sharing sify broadband connection by two computers

gemini23gm

Disciple
hello! members please help me I am using a sify broadband connection i am from pune I want to share it with another PC of my roommate.The problem is both of us have one Lan card each and mine card is used by sify broadband connection.Now how the two computers can connect with each other and share the same connection also the files and printer.Whats the options available with me should i buy a new LAn card for my comp or a hub or there any other cheaper and good way can i connect two computers via USB.Will the speed of internet on both the comps after sharing will be same or different.What about connecting via hub how much will it cost.Please help me!

gautam...

I would recommend a router, which is the best option for sify connection sharing. Price is probably 2k. If you cannot afford it and are willing to settle for less flexibility then get another NIC (200 rs) and use ICS in windows XP.

I have sify broadband... i tried for some 2 full days to configure it so that i can share it with my roommates comp.... but it dint succeed at all.... even after visiting numerous sites and trying so many times it dint work....

the problem starts with... when u have 2 enabled(active) local area connections the sify dialer doesnt work... u have the disable the other one till the u connect... then if u enable the other local area connection and try ICS... it doesnt work.... if u transfer some big file between the comps using the shared NICs... then internet doesnt work.... too much confusion.... so left the idea of sharing the internet....

Well use the easysify 3rd party dialer and select the network adaptor it uses to log onto sify.
Then you can use both ICS and sify at the same time. And it works perfectly fine.

itsmevivek said:
I have sify broadband... i tried for some 2 full days to configure it so that i can share it with my roommates comp.... but it dint succeed at all.... even after visiting numerous sites and trying so many times it dint work....

the problem starts with... when u have 2 enabled(active) local area connections the sify dialer doesnt work... u have the disable the other one till the u connect... then if u enable the other local area connection and try ICS... it doesnt work.... if u transfer some big file between the comps using the shared NICs... then internet doesnt work.... too much confusion.... so left the idea of sharing the internet....

i have the same config at home.
My PC :
NIC1 - Sify connection with 10.x.x.x as the ip address
NIC2 - connected to bro's PC with static ip address of 192.168.0.1

Bro's PC
NIC1 - connected to my PC with Static ip address of 192.168.0.2

I used Jana2 proxy server on my Pc and configured bro's pc to point to this
proxy server. i connect directly.

go through the guides section on TE. on 2nd or 3rd page you'll find a guide
by Unix to setup Jana2 proxy server.

both Sify BB client and EasySify work properly on this setup.

I used Jana2 proxy server on my Pc and configured bro's pc to point to this
proxy server. i connect directly.

ICS btween NIC1 and NIC2 should also work...shouldn't it?
You'd only have to add 192.168.0.1 as the gateway on ur bro's comp...

superczar said:
ICS btween NIC1 and NIC2 should also work...shouldn't it?
You'd only have to add 192.168.0.1 as the gateway on ur bro's comp...

yes it should, but I had already installed Jana2 as the proxy.
so feeling lazy to change things. :p

hi,
no other comp is not able to use net i have used jana server.tell me what coluld be the problem do i have to activate file and internet sharing on both comps. i have already activated but still not working what should i do please help.

gautam

hello,
now i am able to share the internetconnection,but not able to share the files and folder with comp2,and also i have to turn the firewall off for the NIC 2 on my comp if other has to surf the net,what could be the problem,mine computer is showing the other comp in entire network,in my network places ,but not able to acess other comp shared folder,it say u do not have acess ,network path does not exist,what should i do please help,while using netwok network wizard in windows XP on comp 2 which setting should i use ,that how this comp is connected.hope for a solution ffrom u members.

gautam...

gemini23gm said:
hello,
now i am able to share the internetconnection,but not able to share the files and folder with comp2,and also i have to turn the firewall off for the NIC 2 on my comp if other has to surf the net,what could be the problem,mine computer is showing the other comp in entire network,in my network places ,but not able to acess other comp shared folder,it say u do not have acess ,network path does not exist,what should i do please help,while using netwok network wizard in windows XP on comp 2 which setting should i use ,that how this comp is connected.hope for a solution ffrom u members.

gautam...

Just check 2 things, man!
1 - Check your firewall on your NIC2 for both computers. Turn it off, in Local, you dont need to use firewall :D
2 - Check Files and Printers Sharing Protocol (or smt like that) & Net BEUI in Properties of each Connection, if not, install it!
Good luck man

Rococo said:
Just check 2 things, man!
1 - Check your firewall on your NIC2 for both computers. Turn it off, in Local, you dont need to use firewall :D
2 - Check Files and Printers Sharing Protocol (or smt like that) & Net BEUI in Properties of each Connection, if not, install it!
Good luck man

Or you could create a zone in "Trusted" section of Firewall settings.
Just add the ip address of the other computer here and click Apply.

firewall should now allow the other PC to access yours. (it should have automatically detected this when starting ZA for the first time, but anyway)

as for the second problem, it could also be a user problem. I think you should
have your username created on the other pc as well and vice versa. do this and share a folder and check. if you filesystem is NTFS turn off "simple file sharing" in windows explorer Folder options. you should be able to see the security tab in the folder (that you want to share) properties.check if the other PC's user has the reqd access rights.

SpitefulPentium said:
yes it should, but I had already installed Jana2 as the proxy.
so feeling lazy to change things. :p

it should, but when I tried it using Sify BB client it didnt work. Sify BB client
does not allow this.

so back to square 1 :bleh:

ya same problem here not able to connect via bify bb on client comp.help i am not able to use easy sify can anyone tell me how to use it i tried but of no use.

gautam...

on the client comp you just have to configure the proxy setting in IE or FF.

go to Tools > Options > general > connection settings .

enter the ip address of your pc and the port number that you configured in jana.
and you are done. you should be able to connect ot the net using this. no need for sify bb lcient on the client pc. sify bb client must only run on your pc.

gemini23gm said:
hello! members please help me I am using a sify broadband connection i am from pune I want to share it with another PC of my roommate.The problem is both of us have one Lan card each and mine card is used by sify broadband connection.Now how the two computers can connect with each other and share the same connection also the files and printer.Whats the options available with me should i buy a new LAn card for my comp or a hub or there any other cheaper and good way can i connect two computers via USB.Will the speed of internet on both the comps after sharing will be same or different.What about connecting via hub how much will it cost.Please help me!

gautam...
HEY GAUTAM, I USE THE SAME CONNECITON, AND I GOT THE EXCELLENT IDEA TO SHARE THE SIFY OR ANY STATIC IP. ADDRESS INTERNET.
YOU CAN USE A BLUTOOTH DONGLE ON BOTH THE PCs. AND THEN ACCESS THE INTERNET ACCESS SERVICES FROM YOUR BLUETOOTH SOFTWARE. WORKS FOR BOTH MAJOR BLUETOOTHS. -WIDDCOM AND BLUESOLIL
I'M USING THIS AND ITS THE BEST.
YOU CAN ALSO SHARE YOUR FILES.
THE ONLY DRAWBAK , IS THAT IT GIVES THE MAXIMUM SPEED OF 800 kbps, BUT THAT MORE THAN ENOUGH, IF ONLY NEEDED TO SHARE CONNECTION.
SO CUT OFF THE CABLES NOW!

Back