Graphic Cards Shall I get GTX 480?

After the fermi disappointment I went to sp road to buy 5870 they have me loads of crap saying financial year is ending no stock is gonna be there for the next to months bla bla and were charging me 24k I also used supra name in one of the shops and he brought the price down
By 200 bucks.at the end got it from media home for 23k including vat and shipping:)hopefully tomorrow will get it.first time moving to the red zone after 10 years of buying there cards:)lets see how it goes .people keep crying that drivers suck.just hope I dont encounter any problem

^^

Hey great buy. Well done. That accelerator will rip on your 1920 x 1080. Regarding drives, download the 10.3s in advance and keep them on your desktop. If you had green drivers before this, remove the using Driver Sweeper, and run CCleaner. Then mount the 10.3s.

Happy 'maxed out' gaming.

asingh said:
^^
Hey great buy. Well done. That accelerator will rip on your 1920 x 1080. Regarding drives, download the 10.3s in advance and keep them on your desktop. If you had green drivers before this, remove the using Driver Sweeper, and run CCleaner. Then mount the 10.3s.

Happy 'maxed out' gaming.

I ll get my 5850 this week.... never tried ati before....used nvidia cards for 6 years...can u plz show me the link to download 10.3s driver...in ATI site all i can find is 10.3 ..not 's' version

D3d driver version is the same as 10.3a. Just updated for CCC and Avivo. Stick with 10.3a.

Post installation your driver version should be similar to what my signature shows.

5870!!!

If you are planning to open a GC, enjoy the time and the joy to take out all those screws. ATi and Nvidia love securing their stock cooler like a chastity belt!!

with the heat and everything, its not worth it, better buy the HD 5870 black ediotion, XXX, or XT or some other factory overclocked version, which will be at par with GTX 480.

Even after using a water block, the card would easily run at temperatures(which is 95 degrees on air cooling) way beyond the max temperatures of HD 5870 on air.(75 degrees on air cooling). The heat does affect the longevity of the card, and you would be stuck with the RMA charade within an year, they will keep on circulating bad cards within customers. Just go red this time. Nvidia, may be next time.

The Sorcerer said:
5870!!!
If you are planning to open a GC, enjoy the time and the joy to take out all those screws. ATi and Nvidia love securing their stock cooler like a chastity belt!!
I've never owned a card which I haven't stripped :p! Usually to clean up the gunk they use liberally. The last victim was a 285 which was stripped twice, first to be clothed with a EK water block and then it's stock cooler when it went to the wifey :). No big deal, just had to loosen a few screws.

Actually I wont bother with ATI 5870 unless you are really curious to strip the card. The stock goop is really good. I didnt get any temp drop with either MX2 or MX3.

I cant wait to see how the 480 handles the indian summer , common sense says that its gonna fall flat on its face.

I really really hope there is a 512 version with improved thermals and clocks. Also i wonder if there will be speculation soon and maybe by the time the 512 gets here ATI will ready the 5890 , it should be around soon unless they dont intend one and are headed for the shrink as soon as they can.

Personally, stuffs are getting smaller-for GPU, ICS and processors so I don't see a really good point to take the hassle for WC(but that's just me).

The stock goop is good no doubt. The fans make you crazy as it sounds like a jet engine when you push the fans to 60-70 percent. I don't know about others, but the sound is good enough to wake your neighbours (yeah somewhat an over-exaggeration but you get my point). I am making this comment because I got a privilege to see couple of msi cards with twin frozr 2 heatsinks. Isn't there a msi 5870 with a twin frozr II heatsink out there? A friend bought a 5770 hawk and I saw a gtx 275 with twin frozr2. Top notch cooler with a lot of heatpipes and 2 of being real thick and the fans didn't make any noise around 60% approx. You're not going to strip the card, all the more reason (IMHO) to look at non-reference models.

^^ Fan noise is something I can't stand much. I've been looking up other builds with a 5870+i7 on a single loop and over-all the temps seem to be fine. Considering I wc more for the silence and low dust inside the cabby over extreme occing, might get a reference shroud and wc it. Thoughts,anyone?

Coming to the silent factor, the loudest component in my setup used to be the 2KVa online UPS I have (running my rig, HTPC and a 40" LCD TV with power to spare :)). I've ordered some silent Scythe 92mm fans to replace the standard Yate loons, so I hope the situation improves.

Pretty much decided on a 5870 now, just waiting for the funds to flow in. No 480 because of the heat+noise.

I agree with Shripad... I stripped my 5770 to replace the TIM, but got hardly 1-2 degrees difference in temps. Which means the stock TIM on 5000 series stock cards is good enough, so unless you're planning to replace the cooler I don't think TIM needs to be changed.

GTX470 is competitor to HD5850 and it eats more power and generates lot more heat. HD5850 is priced currently around 15.5k (ITWares) which is around 7k less. Ironically HD5870 is available for 4k more (26k approx)

Gtx 470 is competitor to 5870 & those result every are pre-beta drivers for GTX470 ,

By the way 470 scores above 5850 in every case & next to it is 5870

Back