sharing files between wired and a wireless lan

teknicsand

Disciple
hey guys...this is how my setup looks like.i have a linksys wireless router WRT54G V5.the desktop is connected to the router via cable using ethernet card.whereas the laptop is connected to the router via wireless.router is setup as a dhcp server,so im able to access internet on both computers simultaneously.but the problem is im unable to share files/folders between the 2 computers.how do i it? i read on the net that you cannot directly share files between a wired and a wireless lan,and you need to create a bridge(a software access point).does anyone here have a clue whats to be done.
laptop has a intel pro/100 VE card and the desktop has a realtek.
any help would be greatly appreciated ...thanks

wired and a wireless lan

There is no need of bridging, this is a single LAN.

Perhaps if you state the problem you are facing? Your description is vague. Do you know (in general) how to share files across a network?

description is vague???? what details do you want.i ve said my router is setup as a dhcp server to which the internet cable is directly connected.now the computer is connected to the router through cable and the laptop is connected to the router using wireless.doesn't the wireless use different protocols compared to ethernet
//ipaddress doesn't work...
and yes i do know how to share files(in general) on a network...but not sure if i ve missed anything.

No, the protocol differences don't show up here, because of the fact that they are both 802.xx standards with a gateway (your router) doing all conversion required.

Can you ping one comp from the other?

And do you have a firewall installed? ZoneAlarm used to prevent me from sharing files, I had to adjust some settings (I no longer use it)

That is why. Try switching off ZA and then pinging. If its starts working, then we can go about configuring ZA. The simplest way is to add the IP of the remote comp in ZA's trusted zone.

both have ZA...its pinging to the desktop from laptop but not the other way around...so the issue must be the laptop rite? are there any known compatibility issues with certain laptops...mine is a vaio

i just realised it was a zone alarm pro on the laptop ...i disabled it and it pinged from the desktop to the laptop.the normal zone alarm on the pc is not creating any problems

Reps! Reps!! I demand reps!

Oh well, good that your problem was solved. To tell you the truth, I once faced this problem too.

You can disable ZA if you are willing to forgo outbound protection, as the WRT54G has an inbuilt inbound firewall.

What long green bar, I have been repped just twice in the last three months!!! That too by a newer member, so I didn't get much out of it. Neither will I get much here, but I guess it is the thought that counts.

KingKrool said:
Reps! Reps!! I demand reps!
Oh well, good that your problem was solved. To tell you the truth, I once faced this problem too.
You can disable ZA if you are willing to forgo outbound protection, as the WRT54G has an inbuilt inbound firewall.
yea now tht i got the lan working will try playing around with ZA n router settings...

Back