Search indexer

I disabled the search index a couple of weeks back in windows 10 because read somewhere that it used around 2gb of space. Have enabled it in services.msc now and I rebuilt the index many a times as it kept on auto pausing and was not finding the installed or preinstalled system apps. It is searching for my files or folders but it does not search for the windows apps or the installed apps when I type them in the search bar, example paint, ms word etc. Googled about it and it seems that many people are facing the same issues https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ind-apps/8ef14b63-f727-40b9-b59f-699ecb02efef
These are the fixes that everyone is recommending everywhere, this link has just combined them in one post
The fix number 2, enabling cortana one, is the most commonly recommended one

I have followed all methods but nothing helped. Few questions-

This error is gone after running that coratana command in fix # 2 View: https://imgur.com/a/50PcRC6

4. Rebuild Search Index Using Indexing Options>>>> Tried rebuilding this many times but it always get auto paused after indexing some two thousand some files View: https://imgur.com/a/N8RQOpI
Also in the same screenshot check the size of the search index edb file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows it is just 24 mb. Whereas people are reporting the search index edb file to be easily 1gb+

5. Search and Indexing Troubleshooter Tool>>>> Couldn't find this tool anywhere, where is it located exactly?

7. Fix Using Registry Editor>>> Which value needs to be changed, decimal or the hexadecimal one?

9. Restore Default System Display Language>>>> Have only one langauge View: https://imgur.com/a/CIHqyyx
Is this ok?

Besides the above, in task manager, I could see this while indexing got auto paused
View: https://imgur.com/a/V3Sy1HX

And this under background processes
View: https://imgur.com/a/6ifLA04

How to resume the above process?

Edit: The indexing now looks like complete, have restarted pc like twice since last time and the total indexed files are 18k+ but the size of the indexed file is around 125mb now.

I do not have a solution for fixing windows indexing issues but in case it creates problems in the future, I'd suggest you to ditch the windows indexer to index the data files. Index only the application folders. Use Everything from voidtools to index all the files on your system and the external drives.

idx.jpg

I recently installed AtlasOS on my spare pc which is my occasionally used gaming pc along with which it runs some containers. Before that it had windows 10 (stock) and the difference is literally night and day. Most of the stuff works and no hiccups yet found. The search is refined and file explorer is way snappier plus you can customize it to your needs. You can take a look at it too. Saves time in installation as its just a script which requires minimal input and the services can be turned on/off post-install too.

Its basically a debloated windows 10 with some extra steps. All my services run with no problem. I run Tailscale (with Headscale), Immich, Paperless-ngx, Ollama, Jellyfin and other stuffs and its basically rock-solid. It also connects via RDP and Moonlight + Sunshine. Haven't tested SMB yet, but it should run with no problem. It has an active community too.

I do not have a solution for fixing windows indexing issues but in case it creates problems in the future, I'd suggest you to ditch the windows indexer to index the data files. Index only the application folders. Use Everything from voidtools to index all the files on your system and the external drives.

View attachment 195236
My man I have tried everything in the past week but nothing worked. I know I am missing a step or doing something wrong
Index only the application folders
Can you please explain what exactly should I index? I just want say paint, excel, disk management, event viewer etc. to show up and nothing else.
Tried everything, the problem with that is that if I search for say disk management, it doesn't show up. If I search for say excel or word it shows up zillions of files with that name and I will have to manually search up the word/excel icon that I need to open. Any other way?
Update, got a lead I guess, open group policy editor in your system and then head to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search can you plese tell me what is to be enabled here so that the search shows up things like paint, excel, disk management, event viewer etc.?
I recently installed AtlasOS on my spare pc which is my occasionally used gaming pc along with which it runs some containers. Before that it had windows 10 (stock) and the difference is literally night and day. Most of the stuff works and no hiccups yet found. The search is refined and file explorer is way snappier plus you can customize it to your needs. You can take a look at it too. Saves time in installation as its just a script which requires minimal input and the services can be turned on/off post-install too.
A similar option is https://ameliorated.io/ the windows update, will they come directly from MS or will they route through atlas/ameliorated?

Index only the application folders
Can you please explain what exactly should I index? I just want say paint, excel, disk management, event viewer etc. to show up and nothing else.
Just fyi, windows indexing does not index "application folders" by default & it shouldn't need to for windows to show things like installed software names in search which should be covered by default "start menu" location.

Tried everything, the problem with that is that if I search for say disk management, it doesn't show up.
Update, got a lead I guess, open group policy editor in your system and then head to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search can you plese tell me what is to be enabled here so that the search shows up things like paint, excel, disk management, event viewer etc.?
This likely means issue at core windows services level because things like disk management showing up in search results does not depend on indexing. Also, "Search" field has all options set by default to "not configured". If you ever used some "tweak/optimization/privacy" script/tool that might be the reason.

I just want say paint, excel, disk management, event viewer etc. to show up and nothing else.
The picture I posted earlier shows various locations where programs/utilities get installed. Select only these folders for indexing.
1) 'Applications' is on my second drive. You can ignore it or select your own folder if you have any alternative install location.
2) I've selected 'Appdata' under 'Users' folder to access stuff like Python etc. I like to access programs by typing, instead of scrolling through start menu. You can exclude 'Users' folder if you don't have such need.
3) 'System32' on C drive is where you'd find classic windows programs such as 'Paint'.

I just tried typing paint, excel, disk management, event viewer and I get only these programs as the first suggestion. So, I can just type and blindly press enter.

A similar option is https://ameliorated.io/ the windows update, will they come directly from MS or will they route through atlas/ameliorated?
the ameliorated option comes under the three major options available, AtlasOS, ReviOS and Ameliorated Windows. I wanted the lightest and fastest OS to ooze out the performance of my machine and since I didn't really cared about it being the best at usability since it wasn't my daily driver (check the comparison here https://docs.ameliorated.io/playbooks.html). Now to answer your question, you get direct updates from microsoft which can be either enabled or disabled post-install. I have it disabled since the updates annoy me and I don't really care if its not up to date with the updates, since I can reinstall windows anytime I want and the updates may hinder my stability of the system(typical microsoft).

'System32' on C drive is where you'd find classic windows programs such as 'Paint'.
System32 is not indexed by default by windows & searching for paint etc works still fine even after a fresh install of windows. There is something seriously wrong with windows core services if that isn't working.

I'd recommend not to use any of these modified Windows ISOs. Windows is not Linux and you just can't trust these third parties to not pull off shady stuff at their will. The removed parts might end up breaking stuff at times. You never know. Not worth it considering the potential risks.

As for Search Indexing, just disbale Windows Search and install Everything. It's tiny, super duper fast and much more reliable than Windows Search. Zero hit on performance or battery unlike the Windows Indexing.

Download it directly from the developer here: https://www.voidtools.com/

Just fyi, windows indexing does not index "application folders" by default & it shouldn't need to for windows to show things like installed software names in search which should be covered by default "start menu" location.

This likely means issue at core windows services level because things like disk management showing up in search results does not depend on indexing. Also, "Search" field has all options set by default to "not configured". If you ever used some "tweak/optimization/privacy" script/tool that might be the reason.
Windows does index all application folders, just unselect program files and it won't show the installed softwares. I built the search index yesterday and included C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in it, it is now searching for things like paint, calculator etc. but not search for settings, control panel etc. which folder/location to include in the search index?
No core services issue, stupid me stopped and deleted the previous search index as it covered around 2gb+ and I stopped everything related to search like processes etc. turning them back on didn't help. Have a look at this, this link has mentioned all problems related to search index
The picture I posted earlier shows various locations where programs/utilities get installed. Select only these folders for indexing.
1) 'Applications' is on my second drive. You can ignore it or select your own folder if you have any alternative install location.
2) I've selected 'Appdata' under 'Users' folder to access stuff like Python etc. I like to access programs by typing, instead of scrolling through start menu. You can exclude 'Users' folder if you don't have such need.
3) 'System32' on C drive is where you'd find classic windows programs such as 'Paint'.

I just tried typing paint, excel, disk management, event viewer and I get only these programs as the first suggestion. So, I can just type and blindly press enter.
Thanks. I built the search index again yesterday and included C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in it, it is now searching for things like paint, calculator etc. but not searching for wifi, settings, control panel, update etc. which folder/location to include in the search index for these things?
I am also looking to achieve this.
I'd recommend not to use any of these modified Windows ISOs. Windows is not Linux and you just can't trust these third parties to not pull off shady stuff at their will. The removed parts might end up breaking stuff at times. You never know. Not worth it considering the potential risks.

As for Search Indexing, just disbale Windows Search and install Everything. It's tiny, super duper fast and much more reliable than Windows Search. Zero hit on performance or battery unlike the Windows Indexing.

Download it directly from the developer here: https://www.voidtools.com/
Tried everything, the problem with that is that if I search for say disk management, it doesn't show up. If I search for say excel or word it shows up zillions of files with that name and I will have to manually search up the word/excel icon that I need to open. Any other way?

Last edited:
but not searching for wifi, settings, control panel, update etc. which folder/location to include in the search index for these things?

Try adding 'System32' folder.

The other way:
1) Use Windows Indexer for applications only and
2) Everything for rest of the stuff. You can make several databases to include only specific folders or file types for the kind of work you are doing. e.g. I've made separate databases for movies and audiobooks so that if I want to watch something, I don't have to sieve through 50 audio files with similar name as the movie. Everything supports regex too.
3) Download Microsoft Power Toys and checkout "Power Toys Run". It integrates smoothly with Windows. It also has a plugin for Everything.

Windows does index all application folders, just unselect program files and it won't show the installed softwares. I built the search index yesterday and included C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in it, it is now searching for things like paint, calculator etc. but not search for settings, control panel etc. which folder/location to include in the search index?
Any program that is installed on windows by default makes an entry in Start menu--programs so windows doesn't need to index "Program Files" folder. That is why by default on a fresh windows install the index locations already incl start menu but not "Program Files" folder. On my pc the windows indexer only index this location & I get all the results. All the windows system tools & office shortcuts should be here & if not then something deleted them from here.

1714310864699.png

1714310889541.png

1714310965417.png

It is pointless, see my above posted pics.

I think you might benefit from installing powertoys, specifically powertoys run https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/powertoys/run

View attachment 195624
Thanks. Is this similar to Everything? Everything searches for every file when say you type in excel and then you will have to manually select excel somewhere from that list to open microsoft excel whereas in the search bar microsoft excel is the first result. Can you share link for this powertoys?

The other way:
1) Use Windows Indexer for applications only and
2) Everything for rest of the stuff. You can make several databases to include only specific folders or file types for the kind of work you are doing. e.g. I've made separate databases for movies and audiobooks so that if I want to watch something, I don't have to sieve through 50 audio files with similar name as the movie. Everything supports regex too.
3) Download Microsoft Power Toys and checkout "Power Toys Run". It integrates smoothly with Windows. It also has a plugin for Everything.
All folders in windows folder are included in the index including system32, should I deselect every other folder?
Bro having two search bars/apps is a pain in the a$$. Is power toys similar to everything?
I am 100% sure that I am missing something from the points mentioned here
I have rebuilt the indexer a couple of times after the last post but it is searching for things like paint, calculator etc. but not search for settings, control panel etc. including the installed apps like ms office etc.
Any program that is installed on windows by default makes an entry in Start menu--programs so windows doesn't need to index "Program Files" folder. That is why by default on a fresh windows install the index locations already incl start menu but not "Program Files" folder. On my pc the windows indexer only index this location & I get all the results. All the windows system tools & office shortcuts should be here & if not then something deleted them from here.

View attachment 195625

View attachment 195626

View attachment 195628

It is pointless, see my above posted pics.
Bro lets reset, can you just tell me which folders/locations to index? The list of apps in the second screenshot of yours are searchable now, I rebuilt the index again after the last post, but here's the catch I have to type the full name like registry editor, event viewer etc. earlier I just had to type event and it used to show up event viewer. Same thing for example for paint, I need to type it fully for the search bar to show its icon. Coming to the installed apps like Windows word, excel even if the full name is typed nothing shows up just some crappy things like wordicon.exe, wordpad.exe which gives an error that this app can't run on your pc. Any help?

Last edited:
I have rebuilt the indexer a couple of times after the last post but it is searching for things like paint, calculator etc. but not search for settings, control panel etc. including the installed apps like ms office etc.
Did you check my previous post with screenshots of how "start menu" folder should look like & compared with yours? If it is not same then no matter what you do you will not get success in this matter.

All folders in windows folder are included in the index including system32, should I deselect every other folder?
As I mentioned earlier, this is pointless to what you are trying to achieve which is what any normal default windows install can do.

Back