PC Peripherals Seasonic Power Supply fiasco - DOA :(

Bennie

Disciple
Mar 12, 2011
Hi
I bought and paid for a Seasonic Power Supply (along with some other hardware) from www.theITdepot.com on 18 October 2011 and it was delivered via courier around 23 October 2011. Serial number for Power Supply is R1107ACxxxxxxxxx. It is a Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W PSU.
I started assembling my new computer system on 02 Nov 2011. It turned out that the Power Supply wasn't working at all. I immediately contacted the local branch of Tirupati Enterprises www.tirupati.net (Indian importer for Seasonic Power Supplies) at Ludhiana (Punjab) to arrange for a replacement under warranty. The staff there said they cannot test it there and it has to be sent to the Head Office at Kolkata. I gave them the Power Supply and the box packaging that came with it. The Power Supply and box was in as-new condition.
On 08 Nov 2011 I contacted Tirupati at Kolkata and talked to a person called Shorav. He told me that the PSU was physically damaged from the inside and it was not covered by warranty. He asked me that I should have checked the PSU while taking delivery. I told him that even if I have checked the PSU while taking delivery, how can I open it and check the inside while taking delivery ?

It has a seal on it which voids warranty if tampered. I told Shorav that I didnt open it and he should have received the PSU with the seal intact. He agreed.
Now, the only reason I chose Seasonic was because I wanted the best components for my PC, but it has left a sour taste in my mouth so far. The PSU could have been shipped damaged, it could even have been damaged while in transit (from Chennai to Punjab), and now I am being told that this damage wont be covered by warranty.
The PSU was Dead-on-Arrival. My system never powered on. (The other system components are OK because I checked them using someone else's Power Supply.)
I have been asked by Shorav at Tirupati to mail Seasonic and "see what they say".

Have sent an e-mail to Seasonic, Tirupati and TheITDepot.com highlighting my concern....

Anybody has any words of wisdom in such a scenario ? Has anybody experienced a similar situation before ?

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009
You should have photographic evidence to prove your point.
Also for DOA scenarios it is always recommended to replace the psu from the dealer you bought your psu rather than doing the rma.

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
I was in a similar situation once when my M12D 850 arrived DOA (this was around 2 years back). DOA in the sense, the fan would refuse to spin but the power supply worked just fine. Initially I was a bit skeptical if this design wasn't something similar to that of the Seasonic X series wherein the fan wouldn't rotate until a predefined load is drawn from the power supply. But that wasn't the case and I had sent it back to Amarbir, Lynx - the dealer from whom I had purchased the unit. He sent me another unit but it turned out to be DOA again. This time, he insisted that I contact Tirupati Enterprises, to which I promptly did and those guys asked me to ship my faulty unit to their branch at Ahmedabad upon which, they'd send me the replacement. They sent me a replacement from another batch and it worked without issues and it still does. *touchwood*

Turns out that batch was faulty since I recall another member reporting similar issues with the unit. Anyhow I suggest you to contact Seasonic, Taiwan, describe them the problems, that you did not take snaps of the unit before sending it for RMA and you demand a replacement since this was none of your fault (I really hope you did not tamper with the unit!).

Goodluck!

anprav

Disciple
Apr 12, 2011
Not exactly similar to you, but the guys at the ITDEPOT seemed a bit unprofessional to me regarding customer service. This was a minor issue which i experienced some 2 months back when i ordered a logitech c270h webcam which was on discount sale at their website.

During the check out process i had opted for DTDC air courier for which i was charged Rs.45 as shipping to Bangalore but, the package was actually delivered through The professional couriers, the shipping charges in this case being Rs.30. Moreover there was a mix up by the delivery guys and i personally had to collect the consignment from their office. The packing was not so great and the box was squeezed and pressed a lot during the shipping. Fortunately the webcam inside was okay and other contents were intact when checked and it is working fine so far. I had shot an email regarding this and posted a comment on their website as well with no reply or clarification forthcoming from their end.

I did not pursue this matter further since i felt the amount involved (Rs.15) was not worth the time and effort. The main thing here is the unresponsiveness of the people at ITDEPOT, post sale which is a matter of concern.

hhhcliff

Disciple
Dec 19, 2010
^^^wow had a similar issue with itdepot had told them to send by dtdc paid the shipping and all and still they sent it by The professional couriers who asked me to come and collect the stuff from their shop that too after nearly a 2 week delay had ordered 430 elite from them

did you try contacting itdepot about this before sending it for rma what have they got to say???????

amd999

Adept
Nov 17, 2009
these are common scenarios in Indian IT dealers, the same now reflected with online stores.The main Reason is that many vendors does not have any proper DOA/RMA terms & mechanism so that the end user (or even the dealer) can follow these steps, else end user or even the dealer get trapped.Some dealers helps the end user and few ignores the same.

As per Seasonic , there is only one importer/service provider in india, so the decision of the Importer is final unless you start the "War" legally !!!! Yes .ITS TRUE ................

Dowbot

Disciple
Nov 23, 2011
I faced similar problem as the original poster. Purchased Seasonic 520 PSU from ITDepot and the piece arrived with a broken coil inside PSU. I took this issue to their support and they asked me to send pictures first which I did. Later they replied that they can't claim insurance because the damage was internal and asked me to send PSU back to them. Also promised they would immediately dispatch a replacement after I ship me item here and mail the tracking code. I have returned the PSU with my own money and after one week they replied back saying it might take another 10 days to get replacement from distributor. If its an out-of-stock issue I can understand but they say they have to get approval from distributor. Now they don't even reply to my mails regarding other issues. Just a heads up for those who is planning to order from them.

Bennie

Disciple
Mar 12, 2011
OK...took some time, but here is the update and resolution :)

I totally bypassed ITDepot.com for warranty purposes and went directly to importer Tirupati. I thought even if I went via ITDepot.com, they would then have to go thru the imported themselves, thus adding to the turn-around time.

So, after sending the faulty unit back to Tirupati, via their Ludhiana dealer, I also shot off an e-mail to Seasonic at Taiwan, Tirupati Enterprises at Calcutta and Mr. Abhisek, who is Tirupati's CEO. Literally after 5 minutes I received an e-mail back from Mr. Abhishek telling me that they would replace my faulty unit and it would be dispatched the next day.

Sure enough, the next day they dispatched a brand new PSU via courier and I received it within 2-3 days.

So thumbs up to Tirupati for their excellent customer support. Also Mr. Ram at the local Ludhiana (Harnam Nagar) office of Tirupati was very helpful.

Also found thaty Tirupati sell a whole lot of other quality components. Like G.Skill RAM, Antec cabinets etc.

So if you want to buy I would suggest, buy direct from importer - no hassles with RMA etc. Hopefully.

Emperor

Skilled
Jan 12, 2006
Sesonic Taiwan- reply was Lightning fast even for inquiry & registration of product when last time I contact them for & NOW Bennie too confirm for good service :)

Seasonic & Tirupati = Winning Team India :p