Should I give my pet?

I can understand the situation @m-jeri.Its very tough to let someone go whom you love a lot.But let me tell you guys even if I had to let my pet go i would have given it to someone who can take care of him.I talked to the guy from where I adopted my pet.He said me to give it to him.He would take care of him.

Setting a dog who was entirely brought up from her childhood and who was ill was a cruel thing to do. It would be more humane to out her down.
Sorry if my words sounds rude to you but just can't help.
Hence why he still feels sorry about it. Totally avoidable.

I can't even let go of my gadgets let alone something like this :D

Last edited:
I have 8 dogs. Men in our family are dog lovers. Women are not.

I will tell something that my dad still feels sorry about.

We had :( a Rottweiler named Julie. She was around 4 years old. She got a stomach disease. She couldn't eat. If she eats, she will puke or her poop will stick a lot. She got weak. Thin. The other dogs also got upset due to this.
They all got dull. My dad took her to the vet every week for around 3 or 4 months. Her weekly expenses came upto around 7k to 8k. Special diet, medicines, vet etc. She started to wail in nights. My dad has to get up. Bring it our house's front porch. (The kennels were in a kinda seperate compound.) Sit with her. She will sleep off. My dad will too. He is old, it was tough for him. The vet kept telling him to put her down. My mom too. Money was ok to ignore. But it took too much of a toll on my dad. Julie loved my dad. She always sit like leaning on him even she was well. She was a very very very kind and meek doggie.

In the end, he gave her a good bath. Put her with a leather leash and took her around 20 kms in our car to a estate with my mum. My mom said julie was like nuts in the car. she was happy. He let her out of the car and just drove off. Julie chased them for around a minute or 2 and then dad just went faster. From that moment to around 2 weeks.. my dad was like gloomy and sad. Never talked too much to others. My mom got sick of that too. She told him lets go and get her back. They went back. But they didn't found her. My dad promised himself, if at all such a case comes, they will die at our home only.

Raising dogs IS like raising a kid. Non dog lovers will never ever understand this.

Yeah it might seem foolish for non dog lovers but its true. Couple of weeks back our dog (Rocky) passed away. RIP.

I have 8 dogs. Men in our family are dog lovers. Women are not.

I...

wow. just wow. cant believe i am reading this. am sorry but that was terrible. so the dog was left to fend for itself & that too when it was so sick? it would have died alone & in pain & after a lot of suffering. jeez..

why not put her out of her misery & put her down?[DOUBLEPOST=1424807956][/DOUBLEPOST]i wish you hadnt put up that story am going to be disturbed for a while now :(

Last edited:
@evilwit : All the best for making a decision and glad that some experienced people here shared their advice.I wish a better health for your GS Doggie.
@m-jeri : Rula diya man.I've always wanted a pet (pref. a dog) since childhood but avoided asking or getting one since we're not ready for it.

This thread reminds me that i made a good choice.
I am looking forward to the day where i am strong enough - emotionally,financially - to get a good friend in a pet.
For now,i'll be looking for opportunities where i can get a chance to help out our canine friends.

@evilwit : All the best for making a decision and glad that some experienced people here shared their advice.I wish a better health for your GS Doggie.
@m-jeri : Rula diya man.I've always wanted a pet (pref. a dog) since childhood but avoided asking or getting one since we're not ready for it.

This thread reminds me that i made a good choice.
I am looking forward to the day where i am strong enough - emotionally,financially - to get a good friend in a pet.
For now,i'll be looking for opportunities where i can get a chance to help out our canine friends.
Yeah its a better decision to rather not adopt a pet than leaving him alone when he is in pain.Its literally a dharam sankat.And I have decided that I will never let him go and even if he dies or lives,it will be in front of me because I am sentimentally attached to him.

financially - to get a good friend in a pet.

There are so many things you can buy for your doggie just like you can buy for yourself. There are supermarkets here(Petsmart) just for pets. I sometimes go there to just walk. You can take your pets inside!!!!!. Atleast the one near to my house allows. Each time I go, I keep buying my aishwarya something new :mad: :mad:. Yea, it will be ruined in a week or 2 though.

financially - to get a good friend in a pet
To adopt a pet you don't need to be strong financially!!
Adopt a stray pup, give him enough love and routine food (roti/rice/milk, some chicken - if you're no-v eg). You'll need 2/3 vaccines each year. With this little expenditure you'll get unconditional love and gratitude that you'll find difficult to reciprocate.

^^

:).

The food groups that you have mentioned may not be enough all the time. Depends upon breed, age, size, temperament, climate where you live. I have no information regarding stray dog breeds however.

We have Lab, Golden Retriever, Rottweiler and Rottweiler brindle now. We had pug and Bull mastiff. All the dogs had their own style of eating. And not to mention the amount. Bull mastiff's have a bottomless pitt for a stomach. She could eat and eat and eat. And all of our dogs stopped eating meat alone or raw in a short while. We had to mix em in rice. So more effort. And we started off with just milk for the pups. We lost the entire first season of litters due to health issues. It was a messed up time. Then the vets started to prescribe small tablets which we grind in the milk and give em. Not to mention the meds that we give in small drops.

And when we have pups, its another fun time. Pedigree, special biscuits. Especially for the labs and retrievers. Vets say if just normal food, they will be come dull. Seeing a dull golden retriever is a sad sight. They want to play. all the time.

And all this, when the dogs are healthy. God forbid when they become sick, you are in for a tough time. I didn't know dogs had hip problems before we started to raise dogs.

All the above is stopping us from getting a Alaskan Husky pup. We know someone who just raises these. He got around 12 of em. Beautiful strong and amazing dogs they are. But just too bloody damn expensive to maintain them in Trivandrum, kerala.

Then again, for the local breeds, which is referred to as stray dogs. They are meant to be in their local climate.

^^That is why I specifically mentioned a stray pup. Just check it is healthy. Do you think the strays have Pedigree and stuffs? I have a stray in my house. We feed her chicken-rice, fish-rice for lunch and rotis for dinner, some biscuits in the morning and afternoon. Anything not salty and oily she can have. Also, we do not give her anything with onions. Added some multivitamin syrup daily followed by deworming every 3 months and mandatory vaccines (this is the costliest part) once a year and she is fit and fine. Anything extra that we give her is her treat like a piece of Paneer every night. She won't eat her rotis until we give her the Paneer. She is not chained, lives inside the house and sleeps in her own bed under my bed. I'm away from home for last few months and I'm quite reassured about the safety of my family at home because of her :).
Fancy breeds needs more care, attention and special foods.

^^That is why I specifically mentioned a stray pup....
Fancy breeds needs more care, attention and special foods.

unfortunately a lot of people go for breeds that are "in fashion" (like pugs after the vodafone ads) without researching the pros/cons & suitability (to local weather, etc). can only imagine what, say, huskies go through in india. how much ever they get used to the weather or they are kept in ACs 24x7 doubt they will ever be as at ease as they should be

thats why indidogs rule. they are as cute as any other breed, suitable for local weather, cheaper to maintain & if you adopt a stray you're doing a world of good too

Yes you need air conditioned kennels for huskies and few other breeds in Kerala or south in general. And trimming their coats in regular(I live in one of the coldest states in US, huskies are all in abundance. with very very very thick coats ). That's the only way to make em feel comfortable. No need to have any doubts for their well being. You can tell dogs health by regular checkup and their temperaments. Although I have a colleague in Mysore who has a husky mutt with no AC or anything. She is as healthy and active as my lab.

Although adopting a "stray" should never be a straightforward affair or easy as people take it. Any dogs that needs to be adopted have to be thoroughly checked by the vet, which I doubt will ever happen. And raising a "stray" dog even 6 months+ old in a house with little kids should be treated with utmost caution. Kids take dogs as dolls. literally. I have seen my 2 year old niece hug a full grown bull mastiff(The thing was like 10 times bigger than her?? ), sleep on his stomach when he also fell asleep, touch his mouth, play with their ears and wait for it... ate half the chocolate after he ate the other, which threw my mother into a fit. So needless to say, you need to know your dogs health from the start. One of the reasons people go for pedigree dogs is their complete history. One with all the certificates, chip, lineage etc.

Back