Severe performance drop in vista 64

buBleZ

Skilled
See my config in the sig. My 3dmark06 score for XP32 bit is ~21K. Crysis benchmark tool @ 1680x1050 high gives avg 37fps.
But in Vista 64 my 3dmark06 score is ~17K and crysis gives a pathetic 27fps.:(
All this with latest catalyst 8.12 installed in both OS. Couple of weeks back I was getting a 3dmark vantage 06 score of ~P10K. But now it is ~6K.
I know vista gaming performance is inferior but not this much is possible. What is wrong in my vista? Plz help me with any solution :huh:

Had experienced a max of 0.5 - 1 k difference between the 3dMark points, nothing as drastic as in ur case mate....try switching the Memory Overlapping option in the BIOS.Also, assuming u have Memtest, have u went through a 2-4 hour test since Vista can really hammer ur sticks where XP runs with no probs(owing to the Superfetch in vista and all i think).

vishalrao said:
This help? -> List of Hotfixes to fix DX10/SLI/GPU/Memory in Gaming - Vista Forums

Maybe its just that 3dmark and Crysis are not optimised for 64 bit Vista...

downloading those patches. But I have sp1 and windows is upto date with updates. Shd I still install them?

Party Monger said:
Stick with 32bit..even i had a bad exp with 64bit..
Yea for games i reboot to 32bit XP. :( hw abt 64bit XP worth it?

alsiladka said:
@buBleZ
Try the benchmarks on a 32 bit Vista

I dont have it. That will be my 4th OS if I install

RedBull said:
Had experienced a max of 0.5 - 1 k difference between the 3dMark points, nothing as drastic as in ur case mate....try switching the Memory Overlapping option in the BIOS.Also, assuming u have Memtest, have u went through a 2-4 hour test since Vista can really hammer ur sticks where XP runs with no probs(owing to the Superfetch in vista and all i think).
You mean run memtest and see for any issues after 4 hrs? what is memory overlapping by the way?

buBleZ said:
downloading those patches. But I have sp1 and windows is upto date with updates. Shd I still install them?

its likely some of those patches are not installed by windows update, they might show up in SP2, so ya, install and see if they help...

SidhuPunjab said:
no more ? Everything worked 2yrs ago too, when I tried on D101GGC. Try it, apply SP2.

XP 64bit had way too many problems with driver issues in my case.

Vista x64 works fine here. Auto update on so maybe the patches do work. Also, since u're getting good results on XP, I doubt memory or any hardware related bottlenecks. Update ur OS and drivers, tweak some of the background service etc and check. Latest drivers don't always mean manna. Sometimes the driver installation isn't perfect. Try a complete re-installation after using driver-clean etc. Check for any program running in the background too.

tried autopatcher.. it installed something something updates. no improvements. tried driver cleanup. Never was able to install the display driver again.

Finally did the universal solution to all windows problems.. Reinstalling.. Now my 3dmark06 and vantage scores back to normal

SidhuPunjab said:
XP x64 is awesome, very stable OS, everything works gr8 :D

If thats your review for XP x64, then you should immediately upgrade to Vista x64. Much much better in terms of driver support, app compatibility and response as compared to XP x64. And if your system has x64 drivers for XP, then they shall be available for Vista too!
Party Monger said:
OMG autopatcher is back..FU microsoft:))

More than an year back!! Works as smooth as before, only you download the hotfixes from your computer for the first time. Then you can carry it around.

Back