital Blue edition 1TB ~5000/- is what you should aim for; the Black edition just doesn't justify its price premium in today's SSD infested world.

Why did you drop the idea of an SSD?

Actaully different people have suggested against SSD reliability, there are firmware updates etc. i am not the who reinstall OS frequently , i use linux and just keep updating it, thats why i say HDD should be Reliable first than comes other things for me.

will check local market about segate warranty,

actually i am very inclined for WD black, as net is full of good reviews and everyone is suggesting WD black as relaible drive. and comes with 5 year warranty, is it really not worth going for WD black ?

Thanks for quick reply,

WD black is very reliable & heavy duty HDD. only one thing should be kept in mind that these HDD's becomes very hot while running, so unless you've a proper cooling cabinet, don't worry. but its prices are also on higher side, 4200/- for 500GB & 5900/- for 1TB.

Actaully different people have suggested against SSD reliability, there are firmware updates etc. i am not the who reinstall OS frequently , i use linux and just keep updating it, thats why i say HDD should be Reliable first than comes other things for me.

will check local market about segate warranty,

actually i am very inclined for WD black, as net is full of good reviews and everyone is suggesting WD black as relaible drive. and comes with 5 year warranty, is it really not worth going for WD black ?

Thanks for quick reply,

That is true, but I think SSD's will have continuous firmware updates even in the future thanks to the architecture / technology they are designed around. As you are a Linux user I do agree you might have problems finding a working firmware so it it a wise decision in that light.

A Western Digital Black edition 1TB drive will lighten your wallet by ~7500/- quid while the slightly more pedestrian offerings like the Blue edition and Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB drives are coming to you for ~5000/-. So it is really your call, do you want to pay a ~2500/- premium for extra warranty as the real-world performance of these drives is pretty much the same.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

WD black is very reliable & heavy duty HDD. only one thing should be kept in mind that these HDD's becomes very hot while running, so unless you've a proper cooling cabinet, don't worry. but its prices are also on higher side, 4200/- for 500GB & 5900/- for 1TB.

It is ~7500/- these days.

Real world performance of these drives is pretty much the same as any other competing 7200RPM drives only real advantage is the long warranty cover.

That is true, but I think SSD's will have continuous firmware updates even in the future thanks to the architecture / technology they are designed around. As you are a Linux user I do agree you might have problems finding a working firmware so it it a wise decision in that light.

A Western Digital Black edition 1TB drive will lighten your wallet by ~7500/- quid while the slightly more pedestrian offerings like the Blue edition and Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB drives are coming to you for ~5000/-. So it is really your call, do you want to pay a ~2500/- premium for extra warranty as the real-world performance of these drives is pretty much the same.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

It is ~7500/- these days.

Real world performance of these drives is pretty much the same as any other competing 7200RPM drives only real advantage is the long warranty cover.

Thanks again for info, one last question, would you say WD Black will be more reliable than WD Blue or Seagate 7200.14 ?

Thanks again for info, one last question, would you say WD Black will be more reliable than WD Blue or Seagate 7200.14 ?

No, why you ask. The answer is motivated by the fact that all three are mechanical drives made of pretty much similar components (maybe the Black edition components have higher tolerances) but there is no guarantee they are giving you.

To be appraised about the health of your drive, it is best that you use a S.M.A.R.T. monitoring disc application.

I have seen all stripes of drives fail -- Seagate internals (Barracuda 7200.11 / 10 generation), Western Digital internals (mostly Green drives, the odd Blue / Black edition). Almost all external drives --> Seagate, Western Digital, never seen iOmega and Transcend pieces die though. They can happen suddenly OR gradually over time so I reiterate there is no guarantee that the Black edition will last and the cheaper drives will not.

Hope this answers your query.

Where are you getting the 1 TB black for 5900 bro? :scared14: please mention the link. Need to buy two of them :(

Last i checked street price in bangalore was 6800 including 5% vat at per with flipkart price. If you are getting it for 5900 in bhillai just a word of caution - Check the warranty via the serial number online before you buy- it should be 5 years. Many retailers are selling refurb drives with less warranty at less price. Second thing to check is if the drive is a 32mb cache or 64mb. The 32mb one is cheaper.

Where are you getting the 1 TB black for 5900 bro? :scared14: please mention the link. Need to buy two of them :(

Last i checked street price in bangalore was 6800 including 5% vat at per with flipkart price. If you are getting it for 5900 in bhillai just a word of caution - Check the warranty via the serial number online before you buy- it should be 5 years. Many retailers are selling refurb drives with less warranty at less price. Second thing to check is if the drive is a 32mb cache or 64mb. The 32mb one is cheaper.

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of this fact, will check & update..

Nope, 3 yrs. WD Caviar Blue has 3, WD blue has 2. (all retail kit). WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations

WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations

Depends on which sub-family you get, read the next few drives below it. All have 2 years warranty.

It is Wester Digital Caviar Blue edition that gets 3 years cover, standard WD Blue edition gets ~2 years.

Most drives in the retail channel are the latter not the former.

Plus the worst aspect is that the after sales shipping partners with Western Digital India are absolutely the cheapest guys they can grab, I have had friends waiting for ~1 -->1[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] months for their refurbished RMA drives. In Seagate the onus is one you and the turn around time no greater than 3 weeks for internal drives.

That's what I wrote just above ;)

This may be an issue though.

Yeah impatient me =].

Another thing is none of the retailers, online OR local seem to stock these Blue drives (at-least this is the case here in Delhi), in Bangalore the Western Digital Caviar Blue's were dime a dozen.

And most Western Digital drives on flipkart are from Green edition line OR the AV-GP lineup, the only alternative to these is a very pricey Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB ~6800/- which is I feel too much of a premium for just an extended warranty cover and no tangible benefit in real-world performance.

checked locally in WD only green is available, one retailer mentioned his next shipement coming tommorow so he might get black edition, going tomm to local market.

and yes Seagate has increased warranty to two years,

any place where from i can order this Caviar Blue edition with 3 year warranty ?

Thanks,

any place where from i can order this Caviar Blue edition with 3 year warranty ?

Here you go Lokesh --> Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive.

The site has not been updated and shows both the Labour and Parts Warranty as 2 years, whilst the Western Digital support page clearly states it has a 3 year cover --> WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations.

Hope this helps. Cheerio!

Back