Graphic Cards Shall I get GTX 480?

My understanding:

GTX 470 "25% OC" ~ GTX 480

5850 "20% OC" ~ 5870

Now since GTX 470 costs 22K and GTX 480 costs 29K and 5850 costs 16K and 5870 costs 23K its logical to assume that in performance 5850 OC < 5870 < GTX 470 OC < GTX 480

So GTX 470 costs less than a 5870 but performs better when overclocked. Now people will say what about a Oced 5870 well see the 5870 lightning reviews and you will notice that the extra mhz's dont effect the 5870's performance that much and the 5870's current speed is pretty much a sweet spot.

I have ordered a 5870 not because i wanted to but i had to since my SMPS can not handle the power req of a overclocked GTX 470. For people who have enough SMPS power the GTX 470 is a better choice.

^^ Do you realize that a GTX470 has not been able to beat the much cheaper 5850 conclusively let alone 5870. Most review sites have already concluded that the 470 is a flop and any hopes for nVidia rest with the 480. The gap between GTX480 and 470 is much wider relatively than what was between 280 and 260. These chips are already running hot and very dangerously near their max safe temperatures. With a 25% overclock the 470 would probably become a worthless piece of stone and metal before it manages to surpass any other GPU. GTX470 is possibly the worst possible GPU to buy in terms of value for money at the moment.

:eek:hyeah: Its nice to see toolius being around TE!!!

Ignore the fanboys (brand nazis) as they are special type of trolls at the end of the day. Its pretty sad that people are saying anything they want in a forum where facts speak louder than words. On a serious note, hammer should fall over fanboys as they are simply spamming in the name of fanboyism.

As rightfully being in Godwin's Law- “as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.”

Lord Nemesis said:
GTX470 is possibly the worst possible GPU to buy in terms of value for money at the moment.
And it reflects in pre-orders :eek:hyeah::bleh:

3304bb89613b898d.gif

dr.sankhadeep said:
so should i buy gtx 480 by selling my 5870... this is so confusing...

This is exactly what I meant when I said that the wrong talks and baseless claims by fanbois can misguide potential buyers.

@dr.sankhadeep: No doc, there is no reason for you to sell your 5870 and buy GTX480... unless you just want to brag about it, GTX480 is NOT an upgrade from your 5870. At least I won't call 10% performance increase as reason strong enough to call it upgrade, especially when you consider other facts in consideration, like power consumption, heat and price.

heard they are working on some Video bios updates for it ... mainly to increase the fan speed to 70% at start ... but that news is about 5 days old so there might be some changes.

I doubt new GeForce drivers will make a world of difference for the performance of nVidia vs. Radeons. The current ATI drivers have had time to mature, and are extracting optimized power from the red cores. I expect the new nVidia drivers to give 5-8% performance boost, and better fan profiles -- that is about it. Existent users can wait it out, no harm. But if someone is contemplating a GTX480 they should seriously consider what ATI is currently offering. Slightly less performance, much less cost.

@asingh forgot to add much less heat produced although the power drawn even though a lot less not going to translate to huge power savings.

^^

Purposely did not mention heat+power consumption regarding GTX480. It is part of the standard bundle. The consumer pays to get that.........!

I read somewhere that the 480's are pulling soo much power that the PCI-E power wires are getting warm to the touch.

That is nuts...:O

And i cant imagine what will happen to any plastic/rubber parts that are in contact with the heatsink..

From the reviews its pretty evident that the heat sink gets hot enough to burn you ..:(

Unless there is good cable management airflow, i can see some serious issues developing here.

This card is not engineered with the tropics in mind. :(

toolius said:
I read somewhere that the 480's are pulling soo much power that the PCI-E power wires are getting warm to the touch.
That is nuts...:O
And i cant imagine what will happen to any plastic/rubber parts that are in contact with the heatsink..
From the reviews its pretty evident that the get sink gets hot enough to burn you ..:(
Unless there is good cable management airflow, i can see some serious issues developing here.
This card is not engineered with the tropics in mind. :(

TR's review says that the card's heatpipes were hot to the touch "beyond pain threshold" , and that was on an open test bench in much lower ambient temperatures as compared to ours. As elaborate as the cooler seems to be, it appears to be struggling to deal with the copious amounts of heat that thing generates.
Sadly. temperatures are not the only thing going bad for the 400s. From the same article, a 480 based system draws about 100W more power than a 5870 in the same system. Multi-GPU...well... Two idle GTX 480s in SLI draw just 20W less than a Radeon HD 5850 does while running a game. Even with the 5870/5850 being way above the suggested retail at this point, they still make much more sense.

Back