Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

You also need to set the gateway thats why you are not able to access internet once you set a static ip.

If you have the serial cable you can change it back to dhcp or take the usb drive, mount it on another machine and edit the /etc/network/interface file :)

@archat68: just unplug the drive, allowing the dockstar to boot into the original Pogoplug Linux install. You should be able to SSH into it. Plug the USB drive back in, mount it, and manually edit the interfaces file as required :)

This is my /etc/network/interfaces file

iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.2.10

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.2.1

What should be the setting if I want to go back to DHCP?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

OK managed to start DHCP again.

But tell me how to set up static ip. Is the above settings o.k?

babhishek said:
@checksum - make it two if possible , ill pick one up...

:D
Got a quote of 2710 for it. I'm also considering the guruplug now. Its is costly at around 6500 bucks, but seems to have far better hardware.

How much does it costs ? and does it supports use of proxy ? Would i need to use pendrives to store data heard it only supports FAT32

Gaurish said:
yes, simple copy paste would work,but you got to install the grub again.
Actually I just copied the contents using cp -ap and it worked just like that. I didn't make any other changes.

archat68 - Try setting the IP using webmin, thats what I usually do and it works fine.

Checksum - Don't go for the GuruPlug + now, as of now it has excessive heating issues and they will be modifying it with an extra fan etc. Wait for the reviews. And if you are ordering from Globalscale be ready to wait 2-3 months for it to be shipped! lol :p

The easiest way to transfer installation from USB stick to HDD is to use Acronis True image , take a backup of the USB drive and restore it to the HDD. Just did it and working fine.

Source: Jeff's forum

Paid already... :S

varkey.. good deal is it i hope???... new one...

but i dont understand why other lisitngs are there for upto 6k .. :S...

varkey said:
2k All Inclusive. If you can get the Vodafone Wednesday coupon from someone, you can get it for 1.5k :)
I ordered it for 1650, bought a vodafone coupon for 150 from a TE member, 1500 +150 = 1650

Got the Dock nearly after month of ordering, stupid ICC guys misplaced my packet:mad: Installed Debian but didn't not remove pogoplug.currently boots only with PenDrive. currently running same IRC session from past 3days. Works pretty well:D

No need to remove pogoplug. All of us use with pen drive, external HDD only. Internal space too low to install many programs if needed, + higher risk of bricking.

THis way is best, n u can also boot back into pogoplug if required.

Back