Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
Finally! used a 160Gb HDD and installed debian on the dockstar. Webmin and transmission installed. Will configure both tomorrow. Everything seems to be running ok :)
EDIT: By the way Varkey, I assume you are using NTFS-3G for RW NTFS support? Did you also configure an automount entry in fstab? I was reading somewhere that they dont recommend doing this as in case of any issues with the NTFS partition, the whole OS will NOT boot. Maybe thats what happended the last time? :)

varkey

Skilled
Sep 8, 2006
Bengaluru / Cochin
www.varkey.in
techie_007 - Congrats. :-D
Yes I am using ntfs-3g itself but used webmin to mount it automatically. I didn't find the entry in fstab. Anyway only the os drive had issues cause after running fsck on that drive it booted fine. Anyway with the new uboot its more stable, and never had any booting issue after that.
m-jeri - I'm still using ntfs. Write speeds are better now. 9 MB/s

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
thats good... then i am intd on this again.. hehehhehe...

Will read the entire thread this time.. :S

u using torrents or RS ??

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
@varkey

few doubts..

so these are the steps to follow right?

1. Install debian (we need to pulg in a usb stick r8? or NAND? and can we use the second USB port for connecting a USB hub?)
2. instructions to prevent it from booting into the Pogoplug instal
3. installed transmission also, everything working fine, webui is great
4. webmin

so the default File system is ext3 r8?? where do i switch to ntfs?

and installing samba.. is that also in the usb stick?

and whats up with the serial cable?? whats its use? isnt the link u gave for mobiles??..

So in short the USB stick/HDD should be in correct port and the other port can be used for USB hubs?

Anyways i am getting it at 2.7k ... :(...

can anyone purchase one for me in cheaper rate?? will transfer before hand..

varkey

Skilled
Sep 8, 2006
Bengaluru / Cochin
www.varkey.in
m-jeri -

1. Yes the debian OS will be in the usb drive or can be installed in the hard disk you use for downloads.

Internally a usb hub is already used. Anyway there are total 4 usb ports which can be used.

2. The new uboot fixes all those issues. Now it will boot into debian directly without any problems.

The OS file system will be anyway ext2/3. Its only the data partition which you can use ntfs if you want.

The serial cable is used for viewing the boot process, check the links posted in previous posts and you'll know how to use it.

As I said the new uboot fixes all boot issues and now the pendrive can be connected in any port.

techie_007 - I think you can use a tunefs command to change to ext3. I'm using an ext3 formatted partition now. You also need to change the filesystem type in the uboot environment.

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
hmm.. okay.

Anyways i am getting one.. 2.7k .. BROKE-ASS !!!!...

So all i need to have is a ext3 root partition. and the rest can be NTFS..cool. we can use a Seagte Go Drive itself right?. so that the top usb port is taken. :)

and one more thing.

I plan to connect a USB hub to one of the USB ports and connect my externals to the HUB. and share it across the network.

whats the read write speeds then.??.. and its possible r8?...

and.. have u tried running a print server??..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

thos icc folks only giving EFT option. No ebay listing.. wtf?

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
err... yeas.. :S..

thats why i need a USB hub to be connected to this.. :S

anyways those icc folks only giving EFT option. No ebay listing.. wtf?

varkey

Skilled
Sep 8, 2006
Bengaluru / Cochin
www.varkey.in
m-jeri said:
hmm.. okay.

Anyways i am getting one.. 2.7k .. BROKE-ASS !!!!...

So all i need to have is a ext3 root partition. and the rest can be NTFS..cool. we can use a Seagte Go Drive itself right?. so that the top usb port is taken. :)

and one more thing.

I plan to connect a USB hub to one of the USB ports and connect my externals to the HUB. and share it across the network.
whats the read write speeds then.??.. and its possible r8?...

and.. have u tried running a print server??..

thos icc folks only giving EFT option. No ebay listing.. wtf?
Yes if using a Freeagent Go drive, you can use the hard disk on the top slot itself :) I'm not sure if connecting another USB hub to the internal hub will work, you can try once you get it :p
I haven't tested the network transfer speeds yet.

Since its a proper debian installation, you should be able to configure it as a print server pretty easily :)

No eBay listing from now? Thats sad! :(

techie_007 said:
@varkey: uboot changes too? I will stick to ext2 for now then :) Any big disadvantages of using ext2 instead of 3?

Yes you need to change the fstype uboot variable from ext2 to ext3 using the fw_setenv command otherwise it will be mounted as ext2 in Debian. Not sure about the disadvantages, but ext2 should be fine too.

tech.addict

Skilled
Jun 19, 2005
Kolkata
I'll get my Dockstar delivered tomorrow :clap: .

Will need help from all of guys who have already installed Debian on it.
A question - can I use a internal HDD with external casing with the dockstar?
Also can I install any firmware on the internal NAND itself? On the Jeff's forum there is a mention of installing Debian on the internal NAND - can I try it (remember I'm quite inexperienced with linux commands as a whole)?

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
archat68 said:
I'll get my Dockstar delivered tomorrow :clap: .

Will need help from all of guys who have already installed Debian on it.

A question - can I use a internal HDD with external casing with the dockstar?

Also can I install any firmware on the internal NAND itself? On the Jeff's forum there is a mention of installing Debian on the internal NAND - can I try it (remember I'm quite inexperienced with linux commands as a whole)?
I am using a normal 2.5" USB HDD for running Debian.

Larger 3.5" HDD should work, but then power is separate, so I dont know if power outages will be an issue with separate supply.

I recommend staying away from the NAND unless you know what you are doing. Increases risk of bricking many times over. Stick to the HDD. + expansion possibilities for installing programs etc are also less then.

@varkey: Will stick to ext2 for now ;)

raj_ch2002

Disciple
Sep 2, 2005
First, i'll have to say thanks to verkey for this thread on Dockstar, without which i would have missed this beautiful device...Thanks Verkey....

Second, i noticed in Seagate website that they removed it, i believe its no longer available...couldn't get another one now...

Now, Ive been working on it to get the hot plugging to work...

after 2 days of research and experimenting on the device i could manage to get hot plugging working...

with below programs, UDEV and USBMOUNT...

if you modify only FSTAB, it will load all the drives at boot time, but if u configure above programs u can remove any device any time and plug any device any time...

Reactions: 1 person

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
YEsterday i was contacted by the icc world folks.

they say the same device was not listed for 2.7k in ebay before. i gave them my old order number. they didnt contact after that.

They said they will be setting up their own payment gateway soon. so i guess no more ebay.

and it might explain why they charged 3.8k for the last listing i saw.

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
raj_ch2002 said:
First, i'll have to say thanks to verkey for this thread on Dockstar, without which i would have missed this beautiful device...Thanks Verkey....

Second, i noticed in Seagate website that they removed it, i believe its no longer available...couldn't get another one now...

after 2 days of research and experimenting on the device i could manage to get hot plugging working...

if you modify only FSTAB, it will load all the drives at boot time, but if u configure above programs u can remove any device any time and plug any device any time...
I guess they were probably getting rid of leftover stocks before discontinuing it or introducing a newer version.

Good info on the USBMOUNT thing. Will look it up. Thanks.

Arjun

Skilled
Oct 21, 2005
Delhi
raj_ch2002 said:

Its still available FreeAgent DockStar Network Adapter | Seagate