Setting up a computer for remote login / download

vint

Disciple
Hi,

I've a spare p4 computer in my home and since no one is quite willing to buy it for a decent price, I'm thinking of using it as a download/file server kind of machine. Now the problem is that, this will not be having a monitor/kb/mouse connected to it. It'll just be powered on and connected to a router through ethernet. Currently it has winxp running on it.

Now how to make a setup such that, I can schedule downloads (torrents/rs) on this machine from my laptop ? Basically how to create a remote login interface that can be accessed from any laptop? I'll also be running TVersity on this to stream content to my PS3. Also, I might use this as a backup machine to store my data when needed. So I will need to copy data to this machine from my laptops as well.

And , how to make it secure ? I don't want anybody to access this machine over the network or from the wifi router since it'll always be connected. ( I hope I'm making sense here (!) )

I don't have any idea regarding this. So I need to know the softwares to be used, the OS etc that needs to run on the server machine. I'm a bit out of touch with Linux, if you can give me a windows based solution, it'll be easy for me.

I have an Atom Box running Ubuntu scheduled to startup at 2 AM, login to internet and start downloading and shutdown at 8 AM. Been running like this for the past 3 months.

I can also ssh into the box while its on and change or install anything. Also torrents are managed through the transmission web ui.

You can use Team Viewer or VNC viewer for this purpose.

Or you can use Remote Desktop feature(Windows in-built feature) for this purpose.

Just activate remote desktop feature on both machines and from your laptop, execute the remote desktop application and then enter username and password of your desktop to login in your desktop from your laptop.

Now you can access your desktop from your laptop.

varkey said:
I have an Atom Box running Ubuntu scheduled to startup at 2 AM, login to internet and start downloading and shutdown at 8 AM. Been running like this for the past 3 months.

I can also ssh into the box while its on and change or install anything. Also torrents are managed through the transmission web ui.

How do you start a machine at a specific time ? :S

All right. Tried it successfully :) But it only does work when you've manually shut down the computer but kept the power on. Which means in case of power cut, the machine doesn't start. :(

^ I have set it to resume the previous power state in case of power failure and also scheduled to start at 2AM. So if the power fails while the machine is ON ie from 2AM to 8 AM, it will power on once the electricity is back otherwise it will remain off.

Hmm. You mean the RTC resume option ?

And what happens if the power goes between 8AM-2AM ?

I'm on the same 500C plan thus interested in the method. And btw, thanks for your previous tips. :)

Back