Storage Solutions should all hdd's run at same temperature

nottheguru

Disciple
I have 2 80g Raptors on my home computer that run at 31-34 celsius. I have 2 WD 320g in a raid array at office that run from 41-50 celsius which I understand is high.

1. Is there a way to install a fan or heatsink or something to cool them down?

2. Does the size of the drive, rpm's, etc., affect the temperature?

3. Is there any other consideration I am missing?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :huh:

Faster drives run hotter, and i also depends on airflow in the immediate area of the drive. Drives should be OK if you don't run them at 55 degrees 24x7, but it also depends on the drive.

The first generation Barracudas would be constantly at 60 degrees, but they seemed to work fine.The latest run much cooler. I've had a 40GB 7200.7 that runs in a very bad environment at 50 degrees 24x7x365x6 and is still going strong, and a Maxtor that went bust after two years at temps just over 45. Not that the heat killed it, though.

Generally, under 45 degrees you should be safe.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, I thought it strange that the 2 at home ran 16-18 degrees cooler (using the same software for monitoring) than the 2 here at office. They both have the same cooling setup and both have drives stacked in bays above each other. Maybe i should seperate them with an empty bay and see what happens.

I need to add a 3rd drive; Does anyone know of any freeware utility that will monitor more than 2 drives?

Speedfan monitors upto 4. I don't have more disks than that, but it's probably can read more.

Also there's a free utility called Dtemp, that also does 4 drives.

Thanks Everyone for the tips. I decided to fork out $30usd for Everest Ultimate Edition because it does complete benchmark testing and has an option to display time, temps, voltages and anything else you'd want to know in an easy to see window right on the desktop and/or you can display it all on the system tray.

Now I just have to figure out what type & brand of HDD cooler to buy.

Back